Morels

mr clean

Some people around here sell them. I know one guy who hunts them with a bloodhound. This is him. They go for about 60 bucks a pound which is expensive but finding them is a lot of work.  I have a order in for a pound. You can only find them for 3 or 4 weeks a year around here.

3.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

$60/pound is a bit rich for my taste.

I don't buy them often. Most I paid in the past is 35 bucks but that was 4 or 5 years ago. I would not sell them for that with the work involved. And its a lot cheaper than weed. Its a one time a year thing so if you want them you either hunt or pay someone. I only have time to hunt maybe one more time this year.  Season is about up here.

2 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

You can buy these dried and they’re just as good as fresh prepared correctly. If you like mushrooms these are deeply flavored ‘shrooms. It does not take a lot of them to enhance a plate.

Sounds interesting.  The most flavorful mushroom I have used so far is the Shitake.  Very pungent!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Sounds interesting.  The most flavorful mushroom I have used so far is the Shitake.  Very pungent!

Jeff,

It isn't season for them yet in Ohio. I am an avid game hunter and have never found any in the wild. Have not priced them this year, but last year you could buy them online for $50 a pound. Extremely rare and buttery flavor so I am told.  :D

Roger

• Like 2

1 minute ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Jeff,

It isn't season for them yet in Ohio. I am an avid game hunter and have never found any in the wild. Have not priced them this year, but last year you could buy them online for $50 a pound. Extremely rare and buttery flavor so I am told.  :D

Roger

I like them a lot. But part of it is the fact that you found them. I think this alone makes them taste better to hunters. I dipped them in egg. Rolled them in flour, with salt, and pepper. Fried in cast iron skillet a bit. So good!

Rodger the best time to hunt in the woods is after a rain, in the spring when the ground temp is 50 to 60. Mid 40 temps at night. 60 to 70 in the day and sunny. Loomy soil with leaf cover is where I do the best. North banks early in the season. Where the sun is hitting it. A lot of times around dead trees, and look around may apples also.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, mr clean said:

Rodger the best time to hunt in the woods is after a rain, in the spring when the ground temp is 50 to 60. Mid 40 temps at night. 60 to 70 in the day and sunny. Loomy soil with leaf cover is where I do the best. North banks early in the season. Where the sun is hitting it. A lot of times around dead trees, and look around may apples also.

Can't they be farmed?

Jeff I like the black fungus too.  I am lucky to get woodears in the yard when conditions provide, never see them fresh anywhere due to fragility and short shelf life so they are a special treat for me.  Both can be found dried at asian groceries, have been putting the black fungus in a variety of applications lately.  The shredded into strips style are easy to work with.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Can't they be farmed?

I know there are farms but I do not know any more than that. I just eat them when we have them. It would be very profitable im sure, if you could grow a shit ton of them.

• Like 1