Smoked meatloaf

mr clean

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Seadog said:

Parchment paper works well too.

Never thought of that, good idea.

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

FYI, I smoke the loaf at 250F to 260F for approximately 2 ½ - 3 hours, for an internal temperature of 165F.

Close to what I do, 225f for however long it takes, it does make a difference how big and thick it is, but your right.

• Like 1

BigManStew was talking about the singer meatloaf. I think it is fitting that I listen to meatloaf bat out of hell right now. Im not using any bat though. I hear thats not a good idea. As a burned out hippie dude I met in my travels would says, thats some bad boogie!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mr clean said:

BigManStew was talking about the singer meatloaf. I think it is fitting that I listen to meatloaf bat out of hell right now. Im not using any bat though. I hear thats not a good idea. As a burned out hippie dude I met in my travels would says, thats some bad boogie!

You can use bat meat as long as you mix a little Clorox in with it.  It'll kill all the Wuhan in the loaf.

• Haha 3

Turned out great! took right at 3 hours. at about 235 degrees most of the time. Smoke profile was spot on. Very moist! I went a little easy on the spices first time out and im glad I did. I used saltine crackers, so I knew that would add salt anyway. I may add alittle ketchup to the meat next time, but thats about all I will change. If i was better at it I would post pics. You can say it didn't  happen without pics and im OK with that. Its the best meatloaf that I never made! 

• Like 4

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, mr clean said:

Turned out great! took right at 3 hours. at about 235 degrees most of the time. Smoke profile was spot on. Very moist! I went a little easy on the spices first time out and im glad I did. I used saltine crackers, so I knew that would add salt anyway. I may add alittle ketchup to the meat next time, but thats about all I will change. If i was better at it I would post pics. You can say it didn't  happen without pics and im OK with that. Its the best meatloaf that I never made! 

Never tried saltine crackers, I usually go with what I grew up with what my mother used in meatloaf, although she never smoked it.

I add a fair amount of good Italian bread crumbs and a couple eggs and whatever seasoning, especially if no pork was added.

Most of the time I don't add anything to the top, if I do it's somewhere between ketchup and bbq sauce maby put on about halfway through to cook and smoke with the meat, plus when I remember a few big slices of onion just sitting on top, just depends on what everyone feels like.

Really glad you like how it came out, sounds like it needs to be something regular you do................makes good sandwiches also   

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Saltines?  Listen to Andy ... he’ll tell you the truth ... he’s a sheriff.

Not  Ritz but saltines, I really like both and tend to eat regular saltines pretty often, I have put all kinds of things on them from sardines to pb&j, and even just ketchup. :o :lol: No none of them together :emotion-41:

And your right,  he is Andy, not Barney.

Now I"m thinking about making one.  This is soooo NOT good cause I'll have to do kitchen work then grill work for just me.  Guess I could share some w/the oldest daughter.  Maybe w/some ground bratwurst in lieu of the sausage.  That could be interesting.  Hmmmm...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Now I"m thinking about making one.  This is soooo NOT good cause I'll have to do kitchen work then grill work for just me.  Guess I could share some w/the oldest daughter.  Maybe w/some ground bratwurst in lieu of the sausage.  That could be interesting.  Hmmmm...

Just refrigerate then freeze the rest.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

That's the way I feel Dave ... why go through all that work and mess just for me.  I know me very well and I'm not worth that much effort. 

Yea, that's the down side of it.  The other thing is I wouldn't know how much ketchup to use but I'm sure you could provide expert guidance.  hahahaha  :)

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Yea, that's the down side of it.  The other thing is I wouldn't know how much ketchup to use but I'm sure you could provide expert guidance.  hahahaha  :)

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

My advice ... you can NEVER use too much Ketchup.

I was going to say it's a good thing Sams or Costco does not sell ketchup in 55 gallon drums. 

• Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, billybob said:

Yes, you deserve it. Don't sell yourself short.

You would think he was tall the way he looks down on himself so much.

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

That's the way I feel Dave ... why go through all that work and mess just for me.  I know me very well and I'm not worth that much effort. 

Clean a couple things from cooking and have some for later, anyway what else do you have to do ?

• Like 1