project renewal - a covid timeout Lotus Elan

garyeanderson

I have been at this particular project for about 5 years, they can be done in a year with a lot of time and money but this S4 is being put together with what is at hand or does not cost a lot. This Elan body I was offered by a friend for $200 and needed close to 75 days to put it into prime. I had known the car for 25 years so I knew a bit of the history and a lot of background so I was not going in blind. Anyhow this covid issue came along and well, I had just the thing to do to keep myself occupied since the middle of last month. Still lots to do when we come off of covid "stay at home" time.

I started on the "rats nest", the dashboard is a homemade piece  and is only temped inplace to get he wiring harness dressed in place. some of the parts that are going into the dash are not ready so for now it lays on the tunnel.

IMG_1638.thumb.JPG.5615d894ccd5241cf8dda38284bb0bb1.JPG

Harness through the firewall with fuse box and solenoid - moving dolly and a milk crate hold the body up

IMG_1643.thumb.JPG.a6f3a4bfd9525fa1cbf8e28052655a18.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, garyeanderson said:

needed to do some disassembly to get the rear strut brace installed - the list is what needs to get done before the dash goes in

IMG_1668.thumb.JPG.9b617c1fd3205312cca105a27b797f80.JPG

Got to keep on the move with this so another 5 years doesn't slip by...

IMG_1673.thumb.JPG.21ee20185b9bff839b96406970e1108f.JPG

I would bet that you watch "Tool Time".

JJK

I had a 77 Spitfire that was left by s student. No registration... tracked down someone who remembered it at some rallys but didn't kniw the owner. Wanted to make it an electric vehicle... Then the wife got sick and I never got back to it. After about 8 years I gave it away. Speaker projects are bad enough for me...

On 4/25/2020 at 5:00 AM, Marvel said:

I had a 77 Spitfire that was left by s student. No registration... tracked down someone who remembered it at some rallys but didn't kniw the owner. Wanted to make it an electric vehicle... Then the wife got sick and I never got back to it. After about 8 years I gave it away. Speaker projects are bad enough for me...

My brother had one of those, when he was in HS. I borrowed it one time took it on a perfect S curve at 60 MPH and it didnt even slide, tried in a porsche  it could only do it at 50.  Funny every few years police cars would crash on this turn and they always ended up in the same spot in a stream. Read an article in road and track and someone put a Cobra engine in a spitfire, they said it was better than a Ferrari.

From now on, other than the engine going in, most of what needs to be done from here till it runs won't show up much in photos. This picture is an early one (like with in first 20 days) of picking up the body. Doors are attached to check the shut lines as I was doing some structural work on the metal lattice that surrounds  the door.

1592338616_doorsaffixed.thumb.jpg.51b11ae74bc2b298803ffdbc8ab98eab.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What’s the status of the lump?

A friend has an Elan and a Europa.  I would much rather have an Elan.  I look forward to following this.

There is a stock Twin cam shortblock on the bench (I should preface that in that it has been there for at least 17 years) that I am thinking of moving toward the engine bay. It will hopefully be close to stock and not cost too much :unsure:

• Thanks 1