Another relic from the closet.

wetowne

I decided to drag this one out from the darkness. I used this for a short time with my Fortes before I made the switch to tubes for both my systems. I figured I'd give it a try with my old Heresys that I just retired in favor of some new Heresy IIIs. The Heresys are from 1977 and this was made in 1978 so at least from a  purist vintage aesthetic point of view they are a good match.   It cleaned up nicely with a little tlc and crc. Haven't hooked it up yet, probably use Chromecast audio for streaming and cheap folded dipole for FM. This has a pretty decent phono stage and though I swore off of vinyl in 1983, lord help me I'm thinking about a turntable. I need another system like I need a hole in the head. 

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

• Like 7

Nice. Are the Heresys CO or WO (look redish)? I have a pair of '70's Klipschorns with that same grill cloth. I do not have them connected to my early "70's Pioneer SX-9000, but I did have a pair of '70's Cornwalls (vert) connected for a bit with a turntable and that was a lot of fun. What sort of TT or you looking for?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Nice. Are the Heresys CO or WO (look redish)? I have a pair of '70's Klipschorns with that same grill cloth. I do not have them connected to my early "70's Pioneer SX-9000, but I did have a pair of '70's Cornwalls (vert) connected for a bit with a turntable and that was a lot of fun. What sort of TT or you looking for?

They're WO, they darkened a bit with the polish I used to clean them. The turntable thing is a rabbit hole I'm not sure of just yet. We'll see. 

• Like 1

Just now, Schu said:

jesus... Fire those up!

very nice!

Gotta go get some decent wire. Probably have time tomorrow. I'll keep those interested in the results informed. Barring any problems I expect things to go well.

• Like 2

You're probably already hip, but I would replace every electrolytic cap in that receiver, and clean all contacts, pots, and switches. Not only are you heading off an inevitable failure, but improving the sound quality, as well. A lot of these old pieces sound lackluster, but really shine once restored. 

I used to have an SX-950 which I stupidly sold for not enough.

Never been much of a Pioneer guy, but this series was just different than receivers before and after.  They have a solidity and warmth to the sound that only the best receivers of that era had.

Pretty sure it'll sound straight-up excellent.

I got some 16ga lamp cord at Lowes, found another relic in my basement ( NAD C521i cd player), hooked up the Chromecast audio dongle straight up without a dac and everything is working fine. Sounds very good as is. Even the FM works well with the one and only good classical station in the area. This receiver was inherited from father in-law who bought it new in 1979 for a bedroom set-up and passed two years later, it was used very  little. I used it for a few months with my Fortes and then made the switch to tubes. There's probably less than 200 hours of actual use on it, I did an inspection of all internal components and cleaned and lubed all pots and switches and everything works perfectly so I have no plans for an overhaul unless it fails or the performance level should drop significantly. I went to the "If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It School" and graduated with honors. The setup is temporary, just to make sure it all works. Got a little better DAC (FiiO Taishan) coming this week. I don't plan on spending more than 50 bucks on this whole deal, it's just for grins and giggles. It might end up in my down stairs office or back in the closet. (Attached photo of cd player before it went through the dishwasher.)

20200420_141004.jpg

20200420_131100.jpg

20200420_141600.jpg

Edited by wetowne
spellin