Cornwall IV vs La Scala 2

Jono72

Hi Everyone, first time poster hailing from Sydney, Australia.

I recently listened to a pair of Forte 3's at a high end audio store in Sydney Australia. I was instantly hooked to the live sound, it really is like being at a concert. Amazing.

Anyway, there are a pair of demo La Scala 2s available for sale for $8900 USD, in Australia. last of the last (no. 70 of 70) 70th Anniversary editions. For about the same price I can source a pair of Cornwall 4s landed from USA. After shipping, tax etc (RRP $12000 USD local price, here in rip off land). They are located on the other side of the country. Therefore no demo.

Unfortunately I cannot demo either, so I was hoping for some friendly advice from you good people. What would you choose given the following information.

I listen to classic rock Springsteen, Neil Young et al. and modern Indie rock. Room size is large open plan 23ft by 17ft, predominantly carpeted floors.

I would respect your advice as to solid state amplification also. A local home theatre guy just sold demo Cornwall 3s for about $4k USD which I would have bought but was too slow. He said that he had them paired up to an Anthem STR and he rated that combination very highly. Maybe the ARC room correction feature would be handy. I am a McIntosh fan and was thinking MA5300, both amps have all in one box facilities such as phono and digital input. Any other amplification suggestions? No tubes thanks!

Not being able to demo these is unfortunate, but anything that sounds like a forte 3 on a larger scale would be what I am seeking. The La Scala 2 represents good value as a run out model. But maybe the virtues of a pair of Cornwall 4s would be better given these are represent the latest iteration of Cornwall, maybe these are a better speaker. What are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your thoughts and input.

Cheers

Jono

• Like 1

I am always going to come down on the side of a folded horn. I bet you can haggle on the LSii price and ask for somewhere around 6500usd... maybe less in this economy.

do you know Archie Luxury (Paul Pluta) by any chance?

Welcome to the forum.

These two posts summarize my own opinion of the Cornwall IV vs La Scala II: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/186007-cornwall-iv/&do=findComment&comment=2447391https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/186007-cornwall-iv/&do=findComment&comment=2447418.

For that large an investment, I strongly advise that you listen for yourself. Since you cannot arrange for a demo of either, I advise waiting until you can. Really, the only ears that can evaluate the sound are yours.

Even with as many nice things as I have heard about the Cornwall four, with your taste in music and room size I personally would definitely go with the La Scala 2s and Mcintosh. I own both and they complement each other very well.  Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new acquisitions.

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems as though Klipsch are on a product update drive at the moment. I wonder about future resale? How easy is it to offload a La Scala vs a Cornwall? I guess the latest iteration of Cornwall has just been produced and may not be updated for some years and same for La Scala 2 which has just been updated to AL5. Maybe I should take a flight to have a look at those La Scala's. We are currently in State by State Lockdown and I could not fly to Western Australia for love or money at the moment. I can afford to be patient. Thanks again everyone especially Edgar I did read that thread. It seems Cornwall has the edge on bottom end extension and midrange quality too. I would appreciate any other opinions from those that have heard both...Cheers team Jono

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

let me just say , that would a 70 th aniversary lascala be for sale in the USA ----It would be gone in 5 minutes  , now what makes it  that this pair landed in Australia is quite your lucky day -

The La Scala for me is certainly the most eye catching piece of architectural loudspeaker to me. I understand that the veneer is Australian walnut, so there is a nod to it's origin there too i guess! I could maybe negotiate $7500 USD for the demo 70th anniversary La Scala 2. What they charge in this country for La Scala is actually eye watering. Try $22,000 USD. They have been for sale for some months. This gives me some time to negotiate and ask questions. On another note, does anyone add a sub to augment the lowest octave or is that not considered kosher? If anyone else has some input, as many and varied opinions would be appreciated!

8 hours ago, Schu said:

I am always going to come down on the side of a folded horn. I bet you can haggle on the LSii price and ask for somewhere around 6500usd... maybe less in this economy.

do you know Archie Luxury (Paul Pluta) by any chance?

Hi Schu, No I don't know Archie Luxury at all. Is he an Aussie?

Even though both speakers are part of the Heritage series from klipsch, they are are fundamentally different. The sound from a tight LF section is really very impressive and once experienced, can not be replaced with a direct radiating woofer.

Do not miss a chance to own the last pair of new 70th LSII.

Beat on the dealer with LSII. Offer 5;000.00 USD. They will accept. Might take a few days. Mention the CW IV option. Those 70th Anniversary speakers are 4 years old.

LS is tuned with a high roll off in the bass. Room gain helps a little. CW IV may not need a sub.

There are many options for good subs in the 1,000.00 -1;500.00 range. Check pro lines too.