Which is better - Jubilee or AK6?

secretplayer

Knoxville eh Coytee. Hmmm.

PICS look very intriguing Tom.

I want to try to get them to LOOK like they are domesticated. Size is not an issue. Current own VMPS IIa/R SEs.

They will be very difficult to give up on the bass.

Image needs to be heard. Life is entirely my goal.

Check the pic in my profile. It will tell you most.

Can I get them with the right look or do I need to hire a cabinet maker?

OMG....

SP

[mention=48334]Randyh[/mention] We have power back and the city is cleaning up from the 4 tornados the hit Sunday night.

Have used this two separate ways, both using my DHA2 crossover from my LaScalas:
1. MWM bass cabinets instead of the single K33 LS bass cabs. K400 mid with an EV 1828 driver and Eminence APT50 driver on an Eminence horn for the tweeter.

2. MWM bass cabinets, Selenium H4950SL 2inch horn with PAudio BMD750 driver, and same tweeter

I've powered them both ways with my 2A3 amps, approx. 3.5 watts per channel, or my modified Crown D-45 at about 25wpc, and the larger Crown Xli800, around 250-300 wpc.

Preamp is always a JMA Merlin, and almost always wth a 30 yr old JVC cd player.

The 2A3 amps are awesome on the regular LS setup, but not quite as tight with the larger cabinets, although still can get too loud. The D-45 equals the 2A3 amps powering the LS config, and works really, really well with either of the larger combinations. The Xli800 keeps the bottom very solid and seems fine on the top end as well, perhaps not quite as refined as the other two amps.

I do have an SL1200MkII with an Ortofon Red cart for when I need or wa t to play any of the vinyl I still have, but it goes through an inexpensive Audio Technica phono pre.

Probably used too much snooty hifi buzzwords to describe it, but it's pretty much pieced together...

Do you live in NW Louisiana? We had four tornados Sunday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Roy  was a young man------time flies

Yea he's old now, barely can fish he's so old, but he tries. 

He's so old you have to do this @Chief bonehead to get his attention, but he tries, just old, what can you do ?

16 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

He has them on display I am pretty sure, plus he has Roy's horn loaded vented sub.

The best bass I have ever heard. It's patented and the first vented horn loaded sub ever designed and in production. :emotion-21: Eh      he's alright

and I do miss him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Do you live in NW Louisiana? We had four tornadoes Sunday night.

No, living right next door to Chattanooga, TN. We had four here. Had 60K people without power, and lots of destruction. I think there were only 4 fatalities, too. We went from severe storms to the tornadoes in about 5 minutes, and all the weather folks were tracking everything and they just hit. We've had crews from 7 states here working on the rebuilding. One area had two substations ripped apart, and neighborhoods with all the lines and poles down, transformers tossed about.

10 hours ago, secretplayer said:

They will be very difficult to give up on the bass.

I'm not familiar with your speakers so did a lookup.  They do look tall and have one (couple?) woofer drivers.  

My guess is you would feel the Jubilee is a bit thin on bass.....  but.... (and this was my revelation) if you own something like this for a number of years and THEN hear the dynamic woofer setups....  all the sudden you can hear more of the bloat that the other style creates.  I would liken it to someone who drinks Diet Coke, having (what I would call) a "real" Coke....and all the sudden, the "real" Coke is WAY too sweet.  Me, as a "real" Coke person, doesn't notice it at all and find the Diet Cokes kind of flat and somewhat hard tasting.  Who's right??

So, some might perceive it (direct radiator woofers) as deeper, more bloomy bass....  some (with tools to analyze beyond their ears) might call it higher distortion.

In the end, this is just to say that if you heard the Jubilee's or Khorns....  you'll likely love their dynamics and how clean they sound, but you might miss some of the additional information (trying to give distortions a polite name) your DR woofers might give you, making them sound a bit thin....accurate.....but thin.  

I used to have a pair of EV Interface D's.  (-3db @ 26Hz) I've never known how to describe it but when those things hit a bass note and the volume was turned up, it was like falling into a  huge pillow whereas my LaScalas with their horn woofers were more like falling directly onto the floor....  a much more abrupt, harder hit BUT lacked the extra movement that the pillow sound had while the pillow deflated.

Gee.....I should make a commercial for that Mr. Pillow guy!!

By the way SecretPlayer....  I know times change...  but I was once talking with Roy (who helped design the Jubilee for/with PWK).  As a crowd of us were walking out of a restaurant, he said (paraphrased) "I think the Jubilee pretty much represents the best we have to offer".

Though he was speaking to the choir (I already had my pair by this time), I still thought it was pretty enlightening that he'd admit it.

Coytee, I have some quotes too I remember well from the man from direct conversations WAY back in the 70's at Hope (see attached). War stories available.

Speakers in my profile pic are VMPS IIa/R Special Editions. JGH did a review on these guys in 1978 - this link can fill in some the blanks: https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/486vmps/index.html

They are EXTREMELY sensitive to absolute phase and have been measured down approx. 3db at 16 hz.

A lot of very felt deep bass - and image is great BUT they don't have the real live sound of instruments heard in the wild.

Especially piano and brass. Listening for even a few minutes with familiar tracks will reveal most I believe. That's why I would LIKE to have the Jubilee and AK6 together if at all possible.

Maybe Paducah, KY.... 

Still wondering about the power and pre amps. New DAC and transport are about ready to have the trigger pulled now.

More input guys, please.

Thanks to all in advance.

SP

Klipsch 5.78 314 (2).jpg

Maybe Cory will have a pair setup next to a pair of (setup) Khorns...  All I know is I rreplaced my Khorns with the Jubilee's and have not missed my Khorns for 23 nano-seconds since.

Paducah Home Theater: 270-556-8427

https://paducahhometheater.com/pages/contact-us

CONTACT US

Please note: if you have a Facebook account, the best way to get in touch is to go to our business page at https://www.facebook.com/PaducahHomeTheater/ and send a message there.  Please use this if at all possible.  Multiple people read those plus there is quite a bit of spam that comes through this page so it's easier to overlook messages.  Mention one of our names there if you want to talk to a specific person.  

Otherwise, call 270-556-8427 for Cory, 816-769-9029 for Steven, or fill out the form below and we will get back to you shortly. Please no anonymous quotes, at least include your phone number. Thanks! 

• Like 1