Klipsch iFi won't work

Josh Lyman

I have an iFi 2.1 system that stopped working a few years ago. As I recall, the volume output slowly dropped over a month or so and I had to increase the volume until eventually full volume wasn't enough. Tons of other owners had volume issues though it was usually one channel cutting out or the volume wheel not responding.

Reading online at the time, it seemed that blown fuses were common, so I purchased replacement 3.15A 250V slow burn fuses from my local Radio Shack which was the closest to the original 2A 250V slow burn they had. I don't remember if this original fuse was even blown, but it didn't fix the system anyways.

I'd like to take another shot at fixing the system. When I turn it on from the control dock, it makes intermittent faint popping sounds. If I mess with the volume wheel or the mute/standby button (there's no actually on/off on the control dock), the LEDs on the control dock sometimes flicker on but they're mostly off. At one point there was a fraction of a second of audio that came through, but otherwise no luck.

The capacitors are also known to fail, especially the solo 4700uF 25V in the back. They seem to look good though the front left 4700uF 35V looks a little lifted, though it could just be a bad soldering job. I tested both sets of capacitors by charging them with a 9V battery and testing the voltage with a multimeter.The 25V held the charge fine, but the 35V discharged very quickly, the left two discharging even when I wasn't using the multimeter, and all four 35V never got above about 5.5V. I've never replaced capacitors before and I don't have a soldering iron anymore (maybe I could borrow one in Nextdoor), but considering all the other electronics look good, is it worth the trouble? Specifically, does the behavior of the system seem consistent with failing capacitors? I've been looking at getting a receiver + bookshelf speakers + powered sub this weekend, but even used that'll be about $250. The iFi retailed for $400 (I did not pay full retail) and was worth every penny so fixing it would be preferable.

ndSdVWZ.jpg

Edited by Josh Lyman

• 1 year later...