Morels

mr clean

I used to hunt them all the time around here.  Not so much in the last few years.  They're fantastic just floured and fried up in butter.  They'll enhance a good steak in a great way.  Dry them for use in spaghetti sauce or if you can just toss em in.  Just South of the Mack bridge up in ichigan the hunting season is insane.  Have been up there 4-5 times with friends in season and it's insane.  The locals even take the road signs down so you can't find the roads you hunted in previous years.  Insane but ALWAYS a good party in the evenings!  Put them in a net bag so the spores fall out when your walking so you regenerate them!  Good stuff!

• Like 2

Hahaha, just remembered this.  One guy that went w/us was high 75% of the time he hunted.  Great guy and funny as heck.  Welllll he got totally lost one day.  We went back and waited 3 hours for him and nothing.  Called the Sheriffs office and asked them if he might have checked in w/them.  Nope, nada.  After dark we gave up and went back to the little hotel we always stayed at.  I mean what could we do?  We'd driven and looked, notified the Sheriff he was still missing and had NO idea where he was.  The next morning we found him about 5 miles from where we were walkin down the road.  Yup, he got lost and swore he'd never smoke dope again and hunt mushrooms.  Said he was so thirsty he was drinking water outta puddles and found this old couple living in a cabin back in the woods with no phone.  They took him in, fed him and loved him being there.  Even invited him back the next year.  We just shook our heads but he did say he'd never hunt mushrooms in the woods up there high again.  There we sat all of us around the fire that nite drunk as skunks laffin our rears off.  So yea, now I'm gonna have to give him a call and tell him it's about time to go north.  Should  be a hoot!  

• Like 2

Yuuuuuuuup.  We had a great time going up there.  Too bad his phone died that day.  lol  We told him though.  Another buddy built a camper on the back end of his Peterbuilt.  Amazing camper.  He'd take his wife and they'd pull their 4-wheelers behind it.  Talk about easy pickin's?  He killed it on those things up there.  Just checked in w/Jay on his cabin fever and asked if he wanted to go North huntin.  He jumped at the chance.  hahahaha  Would give social distancing a new meaning!  lol  

• Haha 1

Morels was a restaurant near Madison, WI that used morels in many of their dishes.  Had dinner there a few times as it was one of my late father-in -law's favorite places to take us when we visited.  Great food including wild game, and a long list of single malt scotches.  I think it closed around 10 years ago.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2020 at 8:24 PM, Seadog said:

Morels was a restaurant near Madison, WI that used morels in many of their dishes.  Had dinner there a few times as it was one of my late father-in -law's favorite places to take us when we visited.  Great food including wild game, and a long list of single malt scotches.  I think it closed around 10 years ago.

It was in Middleton, on the West side. There's one in Milwaukie:

http://morelmke.com/

• Moderators
On 4/25/2020 at 8:07 AM, grasshopper said:

social distancing [for me] is about what it takes to graze a cow out here..... 1beast/10 acres

that's about as social as I get ... and that is a little too close

I think that should be a standard, for 2 legged beast also unless it's a pair.

• Like 1