New system, HD Formating

Dman155

It depends on how much stuff you plan on putting on your c:/ drive.. is 16BG gonna be enough? I have a Maxtor 27.2 ATA66 drive as my c: and I am using 12GB at the mement.. of course I have 5.3GB on my d: drive (Maxtor 10.2GB ATA66)

The SCSI RAID would be nice if that would be enough space. I would actually not bother to mirror your Maxtors.. of course this is just me. And if you don't I would probably not RAID-0 them either - something about a 60GB drive as storage..

Well, if you RAID 0 the 4 GB's, that would be hella fast for boots. I guess if you use it only for the OS and system apps, that should be plenty of storage.

Given my HD problems the last week, I like the idea of a complete HD backup. Hopefully, you'll never need it, tho . . .

On the C:\ drive I plan on putting Windows ME/Windows 2000 in a dual boot config, plus Office 2000 Professional. The other apps I use are Dreamweaver, Fireworks, photoshop, Illustrator, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Bryce 4 etc. I think that 8GB will be enough for the OS and apps installs, with the 30GB drives for storing all the data files.

I also have a pair of WD 14GB harddrives that I will use for .wav storage (MP3s suck imo) and just junk files.

Con't wait to see how this baby performs. If I was to try putting the OS on the SCSI drives, then try it on the 30GB drives, what programs do you suggest to benchmark with? I have SandraSoft.

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!

Well, I already upgrade one of my PCs to WinME. Did that about a month ago. This machine is used for making harddrive images and burning backup CDs at work. Before, with 98SE, the computer would be frozen when I came to work in the morning. Now, with ME, it's been running great with no lockups. I left it on for an entire weekend just to see and it was fine when I came back Monday. So, I'm willing to try ME, but I'll revert back to SE if all does not go well.

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!

oh yeah?

interesting...

i guess it depends on the rest of the configuration.

i want to try WinME too, but I'm not willing to buy it (since I'm not sure whether it'll work) and I still haven't found anyone in my surroundings with a copy.

/edit/

what are the most interesting improvements in WinME? I still haven't figured out exactly what's different from an upgraded, all patched-up version of Win98SE...