Which is better - Jubilee or AK6?

secretplayer

There is absolutely no question about it. The Jubilee wins hands down.

If you are worried about the size, remember the foot print is about the same. If you are worried about the overall size (the height), then you can substitute the K-510 horn for the big K-402 (it is the design family of modified tractrix horns from Roy Delgado).

You will probably read all sorts of things about "needing" to swap drivers etc. Don't let that deter you. A stock configuration, right out of the box will sound great, probably better than anything you have ever heard. If you are worried about cosmetics, there are several different strategies to make them a bit more decor-friendly.  

What part of the country do you live in? Owners always like to show off the Jubilees.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would love a pair of Jubilees and would take them over the newest Klipschorn. What I have is already larger so downsizing to the Jubilee would certainly make my wife happy. The only reason I have larger speakers is that they were, for the most part, given to me.

@Randyh We have power back and the city is cleaning up from the 4 tornados the hit Sunday night.

Have used this two separate ways, both using my DHA2 crossover from my LaScalas:

1. MWM bass cabinets instead of the single K33 LS bass cabs. K400 mid with an EV 1828 driver and Eminence APT50 driver on an Eminence horn for the tweeter.

2. MWM bass cabinets, Selenium H4950SL 2inch horn with PAudio BMD750 driver, and same tweeter

I've powered them both ways with my 2A3 amps, approx. 3.5 watts per channel, or my modified Crown D-45 at about 25wpc, and the larger Crown Xli800, around 250-300 wpc.

Preamp is always a JMA Merlin, and almost always wth a 30 yr old JVC cd player.

The 2A3 amps are awesome on the regular LS setup, but not quite as tight with the larger cabinets, although still can get too loud. The D-45 equals the 2A3 amps powering the LS config, and works really, really well with either of the larger combinations. The Xli800 keeps the bottom very solid and seems fine on the top end as well, perhaps not quite as refined as the other two amps.

I do have an SL1200MkII with an Ortofon Red cart for when I need or wa t to play any of the vinyl I still have, but it goes through an inexpensive Audio Technica phono pre.

Probably used too much snooty hifi buzzwords to describe it, but it's pretty much pieced together...

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 4/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, PrestonTom said:

There is absolutely no question about it. The Jubilee wins hands down.

If you are worried about the size, remember the foot print is about the same. If you are worried about the overall size (the height), then you can substitute the K-510 horn for the big K-402 (it is the design family of modified tractrix horns from Roy Delgado).

You will probably read all sorts of things about "needing" to swap drivers etc. Don't let that deter you. A stock configuration, right out of the box will sound great, probably better than anything you have ever heard. If you are worried about cosmetics, there are several different strategies to make them a bit more decor-friendly.  

What part of the country do you live in? Owners always like to show off the Jubilees.

Good luck,

-Tom

+1

10 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

For which loudspeaker section exactly??

Claude, the whole thing. I'm using the passive from the LS at the moment. I don't have the dinero to get the active stuff set up... not yet, anyway.

Sounds like Jubilees are ahead in the vote so far. Thanks to all that are contributing!

I live in the Louisville metro area, Preston, Tom.

Are there any suggestions were Jubilee to win on appearance mods? Not certain that a mid-century industrial / 'behind the screen' vibe will work in my home with either my spouse - or my internal sensibilities. That comparo would need to be in person certainly. Don't know how to get the comparo part done that must include both speakers in attendance.

Incidentally - I have asked the same question " Which is better - Jubilee or AK6" of an in-house person at Hope. So far no responses there as yet.

Existing pre and power may need to change too. I have super efficient speakers now - but they also seem do very well with SS and 200 w.

SP

In terms of cosmetics, there are several strategies. See the threads and photos by 1) Rigma, 2) Kudret, and 3) The CES convention that PWK was at (there are some photos if you search, and 4) my own. Very different approaches and each can be modified to suit your lifestyle. My list was brief and there are other good examples, but my memory is working against me right now. 

I would not worry about the amplifiers. 

