NBS phono tube suggestions

hcnelly

So I currently have an NBS Preamp and a (stereo Vrd- with stock tubes) paired with my modified Klipsch Belle....

To all NBS preamp owners with a phono section, what tubes are your favorite? I currently use 2 mullard cv4024 from 1983 in the 12at7 spots.

I also use a mullard longplate f92 in the 12ax7 spot. I really like the longplate, as it seems to breathe life into my records. Excellent low end, with a lovely detailed midrange, but a high end that I find fatiguing after a while. I really dig the energy it brings when it comes to hard rock though. It has started making whistling noises, and I need to replace it. They are pretty expensive, which is turning me off from getting another one 

So again, what are you guys using? Is there an affordable combo that you guys like? I like vintage tubes in the phono section. Feel free to share whatever you use. Thanks!

Chad 

Mullard's are hard to beat in the NBS.  I really liked the Brimar military black plates... a little bit more clarity... nice top to bottom!  

I liked the Reflektor 6H30P-DR... expensive but perfect balance compared to the Sovtek.  

• Thanks 1

Hey muel,

Yeah, I've been interested in the brimar or even a mullard cv4004. The cost is getting too high for me, but I have found mullards to be my go to. I'm hesitant to try other nos tubes in case I don't like them, but it's really tempting. I'm interested in some early amperex foil d getters.

Any other 12at7 to try in the v1 position?

I still have a sovtek 6h30- what differences did you notice using the reflektor? 

I'll have to look at my supply of 12at7... I don't remember what I have off hand.  This is why it is a good idea to take notes!  Mullard, Amperex, Tele's... it's hard to go wrong.    I rolled just about everything I had through there.  I'll look at reply back when I can.  

The Reflektor is subtle but had a better image it seemed.  I can say mine measured better with identical output on each side... the Sovtek's were off by a bit.  

• 6 months later...

Just got NBS to go with my VRD stereo amp.  Wondering about tube layout. Craig told me the 3 tubes are phono stage only. I currently only stream digital. Would the at7  influence the sound of line out? Thinking nos Mullard.  I’m assuming it would.

thanks for any experiences you can relate, Ted

8E7794F6-9012-4F0A-A2BD-D774F29AC9D7.jpeg

• Like 1

yes, it will influence sound... Mullard is a great place to begin or end.

My favorites for that spot are Mullard or especially Telefunken... but it depends on what you are trying to capture and what the rest of your set up is comprised of.

Pretty much anything is going to sound good in that circuit, just different flavors of good.

33425253461_8d02fe8b94_h.jpg

I'd be interested in hear the difference between the 6h30 and the 6dj8 NBS's... I think I remember hearing Craig say that the differences are fairly negligible.

Did you happen to get a wood case with your rare NBS?

I feel like Craig said finding a quiet 6dj8 can be difficult. Otherwise seems like a wash between the 2, I guess.

i still have a little midrange harshness. I have 2” dsm 50’s with fastlane wooden eliptical horns.  I can’t seem to shake the slight “metallic, edgy” sound above 75db. 
thinking a Nos Mullard in the pre might bring a little more smoothness 

granularity is my most hated attribute... I can not stand it and I hear right away.

25453629647_aa928b8d79_k.jpg

the 10m mullard is an awesome tube, but the Telefunken is magical... so much so I don't use it because, I want to save it. The 6dj8 has been decently quite in my system with 105db efficiency... not as quite as when I had Class D in with the NBS, but very good nine the less.

• 3 months later...

So, I had a 12ax7 mullard long plate halo getter from 1968 or 69 in the 12ax7 phono spot of my nbs. Very magical, but too much of a good thing....I found it overly fatiguing with long listening hours...I ended up getting some military brimars in the 12at7 and 12ax7 spots....a very laid back, but detailed sound, without a ton of bass, but with a good punch...I definitely dig it, and it opened up the 12ax7 and 12au7 options on my stereo vrd. I just wanted to share that.

Bottom line, all of these tubes are circuit dependent....a warm tube might not sound so warm, depending on where it's at in the chain ...just wanted to share what other's probably already know. It took me forever to figure that out. Im enjoying my records again.

• Like 1