XTZ A2-300 Stereo Amp Experience?

Ramesh

Hello, 

I was not happy with the performance of my Denon AVR4300H and bought the XTZ A2-300 as external power amp.

The XTZ is connected permanently to the pre-out of the Denon powering the main speakers (Klipsch RP-8060FA).

The sound improved remarkedly especially with the reproduction of the lower frequencies. Note that I don't use a subwoofer, so the amplifier has to provide all the grunt.

I recommend this amplifier unreservedly – excellent performance especially when taking the price into account.

Hi Jef

I have an Onkyo RZ830 and Klipsch 6000f RP speakers. I have the xtz and it has remarkably improved the clarity openness or transparency and as you said the bass punch.  Was intially skeptical if I should get a power amp as my Onkyo does hold its own and has decent power with 120 watts at 8ohms 2 channel driven. The  xtz is 150 watt 2 channel driven at 8 ohms. So thought it may not make much of a difference. But I was surprised.  It did make a significant difference. Gets louder too. Glad it made a whole lotta difference to your set up too. Was initially thinking of Cambridge 851 and Emotiva power amps but the xtz has come out fine. Now am considering getting two of these to power each speaker separately. Not sure if anyone has tried that. Pity this amp is relatively unknown compared to the big guns and deserves the good reviews so more would be aware.

Hello Ramesh,

The fact that the amplifier is stable  down to 2.7 Ω (2 x 460 W) accounts for the 'bigger' sound compared to the Onkyo and the Denon - lots of current available. The amplifier uses Class D modules from ICEpower, which are known here on the forum and are generally well regarded as quality amps. 

I just noticed that the XTZ wesite reduced the price to 395€ - that is a very very good price for this amp.

Hi Jeff. Tks for sharing.  The price point is pretty good. This power amp for its quality is really affordable. It should.be at least two or three times the price. 

May I ask if you have two of these xtz power amps fed to each speaker or one. And out of curiosity what was lacking in your denon and how it is sounding now. As your denon model is pretty good from my  impression similar to my onkyo model I believe.   Does your denon with the xtz sound better with movies too?  I was actually looking at emotiva and cambridge power amps but i finally ended up with the xtz cause it was really that good and doesnt get hot at all. I actually have my power on the xtz always on.  And its not hot.  From what I researched, the emotiva while its a good amp can be lean sounding and cambridge 851 W again with its merits can run super hot. I did audition the cambridge and i somewhat felt this xtz had better sonic abilities. The xtz is just  so very clear transparent,  has impressive soundstage and adds so much tightness and punch to the bass. I dont even use my subs now for stereo music. And before i added this power amp I was actually quite happy with my onkyo.  Just never knew the difference could have been so significant. The xtz  may be a little forward sounding but more in a lively way rather than fatiguing. This ICE Power amps are really something I must say.  Think its getting the better of class A/B amps. So much so am considering a second one. 

I find better results with my 2 channel stereo as compared to movies. But that could also be because I havent fully calibrated my system as yet. Would be glad to hear your views.

Hi Ramesh,

I use one amp which powers both speakers.

Yes, the sound improved with music and  movies, you explained them well: ' transparent, impressive soundstage with tight and punchy bass'.

From the specifications the Denon should be equally capable but it's not, the XTZ amp is much better.

• 9 months later...