European Hornet Nest Removal

sputnik

16 hours ago, JJkizak said:

You know, This is not exactly a thrilling video to watch. In fact it's like being invaded by the creepy crawlies.

JJK

I agree with you. I carry an EpiPen with me at all times because I have severe reactions if I get stung. This video made my skin crawl. I don't think that I would make a very good bee keeper.

14 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

anyone else from the 60s have one of those Mattel Creepy Crawler’s Bug Maker?

I think I had something like that that "grew" dinosaurs and you could reheat them and compress them back to a little tablet.  (vague recollections)

1 hour ago, usnret70-90 said:

I agree with you. I carry an EpiPen with me at all times because I have severe reactions if I get stung. This video made my skin crawl. I don't think that I would make a very good bee keeper.

I too am sting allergic.  Live too far out in country to bank on EMS arriving in time so went for the allergy shots.  (mind you I ranked lowest for wasp and wasp put me in ER for four hours....  I was off the scales for hornets/yellow jackets)

I knew my graduation test would finally come and a number of years ago, a yellow jacket got inside my shirt and stung me on the belly.  Dropped everything I was doing and prepared my defenses (epi pen, benedril, 911...)

Nothing happened!  

Have you taken allergy shots for them and if so, did  you do the FULL process?  When I had my final shots (5 years worth of weekly shots, the only single shot I missed was when we were in Europe for 3 weeks)

Anyway, the Doc & I had sort of a "man cry" moment as it was our goodbye.  He told that of all his patients, I was only one of a few that actually went through the entire process without missing more than one visit.

Today, my allergies are WORLDS better (I had them include pollin, cats, dogs, other)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

I think I had something like that that "grew" dinosaurs and you could reheat them and compress them back to a little tablet.  (vague recollections)

I too am sting allergic.  Live too far out in country to bank on EMS arriving in time so went for the allergy shots.  (mind you I ranked lowest for wasp and wasp put me in ER for four hours....  I was off the scales for hornets/yellow jackets)

I knew my graduation test would finally come and a number of years ago, a yellow jacket got inside my shirt and stung me on the belly.  Dropped everything I was doing and prepared my defenses (epi pen, benedril, 911...)

Nothing happened!  

Have you taken allergy shots for them and if so, did  you do the FULL process?  When I had my final shots (5 years worth of weekly shots, the only single shot I missed was when we were in Europe for 3 weeks)

Anyway, the Doc & I had sort of a "man cry" moment as it was our goodbye.  He told that of all his patients, I was only one of a few that actually went through the entire process without missing more than one visit.

Today, my allergies are WORLDS better (I had them include pollin, cats, dogs, other)

I never took that series of shots. I have two EpiPens, one for the truck and one for home. Last time I was stung was by a Black Wasp right in the center of my back. It was so painful at first and I thought I had been shot. Was at a camp ground about 30 miles from the hospital. The Epi shot helped some, but my wife insisted we go to the ER. When we got there, I received a second Epinephrine shot. It only took seconds until my heart was racing so fast, it felt like it was coming out of my chest. The ER Doctor then gave me a shot of something to slow my heart down. I survived, just like I have always done when it came to bee's.

17 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

anyone else from the 60s have one of those Mattel Creepy Crawler’s Bug Maker?

I did not but, my brothers did. I remember them with their Bat Man Radios and some type of Bat Man utility belt. At that time, my father always gave me rifles and shotguns. He always said to me "Boy, don't shoot my trees". We had 40 acres of woods and I probably shot every tree out there. What else was I to shoot at out in the woods? I still have almost all those guns, which are at my other home in PA. Since moving to FL, all I have here are my two favorites: Ruger Red Hawk in .44 mag and my Ruger Mini-14.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, usnret70-90 said:

Last time I was stung was by a Black Wasp right in the center of my back. It was so painful at first and I thought I had been shot. Was at a camp ground about 30 miles from the hospital. The Epi shot helped some, but my wife insisted we go to the ER. When we got there, I received a second Epinephrine shot. It only took seconds until my heart was racing so fast, it felt like it was coming out of my chest. The ER Doctor then gave me a shot of something to slow my heart down. I survived, just like I have always done when it came to bee's.

I've got to think you know this so ...I dunno....  may be it IS me badgering!

Anyway, someone can go from a sting being a non issue, never having a reaction to the next sting can put them into shock.  So you (someone) can acquire the allergy from one episode to the next.  As a friend once told me, he was on a boat...  took drink and got stung on the lip (someone had craweld into  his can).  They made it to shore and happened to be there was a doctor there.  She asked how long had this happened and the answer was something like 15 minutes ago....her comment was that he was probably ok then as, if he was going to go into anaphalatic (not even going to try to spell that one) shock, it would have likely happened within the first several minutes.

With the changes I've witnessed that process doing for me, I'm a big believer in the program but, one must stick with the program.