Looking for recommendations for my industrials

Slovakmike1968

Just became a member here. Ive loved Klipsch speakers since I was 17 and heard my friend’s LaScalas for the first time.   I’ve got two sets of industrials - Lascala and  Heresey. I’d like a more home-stereo-friendly look though. I’ve thought about buying a pair of wood veneer cabinets for the Hereseys but want the thump the bottoms offer included in the plan.   I could sell some of what I have or have a buddy build me something. He’s a cabinet maker.  I love the way they sound now.   What would you guys do???

4B1668EA-3F64-46A0-B88A-F6ECCAEB9B10.jpeg

F8073021-C1CD-4B09-A5F1-65E71700D25E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

KEEP those pieces of trim and don't let anyone talk you out of them. Almost impossible to find and it you reconsider after getting rid of them impossible to replace. I don't see the top section of your LSI's so are you using those slants for that purpose? They are not going to sound as good as the LSI top section would.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hello @Slovakmike1968 I have moved your thread from the "Forum Website Question" section to the Klipsch Pro Audio Section to see if you might get some more responses. 

So are you located halfway around the world from Hope, Arkansas? If so, how did those great speakers make it all the way over there. Would love to hear the story, as far as you know it, on how they got all the way there.

Travis

1 hour ago, babadono said:

And putting the cleaned up, polished aluminum trim back on, right?

I am not sure but for some reason I was thinking they might have had some sort of clear coat anodizing on the trim and if so you can give them a brushed finish but never get back to the OEM finish. Most elect to just leave them alone unless really marred.

• 2 months later...

I got these both from Lansing, MI area at two very different times in my life.   I bought the Hereseys for $300 in 1992 when I didn’t have a lot to piss in.  A guy I was working for was commenting how he had a big pair of speakers he wanted to get rid of called Klipsch.  BAM.  I found the cash.   Used them as monitor speaker in my band for 20 years but they were never beat on power-wise; just cosmetically... and they weren’t mint when I bought them.    I found the bottoms 15 years later right down the road at a pawn shop in East Lansing.  They were like new with a $200 price tag.  Didn’t even call the wife to check...

I don’t have the LSI tops (never had them) but I am very pleased with how this combo sounds.   I feel like the mids may be superior to a regular pair of La Scalas.  Very crunchy.  Of course the bass punch and highs are spectacular too.   

I am shining and sanding the trim and putting it back on.   The Hereseys are pretty marred they are turning out much different than they were originally.  They are turning out nice.  Thanks for all the feedback, all!

you have to  make tops  for the Lascala  , easy enough  , then find a pair of k401 horns   2 K55V  and a pair of  AA crossovers , and you will have an exceptional sound system , whatever you do , keep the Heresies as is , they are amazing speakers -  but just add the tops on the lascala for a way better midrange horn experience -

28 minutes ago, Slovakmike1968 said:

I got these both from Lansing, MI area at two very different times in my life.   I bought the Hereseys for $300 in 1992 when I didn’t have a lot to piss in.  A guy I was working for was commenting how he had a big pair of speakers he wanted to get rid of called Klipsch.  BAM.  I found the cash.   Used them as monitor speaker in my band for 20 years but they were never beat on power-wise; just cosmetically... and they weren’t mint when I bought them.    I found the bottoms 15 years later right down the road at a pawn shop in East Lansing.  They were like new with a $200 price tag.  Didn’t even call the wife to check...

I don’t have the LSI tops (never had them) but I am very pleased with how this combo sounds.   I feel like the mids may be superior to a regular pair of La Scalas.  Very crunchy.  Of course the bass punch and highs are spectacular too.   

I am shining and sanding the trim and putting it back on.   The Hereseys are pretty marred they are turning out much different than they were originally.  They are turning out nice.  Thanks for all the feedback, all!

Sounds like a fun project!

You can go many ways with these but if you are happy with the set up, polish them and enjoy.

I am not sure exactly how you are hooking these up to you amp/receiver, but that bass bin has no crossover of it's own. It relies on the x'over from the top hat to limit it to bass only (usually 400hz on down). You may want to incorporate some type of cross over or low pass filter to restrict the signal the woofer in the bass bin is receiving. 

Just my two cents. enjoy

I’m intrigued with the idea of making my own horns.  I’ve been on the prowl for a set for a long time!   

I power these with two amps.  The newer pioneer has a low out which gets sent to an older Onkyo.  The signal is adjustable which is set either to 100hz or 150hz depending on type of music.  Judas Priest really prefers 100!

Again, the Heresys seem to really pick up the slack regarding the mids. I need a huge room for these and my next home shall have one.  For now, I’m pretty sure I have the best sounding and loudest system in Marquette County, MI.  Thanks again for the feedback!

I’m intrigued with the idea of making my own horns.  I’ve been on the prowl for a set for a long time!   

I power these with two amps.  The newer pioneer has a low out which gets sent to an older Onkyo.  The signal is adjustable which is set either to 100hz or 150hz depending on type of music.  Judas Priest really prefers 100!

Again, the Heresys seem to really pick up the slack regarding the mids. I need a huge room for these and my next home shall have one.  For now, I’m pretty sure I have the best sounding and loudest system in Marquette County, MI.  Thanks again for the feedback!

i snapped a pic of how the front of one of the Heresys turned out after sanding and buffing.  

6B0AD039-CFB7-4878-B52A-1C0EC79C3821.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Slovakmike1968 said:

That Heresy turned out nice. keep going.

If you set your low out at 100hz that means you are using that bass bin as a SUBwoofer when it is intended to be a woofer. That bin will not play much below 80hz so you are feeding very little to it. The design really shines at the frequencies you are cutting off 100-400. Grab a cheap low pass filter from Partsexpess ($10) and try running it full range from the amp and see how it sound. You may like it much better. 

https://www.parts-express.com/800-hz-low-pass-8-ohm-crossover--266-450

Building the top hat would also be a great choice. I just wasn't looking to spend your $$$

@codewritinfool built a top hat and it turned out nice. I will look for that thread.

7 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

If you set your low out at 100hz that means you are using that bass bin as a SUBwoofer when it is intended to be a woofer. That bin will not play much below 80hz so you are feeding very little to it. The design really shines at the frequencies you are cutting off 100-400. Grab a cheap low pass filter from Partsexpess ($10) and try running it full range from the amp and see how it sound. You may like it much better. 

Building the top hat would also be a great choice. I just wasn't looking to spend your $$$

@codewritinfool built a top hat and it turned out nice. I will look for that thread.

8 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Interesting.  I was able to go up to 200 hz. I will try what you said.  I didn’t know those bottoms liked upper bass  signal.   I will try what you suggested.  

@Slovakmike1968   Buy one of these, you can pick them up used for around $200+/- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_859XLS1002/Crown-XLS-1002.html

It has the ability to cross at different point. Give your La Scala bottoms one of the predefined settings around 300-400Hz and they will be sounding like they should.