Center Channel Speaker help

Nay Zam

I have been working on upgrading our home audio system for a while now. Last year I grabbed a set of R-28-F towers for a great price and would like to add a center channel speaker that will complement them. Im happy with the way they sound but they don’t quite blow me away but for the price I can’t complain. I know the R-25C is the recommended center for these speakers but that model is now discontinued plus if I could get a higher level center I think I’d be much happier with the set up. I know I risk the center drowning out the towers but if that really becomes an issue I can always upgrade them down the road.  I primarily use the system for music and occasionally home theater. Any suggestions on which I should get? I’d like to try to stay below $600 for it as well. 

I imagine you can find plenty of R-25C's on Ebay or Amazon.  New and used.  If you would like a higher level center then you should look at any of the reference premier centers, but I would stick to one with at least 5.25" mids or larger.  That way if you get the bug to upgrade your towers down the road you can jump up to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered bi-wiring the R-28's? There are usually two camps on this as some can tell a difference and some can't. This may have to do with the receiver being used but I'm no scientist and won't even open that door. I can tell you with my Onkyo amp and bi-wiring my R-28's I could tell a immediate difference in clarity compared to a single wire set up. I was running a R-25C as a front channel but switched to a RP-450C and both sounded good matched with the R-28's. I've made several changes since switching the center channel and would need to do a back to back comparison to determine a winner in that match up. I decided to stay in the 4" woofer range for all my surrounds mostly for my OCD since I run all of them without grills and my main system is in my basement with low ceilings. I just figured 1/2 the size of the front tower woofers for everything would be sufficient.