Thoughts on Peavey FH-2?

Cornwalled

Hello all,

What you guys think of the Peavey FH-2?  There's a pair available for $300.  I'm more familiar with the FH-1 from the old Project system.  The FH-1 reminded me of a LaScala bass bin, with a single 15, but the FH-2 is different.

The FH-2 has two 15s firing sideways into the horn.  It looks to be a fair amount larger than the FH-1.  If the spec sheet is right, these things weigh 250 pounds a piece!  Oy, and the theater room I wanted to use them in is upstairs!  I really wouldn't want to carry them all the way up only to be disappointed.

What do you think, would it be possible to build a sort of super LaScala with these to use a front speakers for my home theater?  The focus would be on retro movies on Laserdisc and VHS.  Trying to get that old theater sound, but with the ability to still have fun with the occasional blu-ray.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!  I can check them out this week if you think it's worth it.  The only thing that scares me a bit is the sheer size of them.

-Jon

EDIT: Just thought, maybe I should have put this in Pro Audio instead?  If you feel it is better suited there, feel free to move it.

Peavey FH-2 1.jpg

Peavey FH-2 2.jpg

Peavey FH-2 Spec Sheet.pdf

@ClaudeJ1 he seems to know about some of these designs, especially the Peavy FH-1 you refer too.  Being a bit wider and with double 15s,  would say this is closer to a MWM. Looking at the design, it looks as the woofers are working in a push/pull configuration, but I could be wrong.  For $300 I would give it a shoot, but I am sucker for big @$$ bass bins/horns.  

The -10dB point is 48Hz, the -3dB at 60.

My MWMs do much better, but these a a lot smaller (although not much lighter... The MWMs are about 280 lbs.) At least you could get these through doorways...

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Looking at the design, it looks as the woofers are working in a push/pull configuration, but I could be wrong. 

They each fire sideways into the left/right horns. They wouldn't be in a push-pull. This is still a very short horn.

Screenshot at 2020-04-15 12-44-35.jpg

Screenshot at 2020-04-15 12-45-38.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

@ClaudeJ1 he seems to know about some of these designs, especially the Peavy FH-1 you refer too.  Being a bit wider and with double 15s,  would say this is closer to a MWM. Looking at the design, it looks as the woofers are working in a push/pull configuration, but I could be wrong.  For $300 I would give it a shoot, but I am sucker for big @$$ bass bins/horns.  

I think ALL horn woofers need SUBS, so 60 Hz. cutoff is actually just fine by me. A pair of LAB 12 Tapped Horns would work with these for an additional 2 octaves. I just sold my last flatpack to a guy in Ohio, he's got 2 firing into the corners of a large room. He called to tell me how incredible those tapped horn subs were with his Klipsch KPT-456's, so I can only imagine what it would be like with the Big Peavey Horns working in concert. I have some Peavey horns and drivers to go with those woofer sections if you are interested. The Midbass horns are flat from 300-1200 Hz. (12" driver) and the treble horns were on top of FH1's with the best drivers. No crossovers though but a set of mini DSP's would make that a hell of system to beat if you had the space for it.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:08 AM, Cornwalled said:

Hello all,

What you guys think of the Peavey FH-2?  There's a pair available for $300.  I'm more familiar with the FH-1 from the old Project system.  The FH-1 reminded me of a LaScala bass bin, with a single 15, but the FH-2 is different.

The FH-2 has two 15s firing sideways into the horn.  It looks to be a fair amount larger than the FH-1.  If the spec sheet is right, these things weigh 250 pounds a piece!  Oy, and the theater room I wanted to use them in is upstairs!  I really wouldn't want to carry them all the way up only to be disappointed.

What do you think, would it be possible to build a sort of super LaScala with these to use a front speakers for my home theater?  The focus would be on retro movies on Laserdisc and VHS.  Trying to get that old theater sound, but with the ability to still have fun with the occasional blu-ray.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!  I can check them out this week if you think it's worth it.  The only thing that scares me a bit is the sheer size of them.

-Jon

EDIT: Just thought, maybe I should have put this in Pro Audio instead?  If you feel it is better suited there, feel free to move it.

Peavey FH-2 1.jpg

Peavey FH-2 2.jpg

Peavey FH-2 Spec Sheet.pdf 155.77 kB · 3 downloads

You can't go wrong at the price. These are a rare gem nowadays. I have the rest of the system components if you are interested in completing those. You won't regret it.

I just measured the inside of my SUV.  As I suspected, I can't fit both of these at the same time.  So, at best, I'd have to take two trips.  These things are monsters..LOL!  I'm beginning to seriously consider whether I can handle moving these on my own.  I feel like I'd be better off renting a cargo van and getting a buddy to come along.  Trouble is right now, most rental places seem to be closed.

7 hours ago, Cornwalled said:

JClaude,

Which midbass horns do you have?  As I understand it, there was the MB-1, which was more of a long throw horn, and the MB-2 which was the short horn, which looked more like a VOTT type setup.

It's neither. Never had an MB-2, which was made out of wood to sit on top of an FH-1, but I had 4 MB-1s with that amazing 12" driver in a compression chamber with a phase plug. It was pretty flat from 180 to 700 Hz. The one I have, I can post pictures of if you are interested.

Hi ClaudeJ1,

Sorry for confusion.  You mentioned you had the other components to complete the system.  I'd be interested in knowing more about what you have.  If you'd like to shoot me a PM instead, that would be fine too.

Thanks,

Jon

• 1 year later...