511B and PD-5VH, D250-X (to 4kHZ)?

arficus

Please forgive the non-specific Klipsch question, but my online searching seems to indicate that you folks might be the only ones that have the experience to help...

I have Jensen Imperial corner horns, ca 1950's, originally crossed at 600Hz and 4kHz. I blew a mid (diaphragms no longer available) and thought it might be improvement to try larger horn. I bought Altec 511B and Great Plains Audio 909A (altec clone), but it was readily apparent this combo was severely lacking below 1kHz.  

On a different forum I was told that 1" ferrite altec drivers are not loaded properly by 511s and are generally only good for 1.2kHz. Can't currently afford vintage alnico altec, so here I am, looking for relatively inexpensive alternative.
PD-5VH and D250-X seem like obvious options? The only place I could find discussion of the former is here, and there seems to be a fair amount re latter as well.

The main complaints I've seen here about D250-X is its lack of extension to 6k. I'm aiming far lower. So, I'm wondering:
1) Aside from its better frequency response, is the Atlas a clearly better sounding driver? (If not I'd be happy to save $225 w/JBL's)
2) Is there another possibly better option I'm overlooking?  

Thanks

Edited by arficus

What you need is John Allen A55G driver.

It is, in essence, a K55V but with much less distortion and a smoother response.

I can attest of the superior sound quality versus the Atlas driver.

I use mine between 400 and 6K Hz and they are smoooooooooth.

Last time I checked, Bob Crites / BEC speakers was selling them, that's where I bought mine.

• Thanks 2

You should check with Great Plains...I believe you can replace the diaphragm in the 909 with the ones for the ferrite 902 model (8 or 16 ohm available).

The 902-8b was used by Altec for many home and studio monitoring audio applications where power handling is not as important.

Some here have crossed it over at 500 Hz and below (you may want to search the site for "511B").

I have seen some suggestions that crossing at 600 hz and above is better.

The 902 will easily reach 6K (decent to 12K or above).

That being said, if had a set of original Imperials, I would sell the 511b combo (quick) and buy these (assuming yours don't have the combined mid tweeter unit):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-RP-201-Pair-Drivers-and-Horns-Vintage-matching-and-working-great/223748458152?hash=item34187286a8:g:r8sAAOSw6vBdzFI0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rolox said:

What you need is John Allen A55G driver.

It is, in essence, a K55V but with much less distortion and a smoother response.

I can attest of the superior sound quality versus the Atlas driver.

I use mine between 400 and 6K Hz and they are smoooooooooth.

Last time I checked, Bob Crites / BEC speakers was selling them, that's where I bought mine.

From website:

"(Out of stock. New stock expected perhaps March 2021.  Blame this crazy virus.)"

5 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

That being said, if had a set of original Imperials, I would sell the 511b combo (quick) and buy these (assuming yours don't have the combined mid tweeter unit):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-RP-201-Pair-Drivers-and-Horns-Vintage-matching-and-working-great/223748458152?hash=item34187286a8:g:r8sAAOSw6vBdzFI0

Why? Because of a desire to keep them original or because you believe the Jensen's sound better? I know the Jensen RP302 tweeters in these things command much respect, but have never seen glowing reports re the mids.

Either way I'm quite reticent to buy drivers for which diaphragms aren't available. Inspection of my failed one reveals dry rot was at least partly to blame for its failure. These are all very old drivers at this point.

6 hours ago, Randyh said:

the JBL D250-X is 8 ohms -----the PD5VH is 16 ohms -   what model driver are you using for the mids   

That's what I'm here asking advice about - which driver to use for mids. I have 5-6 amps powering drivers and fairly flexible xovers to work with, so I think I could get any impedance to work. 

Because that is what they were designed to have, including the original crossovers...I  wouldn't swap the horn unless you are thinking about some major crossover rework or an active setup...just my 2 cents (I actually have a 511B/902-8b setup I am looking to fool around with as well on my LaScalas)

Just now, hanksjim1 said:

Because that is what they were designed to have, including the original crossovers...I  wouldn't swap the horn unless you are thinking about some major crossover rework or an active setup...just my 2 cents (I actually have a 511B/902-8b setup I am looking to fool around with as well on my LaScalas)

Oops, I just commented about that above - yes, I'm active. And thanks for the diaphragm suggestion, I'll look into that.

18 hours ago, arficus said:

From website:

"(Out of stock. New stock expected perhaps March 2021.  Blame this crazy virus.)"