A side by side comparison would be difficult, but Corey might have something or at least a recommendation (  https://www.facebook.com/PaducahHomeTheater/  )

Good Luck,

-Tom

You are getting lazy on me ..... This is not exhaustive, but it was a quick Google search 

image.png.8b38c7df5fddade0de2e0c478ee90381.png

image.png.464404a950f686389860fad94d80c03c.png

image.png.74c971860334b9159a45a3218f956353.png

image.png.a0599131e19f0af74c089985386aefc4.png

image.png.9ca6f3caa21f38adef1b9df17b15fb45.png

image.png.1724a38412a5522bbbd9e1d10c3c1064.png

image.png.a748b31c5bb956a2bc28e223d09f06de.png

image.png.8c23ddc9c7ac79e0623e083f41f1c336.png

These are just a few examples. Please note, the "medium sized" horn in the photo with PWK is the "K-403". it was a prototype that never went into production and is not obtainable. Personally I would use the the Big Horn (K-402) which sounds the best. A second alternative (which is a compromise) is the smaller K-510 pictured in the bottom photo (yes, it could easily be put into a cabinet).  There are some after market horns that are medium sized ... IMHO, I would not bother with them. 

Good Luck and sorry if I clogged the bandwidth with these photos,

-Tom

Below is my strategy. It is not for everyone's taste, but it can be done by an average DIYer.

It offers a conceptual  template so that someone else  can improve on it with their own good ideas

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SP, I agree with the general sentiment here.

If  you are "all about the sound", then it's Jubilee, period end of discussion.

I replaced my Khorns with the Jubilee's several years ago.  When I did it they were in the same corner with the same electronics.  The only thing different was the active.

I had noticed with my Khorns that they sounded DISTINCTLY better when I was standing about 30' away from them.  When I replaced them with the Jubilee's, I soon went to this 30' location to hear how much better the Jubilee's sounded...  much to my dismay, I did not notice any distinct improvement with the Jubilee's at 30'.

To make a long story short, what I was discovering was that the Jubilee's sound "comes together" within about the first ten feet of the speaker so I no longer had to be 30' away to get this stupendous sound.  I'm now getting it at 10' away.....and what THIS means is my speakers now sound better in my room while I'm in there verses me having to be further away from them.

Losing a crossover point (going from 3-way Khorn to two-way Jubilee) turned out to be a far more significant improvement than I had realized/expected.

For me, there's no going back and I have the black/industrial finish....  I don't have the nicer looking Walnut or other woods that are now available.

I'm in Knoxville, TN.  Are you in Louisville KY?  You're more than welcome to come by here if you'd like to hear a pair.  

I've had people here giving them audition from Carrollton, Athens (both GA), Long Island, NY, Maryland, Lexington (KY), Oak Ridge, Knoxville, and Charlotte, NC.  I might be forgetting someone but you get the idea.

They'll all tell  you....  someone shows up, I give them "the keys to the system".  If you want to blow your eardrums, have at it (I'll be near the exit door), if you want to listen to (insert any type music located on a CD or DVD) you can listen to your hearts content.

My only requirement is, once you hear them and can't wipe that smile off your face, you are limited to 12 hours before we must take a food break.

Realize this was (yikes) around 13 years ago...  They were just under $7,000 delivered to my door.  I also had to buy an active so bought a new one and that cost me about $1,250 (which I later discovered I could have bought used on Ebay for maybe $500 and TODAY I'm guessing $300.

Subsequent to that, I swapped out my active for another (Swapped out the Electrovoice DX-38 of which I had two in my system, for a single Xilica unit that does the work of both EV's)

My early days, I had a dbx BX1 amp powering the bass bins with a McIntosh MC-2102 on the top.  For a variety of reasons, I have changed things and today, I have a single Crown K2 (way overkill) per speaker.  One of my goals was to eliminate as many RCA connections as I could and maximize XLR connections WITHOUT using adapters.

I now have the gains on the crown set about 25% and have no discernible hiss/noise anywhere in the room.  If I need to step on the volume, I can simply turn the gains from 25% to as high as I want/need and have total overkill for the system.