Are these Vintage Klipsch Heresy Speakers HWL worth it? What year are they from?

DD Mura

I found these Vintage Klipsch Heresy Speakers HWL on Facebook Marketplace and got the seller to sell them for $450. They are beautiful and I love them, and just want to make sure from an expert that these are worth it. Are they rare? What year are they from?

The serial number is 8440239.

92682614_10215340998830584_1645898520856

• Like 5

On 4/21/2020 at 10:09 PM, wuzzzer said:

I sold my 1990 Heresy IIs for $450 last year.  They were in near mint condition.  I replaced them with 1981 Heresy Is that I bought for $350.

Was this a planned move from II to I?  May I ask your reasoning?  

5 minutes ago, efzauner said:

Was this a planned move from II to I?  May I ask your reasoning?  

I actually had a brand new pair of Heresy IIIs, a pair of 1990 IIs and 1981 Is at the same time.  After listening to all of them I liked the Is the best.  The midrange just had significantly more life and detail.  The IIIs and the Is were stock, the IIs had Klipsch titanium midrange and Crites titanium tweeters. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, DD Mura said:

got the seller to sell them for $450

Very decent price ... bought mine for $350, but that was 2 years ago.  If the seller is including the stands it is a bargain :D 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 9:09 PM, wuzzzer said:

I sold my 1990 Heresy IIs for $450 last year.  They were in near mint condition.  I replaced them with 1981 Heresy Is that I bought for $350.

You got a real deal if they had original drivers on the mids. That was the one year you were pretty well guaranteed soldered lug drivers. I would much rather have those than any of the other versions and if you wish they make great Super heresy's. Have a pristine set from 1981 right now I will probably do that with.

Heresy's around here are $500 and quickly up and mostly the MDF versions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave A said:

You got a real deal if they had original drivers on the mids. That was the one year you were pretty well guaranteed soldered lug drivers. I would much rather have those than any of the other versions and if you wish they make great Super heresy's. Have a pristine set from 1981 right now I will probably do that with.

Heresy's around here are $500 and quickly up and mostly the MDF versions.

Yes, everything original including the soldered lug K55s.  They're pretty magical. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Yes, everything original including the soldered lug K55s.  They're pretty magical. 

Bob sells gaskets for the driver to horn connection and get some. Your old ones are hard as a rock by now.

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

Bob sells gaskets for the driver to horn connection and get some. Your old ones are hard as a rock by now.

I did replace them.  🙃  I also replaced the caps since two of them were leaking. 

On 4/26/2020 at 3:53 PM, wuzzzer said:

I actually had a brand new pair of Heresy IIIs, a pair of 1990 IIs and 1981 Is at the same time.  After listening to all of them I liked the Is the best.  The midrange just had significantly more life and detail.  The IIIs and the Is were stock, the IIs had Klipsch titanium midrange and Crites titanium tweeters. 

WOW. Cool!  I have had H1s for almost 20 years and set them against Forte 1, KLF 20s and Tangen 400 and kept the H1 also!   There is something special about them!

• Like 1