When are the new Klipsch subs coming out?

NIN_Fragile

How much will they cost as well? I know they were recently showing them at CES; did anyone get a chance to hear them? I hope they are better than the KSW line. I mean, the KSW line is good, but like Steve said, they need to come out with something that blows their old subs away.

They were scheduled to ship in May.

The big Daddy of the(RSW 15) line has an MSRP of $1700. According to Klipsch it would take a Velodyne 18 sub with a 64,000 watt amp to best the new RSW 15. Will see about that.

Do a search regarding Klipsch releases new products at cts for more info/pricing.

Jim,

I think you're confusing the 64,000 Dollarc>s> question (What is a "Patented Tracking Downconverter Power Supply") with Carver's answer ("uh, this is...").

However, if you really want a 64,000 watt amp, you could always go the Pass Labs X1000 route; quoting from their website:

"For higher power operation, X1000's can be operated in an array producing up to 2000 watts per chassis. For example, two X1000's can deliver 4000 watts into 8 ohms or 2 ohms. Four X1000's can deliver 8000 watts into 4 ohms, and sixteen X1000's can deliver 32,000 watts into 1 ohm. Unlike previous efforts at harnessing multiple amplifiers through power transformers, the amplifiers are direct-coupled to the load, and retain the same performance across the audio band without added distortion and loss."

I realize that's only 32,000 watts, but allowing for 3dB worth of headroom, you'd be close. Of course, each amp is 19"W X 11.5"H X 28"D, and weighs 200 pounds, so 16 of them would occupy approximately 57 cubic feet of space (not including interconnects and power cords), weigh over a ton and a half, and draw 38,400 watts at full rated output, which, assuming a 240 volt circuit, would mean you'd need a 160 amp circuit, or, I guess, 8 twenty amp circuits, each supplying power to two of the amps.

How would the RSW 15 sound if I drove it with that? Beat the Carver True Subwoofer, Signature version?

It'd probably rock for about 1 millisecond before the drivers launched from their happy station in life and lodged in a tree outside. If you had some weenies and marshmallows, you could roast them over what was left of the subs' carcass. It'd probably be pretty damn cool. Sorta like Michael J. in Back to the Future when he cranked up that big guitar amp in the lab and blew himself (not literally - poor choice of words I guess) across the room.

So who said it'd take 64,000 watts in a Velodyne to equal an RSW-15? It sounds like someone is playing around with that efficiency chart that shows how much power it takes for a given output with a given sensitivity. I'd like to think that was true about the big Velodyne, but I'm not so sure. Just have to wait until the mags get their hands on one of our new RSW's.

P.S. I'm glad someone saw the humor in my knee-jerk reaction post! smile.gif

Check the earlier posts and maybe you will come across it somewhere.

It was said by our infamous Moderator, BobG

I don't think he actually said Velodynes name but he did imply it was a Velodyne 18".

They are claiming some serious output at 20 hz with the RSW 15.

The only other sub who's specs are close to that of the RSW 15 is the Stryke Audio sub.

do you guys think an svs will hold water to the rsw-15? I was planning on ordering one of those (even with a 2 month wait), but maybe i'll go with the klipsch instead.

J

------------------

JOIN THE "AMY FOR PRESIDENT" CAMPAIGN. OUR PLATFORM:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

512mb pc133 Viking

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

janko, i'm not going to touch that until the

new rsw are out & about. biggrin.gif

heard svs is coming out w/ new subs also, but haven't heard when.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Technics 5-disk cd changer

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None

rock on!

>>>do you guys think an svs will hold water to the rsw-15? I was planning on ordering one of those (even with a 2 month wait), but maybe i'll go with the klipsch instead.<<<

If a rsw15(at about $1800 list) can run with one of our dual 39/700w packages(at $1245 delivered)...it will be a daisy indeed.

I'd hope the $1800 rsw to be a bit better than a single *PC* as it costs well over 2x as much.

btw---the *wait* on the PCs is down to <2weeks now.

TV

I've never heard one, but the Stryke Audio sub is probably quite similar given its heritage and design help...

I just wish we could snap our fingers and get the RSW-15 released but we're still just a little ways off. It will be worth the wait for sure. (The 10 and 12 are pretty dang good too!)