Checking out a couple of houses tomorrow

wuzzzer

My wife and I are tired of the apartment we moved in to 2 years ago so we've been looking at houses to rent.  Two of them popped up today that just happened to be owned by my wife's best friend's boss and they're right next to each other.  We're going to go look at them tomorrow afternoon.  Both of them have a really nice basement for a fantastic home theater setup.

I hope one of them works out!

• Like 2

It’s a pain to look for a new home, last May we finally bought our first home and what a up and down ride that was
First thing you should do is call the utility companies such as the electric water gas, if gas is available. And ask them for the average bills for the last two or three years and that will give yourself an idea about the bills , and I also would check the attic for insulation, if it has a basement thoroughly look around and see if you can find any moisture or anything that looks like moisture has been present. If you’re going to be building an HT room down here you definitely don’t want humidity in there. Also go to where the air filter is open it up and stick your head inside and look at the air handler coils and make sure it’s all nice and clean. If they are rental homes, I can bet you any amount of money , that the people did not regularly change the air filters
I know it sounds like a Liam in the butt, but it will save you a lot of aggravation. And be sure you can separate friendship from landlord relationship and get everything in writing on the lease.
Also check to see what cable company is for those address so you can get the best internet possible
And if it has a septic tank make sure in the lease that you’re not the one liable for the maintenance of having it drained and maintained.
Good luck. Living in a house is great and worth the extra work with keeping the yard and all up.
One more thing. Drive around there after 6pm and see what kind of people and cars are hanging around, you can tell a lot about a person with what kind of cars and how well they take care of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

It’s a pain to look for a new home, last May we finally bought our first home and what a up and down ride that was
First thing you should do is call the utility companies such as the electric water gas, if gas is available. And ask them for the average bills for the last two or three years and that will give yourself an idea about the bills , and I also would check the attic for insulation, if it has a basement thoroughly look around and see if you can find any moisture or anything that looks like moisture has been present. If you’re going to be building an HT room down here you definitely don’t want humidity in there. Also go to where the air filter is open it up and stick your head inside and look at the air handler coils and make sure it’s all nice and clean. If they are rental homes, I can bet you any amount of money , that the people did not regularly change the air filters
I know it sounds like a Liam in the butt, but it will save you a lot of aggravation. And be sure you can separate friendship from landlord relationship and get everything in writing on the lease.
Also check to see what cable company is for those address so you can get the best internet possible
And if it has a septic tank make sure in the lease that you’re not the one liable for the maintenance of having it drained and maintained.
Good luck. Living in a house is great and worth the extra work with keeping the yard and all up.
One more thing. Drive around there after 6pm and see what kind of people and cars are hanging around, you can tell a lot about a person with what kind of cars and how well they take care of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the plus side, both houses have never been rentals before and have a lot of new updates.

Heading there now!

We did it!  The guy was super nice.  Because of my wife's friendship he didn't have us do any kind of application and said "here's the two houses, just pick which one you want."  We move in at the end of June!

As you can see, the basement is unfinished.  I actually like it that way and acoustically the room sounded very neutral with the exposed ceiling. 

You have no idea how badly I want to get everything set up and just blast it as loud as I want!

Screenshot_20200417-152245.png

Screenshot_20200417-152305.png

Screenshot_20200417-152311.png

Screenshot_20200417-152356.png

Screenshot_20200417-152315.png

Screenshot_20200417-152403.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

Looks like those french or sliding doors at the dining room table go right outside. Very nice. Is there a deck out there?

There's a concrete patio.  Perfect for grilling!  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

Might sound crazy but I like the yellow, any chance to convert to lease purchase later if you were to really love it ?

Very possible.  The owner is a Realtor and is moving properties often.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

Some larger mature trees back there too. Shade is a good thing.

Yep.  Huge tree in front too.  Looks pretty bleak now but once the leaves grow in it'll be really nice.  There's a tall hedge along the back alley that completely blocks the back yard in the summer.

Right now we have three storage units of stuff from when we sold our house because we knew we'd either rent or buy another one some day.  It'll actually be cheaper to rent the house then what we're paying now for our apartment and the three storage units!

I never even took my boat out once last year since it was such a hassle getting it out of the storage unit it's in.  It'll be so nice having everything all in one place!

• Like 2

My wife and I are self-employed and haven't been in business long enough to qualify for a mortgage based on that income.  I also work part-time at Enterprise rent-a-car (temporarily laid off) but have only been there a year.  We're planning a two year stay at that house and then looking to buy.  My wife especially has been feeling the need to get out of our apartment.  I don't mind it but it will be nice to have our "own" place again. 

• Like 2