Super Cornwall + Center Help Needed to spend $750

bribassguy

Warning this is some what long and rambling.

I inherited a pair of old Klipsch Cornwalls that I wanted to restore during lock down budget would be $750 or so. These would have to pull double duty 2 channel audio and Left / Right in a home theater (handing off ultra low frequency duties to a pair of 18" subs). I was originally planning on build a set of DIYSG Titan 615 LX but jumped at these when the opportunity came up.

I really like the idea of a RestoMod where the outside is original looking but all new guts... essentially, a heritage by reusing the boxes and "good" components  and making something like the Super Cornwall or CornScala or maybe even a big 2 way. I am not too hung up on the "originality" of the speakers I just want to keep a part of my grandfather alive. If I had to cut the motor board to get a much better speaker I would. I prefer the look of the lens / woofers mounted and recessed to the front of the board but given I've got 2 toddlers the grill will be on most of the time.

The story goes that his son took the drivers back from when he was a tanker stationed in Germany. When he got state side he and my grandfather rebuild the boxes... I am not to sure about this b/c they look pretty factory. He was an amazing carpenter and woodworker so I am sure he could have built them same as factory and his son was an engineer so I he could have made a drawing to replicate... there's not sticker on box so who knows? To me the story doesn't really make any sense but I like the story, so I am choosing to believe it, where it's true or not. I can remember these from when I was little playing from an old Wurlitzer Juke box... mostly honky tonk and country and few old french songs from his youth. 

My goal would be to get these done by say 4th of July when hopefully lock down is over and we celebrate our freedom music music loud enough to rival the fireworks.

Major objects would be to have a high sensitivity speaker that can be run form a solid state amp splitting duties between music and theater. I listen to a pretty good mix f music bluegrass, jam bands, female vocals paino, all over the place... For home theater I have an full 5.4.2 Atmos. Again budget would be so funded by selling existing front sound stage (Klipsch Reference).  I would like to a matching front sound stage or as close to matching as possible. 

Option 1: Super Cornwalls + Super Hersey? 

What's the current recipe for a Super CornWall + Super Hersey? 

I came across ClaudeJ1 thread but could not follow the recipe and hop you guys can help fill in the blanks. 

This would 

Woofer: Kappalite 3015 LF-4 here for $300 

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/speakers/eminence/kappalite3015lf/

Mid Horn: I think SC 1.0 used stock K55/K600 but it sounded like 2.0 would use a new lens? I can't find the 2.0 thread. 

Tweeter: MAHL V2+ B&C DE10 $288 via ebay

XO: Budget of $150 to get a recapped / rebuilt XO. Sounded like a change to XO points but was not sure how to accomplish this w/o a schematic. 

This woudl allow me to build s Super Hersey aka baby Cornwall  to have a matching center. as described here: 

Option 2: Get weird SEOS 15 Wave guide 2 way Cornwall and matching center. 

This second one is a little out there. I have been thinking about a 2 way like a Fusion-15 Sentinel, CornScala D or the Cheap Thrills by Bill Walso. Klipsch purists might not agree with this approach but that would mean I could make something like a DIYSG 88 Special and have 3 matching SEOS 15 horns upfront. The Fusion 15 uses a Deltalite II woofer XOed at 1000 HZ to a SEOS 15 horn and their DNA360 compression driver but in smaller box.

Kit can be seen here: 

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/sentinel-15.html

I think it would be happy in a bit bigger box if it wasn't pushed to hard. Claude touched on it in one of the thread but I think he opted for the larger Xmax of the Kappalite.

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=DeltaliteII_2515

I would likely need to move the SEOS down to as close to the woofer as I can get it to avoid lobbing issues but I don't see any other issues... what are you thoughts? This would be roughly $700 for 2 wave guides, 2 drivers, and 2 woofers. 

In the future I could build one of these for a matching sound stage: 

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/home-theater-other/88-special.html

Do you have any pictures?

Grilles and backs off to see components would be nice too.

Like to see what crossover is in there.

Thanks, and that’s a hell of a first post, you certainly have done some research into this.

The toughest part will be deciding which path you take.