Then find a pair of atlas / K55V in good condition and go from there?.. they are not bad drivers, used within their limitations

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rolox said:

Then find a pair of atlas / K55V in good condition and go from there?.. they are not bad drivers, used within their limitations

I gambled and ordered a pair of JBL 250-X (only $75). Guess I'll try the Atlas if they don't please me. Thanks.

2 hours ago, arficus said:

I gambled and ordered a pair of JBL 250-X (only $75). Guess I'll try the Atlas if they don't please me. Thanks.

Hmm hmmm... well, I guess for the price there's not much to lose.

Let us know how they sound. I'm curious to know if such a cheap driver can sound decent, to be honest. But maybe you'll have a pleasant surprise?...

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:58 AM, arficus said:

Please forgive the non-specific Klipsch question, but my online searching seems to indicate that you folks might be the only ones that have the experience to help...

I have Jensen Imperial corner horns, ca 1950's, originally crossed at 600Hz and 4kHz. I blew a mid (diaphragms no longer available) and thought it might be improvement to try larger horn. I bought Altec 511B and Great Plains Audio 909A (altec clone), but it was readily apparent this combo was severely lacking below 1kHz.  

On a different forum I was told that 1" ferrite altec drivers are not loaded properly by 511s and are generally only good for 1.2kHz. Can't currently afford vintage alnico altec, so here I am, looking for relatively inexpensive alternative.
PD-5VH and D250-X seem like obvious options? The only place I could find discussion of the former is here, and there seems to be a fair amount re latter as well.

The main complaints I've seen here about D250-X is its lack of extension to 6k. I'm aiming far lower. So, I'm wondering:
1) Aside from its better frequency response, is the Atlas a clearly better sounding driver? (If not I'd be happy to save $225 w/JBL's)
2) Is there another possibly better option I'm overlooking?  

Thanks

I had used the D-250-x on a 511B (approx 500hz) along with a D-220Ti crossed over at approx 4k/4.5k without a low pass crossover on the mid and 12db on the tweeter.  That combination worked very very well.  Decided to swap out to Faital Pro hf10AK on the 511B for a 2-way setup.  A visual statement was the key to the change, not sound.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pzannucci said:

I had used the D-250-x on a 511B (approx 500hz) along with a D-220Ti crossed over at approx 4k/4.5k without a low pass crossover on the mid and 12db on the tweeter.  That combination worked very very well.  Decided to swap out to Faital Pro hf10AK on the 511B for a 2-way setup.  A visual statement was the key to the change, not sound.

Glad to hear that. It seems several people around here have toyed with this driver, and while I have read some opinions declaring it not a great candidate for K55 replacement due to freq response, I haven't read anyone decrying its overall sound - fairly remarkable for a $35 driver. I'll check in with my impression in a few days.

Don't get me wrong, the PD5vh is a superior driver to the D-250x BUT I have used the 250 in the past due to budget restrictions and was surprised how good it sounds.

I was resurrecting an old pair of Speakerlab 6 that I had built around 1979-80 for my brother. Fast forward 30 years and his kids had abused/ destroyed these once fine speakers. He was going to throw them out, so I decided to try to breathe life into them. I didn't want to put perfume on a pig so I went on the cheap with the 250 and liked the result. Still use them from time to time as garage speakers and still going strong. 

I have two pair of the Atlas PD5VH running in a set of Belles and a set of LSi splits. Great driver, but considerably higher cost.

Good luck with yours. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

Don't get me wrong, the PD5vh is a superior driver to the D-250x BUT I have used the 250 in the past due to budget restrictions and was surprised how good it sounds.

I was resurrecting an old pair of Speakerlab 6 that I had built around 1979-80 for my brother. Fast forward 30 years and his kids had abused/ destroyed these once fine speakers. He was going to throw them out, so I decided to try to breathe life into them. I didn't want to put perfume on a pig so I went on the cheap with the 250 and liked the result. Still use them from time to time as garage speakers and still going strong. 

I have two pair of the Atlas PD5VH running in a set of Belles and a set of LSi splits. Great driver, but considerably higher cost.

Good luck with yours. 

1 hour ago, arficus said:

Glad to hear that. It seems several people around here have toyed with this driver, and while I have read some opinions declaring it not a great candidate for K55 replacement due to freq response, I haven't read anyone decrying its overall sound - fairly remarkable for a $35 driver. I'll check in with my impression in a few days.

Good driver and when you factor in the price, great.  Experiment with some damping in the cavity and you can kick it up a notch. 

• Thanks 1