New system, HD Formating

Dman155

I want to transfer stuff from my currrent hard disk to a new one that I'm going to put in a new system. However, I'm using parts from the current system in the new one, so once I build the new one, I won't be able to access the old system.

What I'm wondering is if I install my new HD in the old system, format it, and transfer data between hard drives, will I be able to boot up my new system with a hard drive that's already formatted with data on it?

Also, if I have the full version of windows 3.1 and the upgrade version of 98, can I install 3.1 and then upgrade to 98? Will 3.1 recognize newer components?

Yeah, I figured as much, I just think finding drivers for my current hard drive will be a ***** (It came with the comcrap). Is there any way I can get the drivers for the hard drive from my current system and save em on a cd or something?

What about the 3.1 to 98 upgrade thing? Is that what you ment about a full install?

Dman, what parts are you reusing? You may not need special drivers for them. Let me know and I will hook you up.

As for full install I mean clean install from a CDROM with full version of the OS on it. You might be able to get by with your 98 upgrade by using it to start. It will then prompt you for an earlier version of Windows. This is when you try the 3.1 disk. I dont know if this will work as I have only done this with 95/98.

c>

------------------

SO MUCH TO DO, SO LITTLE TIME.c>

Hofy,

I have a question now. I'm going to put together a "new" system with a faster CPU and mobo but I want to use my vid card, HD, audio, etc.

So what I'm getting is that I can just plug my old HD into the new mobo with maybe the vid card on it and start it up no prob. Is that correct? or would I want to plug in the PCI devices too, since all the drivers are already on the HD?

Nope reformatting doesnt hurt a drive. If you get a new drive bigger is OK. Just make sure you get 7200rpm with more cache if possible. With a bigger drive your clusters are going to be bigger. 32kb if you go over 32GB. Under 8 GB your cluster size is a small 4kb. So you may want to partition the physical drive into a few smaller drives. Partition Magic is a good program for this.

I know I am going to get flamed for this next one but I speak from experiance. AVOID Western Digital. Too high of a ratio of bad drives. We sent in our last WD drive that failed last month (a 2.5GB). They sent us a brand new 2.5GB to replace it. It lasted a whole 17 days. Atleast the last one held out for almost a year.

c>

------------------

Hope it doesnt crap out on you bro. As for RAID, you most likely dont want/need to on a home system unless you want to mirror for back up.

I have the Abit KT7/RAID mobo, I dont use the RAID feature. I only got it cuz I can hook up 8 IDE devices. biggrin.gif Sitting at 6 right now. (3 Hard Drives, CDROM, CDRW, Zip) I think the Zip is going to go though, I have not used it since I got the CDRW.

c>

------------------

Yeah, that's a good point about the RAID when I think about it. So you have 3 HD's? Why don't you stripe two to get a speed increase? Are they different sizes?

Pretty soon, CD-RW's will go the way of the zip drive when DVD-RAM becomes affordable. What is it, 9 GB per side on a removable disc? Sold!

3 hard drives, 3 diff sizes, 3 diff speeds, 3 diff uses.

1. Maxtor 20GB ATA100 7200RPM 2MB cache.

2. Maxtor 13.6GB ATA66 5400RPM ?? cache.

3. Maxtor 17.2GB ATA33 5400RPM 512kb cache.

The 20GB is for games and internet.

The 13.6GB is for programing and Net development.

The 17.2GB is for business.

c>

------------------

Im gonna go with AMD Thunderbird on a DDR RAM Motherboard (760 chipset I believe) they havn;t come out yet last that I checked but I dont see any sense in spending and arm and a leg to buy a P4 (being that they aren't that good as expected) - it would be a little too hard to try and use the computer with only one arm

Hey guys, mind if I get you opinion? Here's what I've got:

1 SCSI-2 PCI controller card (not sure of brand, but it is a dual-channel 40Mb/sec card)

2 4GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SCSI-2 harddrives (pulled from a SUN workstation)

2 30GB Maxtor ATA100 7200RPM 2MB cache harddrives (new)

1 KT7-RAID mobo (will be here Friday)

1 Tbird 800Mhz processor (finally!)

I was thinking that I would install the OS and main apps on the SCSI drives in a RAID 0 config, and used the 30GB drives in a mirrored RAID config for storage. Do you have a better suggestion?

Yes, Hofy, I finally broke down and upgraded my P2 266 (Ahahaa!!!!). I got the ATI Radeon 64MB DDR vid card to go with my Sony 24" Trinitron biggrin.gif, so my system is almost complete. I'm thinking of gettting the NewQ Platinum EQ if the reviews turn out good.

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!