Smoked meatloaf

mr clean

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I have never made one but im going to make one tomorrow. Im using half ground beef and half sausage. Not going to use much wood. I don't think it will take much. Anyone ever do one on a smoker?

Yes I have done many, wrapped in bacon and not. 

I like your idea of half beef and half sausage, I have done it many times for burgers. Myself I like half hot pork sausage and half ground beef, the pork sausage adds to the juiciness. The only thing if you use pork sausage to anything make sure you cook it to 140 degrees internal temp.

One big tip on smoking meatloaf, use a big flat pan and put foil on it and shape the meatloaf on the foil. Slide the meatloaf with the foil under it onto the smoker leaving the foil under it and remove the same way.

I did it the first time without the foil and it stuck in a few places and kind of broke up trying to remove it. The foil makes it MUCH easier all the way around,  toward the end of the cook I use the thermometer probe tip to punch a couple holes in the foil around the meat to allow the extra juice to run off, just to make a little less mess.

Meatloaf smokes really well, your going to like it.  

• Thanks 2

I've smoked many. Pecan wood works best, I think. Its' smoke doesn't overwhelm the loaf. I usually use 1/3 sausage to 2/3 ground beef. If you top with ketchup or bbq sauce, I suggest that you don't add it until you take it off of the smoker.

SSH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Did you poke a couple holes in the tin foil?

When it was about done, just to let the juice run off. It's not a problem as as far as smoke getting in it, the three sides seem to be plenty enough, somehow it absorbs the smoke taste well.

Never though about something like a fine grate under it to move back and forth, but never straight on the grate again, that was kind of a mess.....still ate it.

• Like 1

I haven't had meatloaf in a long time.  Sounds good!

Speaking of mixing beef and sausage, I make some killer quesadillas on the stovetop. For the veggies, I use mushrooms, onions, peppers and serranos sauteed in butter.  For meats, I use 2/3 NY strip sliced into thin squares and 1/3  jalapeno sausage link diced in same size chunks.   And shredded cheese, of course!  If you try this, be sure to put a small squirt of oil on the frying pan right right before each side and just spin it around for a turn or 2 to disperse it.  It adds just a touch of crisp to the shell.  It's hard to ruin one, and they come out really good!

Good luck on your meatloaf!  Let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

oh, this is about actual meatloaf.  I thought you had just beaten Michael (Meatloaf, the singer) in some sporting event or game. 

Yes it's a real meatloaf, not a guy who wishes he was a rockstar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I make smoked venison meatloaf fairly often. My wife even loves it, and she doesn't care for venison.  Ground venison is so lean that I mix it with around 25% ground pork so it doesn't dry out on the smoker.  Actually, we just had it for dinner yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

My beloved Ketchup i hope.

Stewie, you are probably a  purest,  but I add a splash of Worcestershire sauce in my ketchup before I put it on the meatloaf. Seems to make it a little more sophisticated, like me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Stewie, you are probably a  purest,  but I add a splash of Worcestershire sauce in my ketchup before I put it on the meatloaf. Seems to make it a little more sophisticated, like me.

love that stuff too. I often use several things worcestershire, A1, Ketchup, Tabasco, BBQ sauce (peppery ones not sweet ones).  i’m happy if i have any of these available. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

FYI, I smoke the loaf at 250F to 260F for approximately 2 ½ - 3 hours, for an internal temperature of 165F.

Thats about what I was reading it would take. Im not to worried about the smoking temp as long as it stays above 225 and below 300 or so. I was pulling at 165 like you said. Thanks for all the tips guys.

• Like 3