replacement woofers for RF3

Just seeing if anyone thinks this sb acoustics 8 inch driver would be a suitable replacement for a pair of RF3 towers. SB20PFC30-4 8" paper cone woofer 4ohm. specs /nominal impedance 4ohms/dc resistance  Re 3.4  ohms/ voice coil inductance Le0.71 mh/ effective piston area Sd 216 cm2/ voice coil diam. 30.5 mm/ voice coil hght 16.5mm/ air gap hght 5mm/ linear coil travel (p-p) 11.5mm/ magnetic flux density 1.2T/ magnet weight 0.54 kg/ net weight 1.43 kg/ Fs 33.7hz/ sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 92.5db/ Qms 2.78/ Qes 0.37/ Qts 0.33/ Mms 22.4 g/ Force factor Bl 6.6Tm/ Vas 66.2 ltrs/ Cms 1.0mm/N / Rms 1.7kg/s/ Rated power handling 50 watts. 

3 hours ago, Thomas e Maslanka Jr. said:

Just seeing if anyone thinks this sb acoustics 8 inch driver would be a suitable replacement for a pair of RF3 towers. SB20PFC30-4 8" paper cone woofer 4ohm.

No, I believe the woofers in the RF-3 are 8 ohm not 4 ohm

7 hours ago, Thomas e Maslanka Jr. said:

Just seeing if anyone thinks this sb acoustics 8 inch driver would be a suitable replacement for a pair of RF3 towers. SB20PFC30-4 8" paper cone woofer 4ohm. specs /nominal impedance 4ohms/dc resistance  Re 3.4  ohms/ voice coil inductance Le0.71 mh/ effective piston area Sd 216 cm2/ voice coil diam. 30.5 mm/ voice coil hght 16.5mm/ air gap hght 5mm/ linear coil travel (p-p) 11.5mm/ magnetic flux density 1.2T/ magnet weight 0.54 kg/ net weight 1.43 kg/ Fs 33.7hz/ sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 92.5db/ Qms 2.78/ Qes 0.37/ Qts 0.33/ Mms 22.4 g/ Force factor Bl 6.6Tm/ Vas 66.2 ltrs/ Cms 1.0mm/N / Rms 1.7kg/s/ Rated power handling 50 watts. 

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-woofer-1011974.html

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-1011974-rf-82-mkii-woofer/

Willand - the cones are warped from heat or tiny hands. The dust covers are loose thats no big deal.  jjptkd -These sb drivers have an 8ohm option different t/s parameters. moray james- these drivers are from madisound and are 27.00 each the simply speakers  are 79.00 or 75.00 and are a little out of my range. I understand these are paper cones not ceramettalic . I have the center and matching surrounds in good condition. I'm sure I'll notice poor integration. These are just to get by till i do some more negotiating for some 80's Klipschorns which i will not make any cheap substitutions.p

Pictures forth coming.

53 minutes ago, Thomas e Maslanka Jr. said:

Willand - the cones are warped from heat or tiny hands. The dust covers are loose thats no big deal.  jjptkd -These sb drivers have an 8ohm option different t/s parameters. moray james- these drivers are from madisound and are 27.00 each the simply speakers  are 79.00 or 75.00 and are a little out of my range. I understand these are paper cones not ceramettalic . I have the center and matching surrounds in good condition. I'm sure I'll notice poor integration. These are just to get by till i do some more negotiating for some 80's Klipschorns which i will not make any cheap substitutions.p

Pictures forth coming.

you can spend less on a substitute or you can buy the correct replacement driver and retain full resale value and performance. You can chose to do what ever you want. The RF3 on a top quality system is a fine sounding loudspeaker and worth the cost to repair/restore to as new performance.

If however you don't have much into the RF3 and do not plan to keep them for the long term and as you say you plan to make your next speaker purchase up the Klipsch ladder then sure drop in any old cheap drivers and get by with that til you find the Khorns you want. The next guy to buy your RF3 can restore them. What ever works but now you know where to get the parts so make a note with all the details and tape it to the back of the cabinet for the next guy. Enjoy your audio journey.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have used 4 of the drivers Moray James recommended, 1011974 from Simply Speakers in my RF-3 lls. They look and sound great, plus the folks at Simply Speakers are excellent to deal with.  Also added 5 inches to the  bass port using a B52 port from Parts Express, gained some low end much to my wife’s upset.

• 5 months later...

Hello All, 

I just got a set of 1011974's to replace the woofers in my RF3's (original) and the connecters on the new woofers have connectors which are larger than on the originals. Has anyone come across this issue and if so are they compatible? Thanks in advance.

Will

• 6 months later...

I just acquired a pair of RF3 ii's for almost nothing.  They were "thrown in" with a larger purpose.  But the woofers are in bad shape.  I don't know how it happened, but all 4 have significant dents all over the cones.  I saw the replacements at Simply Speakers, but at $85 each plus shipping it's going to cost $400 to replace all 4 woofers.

Is there a recone kit available?  I've done speaker recones before and while challenging it's not hard to do if you take your time.  I'm not looking to replace with traditional "black" woofers because the copper woofers are so distinctive and it would kill the resale value to have anything other than the copper woofers.