First Watt ~ ALEPH J -vs- F3 ~

Born2RockU

10 hours ago, Chris A said:

As you can see above, the F3 has the lowest distortion and one of the lowest noise levels of all the First Watt designs to this day.  For a comparison, the SIT-3 has 20x the harmonic distortion as the F3--something that I'd pay a little attention to in the probably more audible application driving the Jubilee compression driver.  The noise level (50 microvolts) is also one of the lowest that Mr. Pass specified--something that I also find to be quite critical.  My F3 is actually a little noisier than I'd like it to be--but this is mostly due to the connections (unbalanced RCA connectors) even using hybrid XLR-RCA cables with shielding running the length of the cable to cut down on the common mode noise to the degree possible. These are important factors for the application, I've found, and are much different than using a First Watt amplifier to mono-amp a three-way La Scala or Khorn, etc.

If you can find a used F3, that would be be my first recommendation, since there are so many more of these that were sold.  However, the F1J or F2J are transconductance amplifiers (i.e., extremely high output impedance--greater than 15 ohms) and are even cleaner in terms of their output using compression drivers since the transconductance nature of their operation means that they totally ignore the back-EMF from the driver.  They wouldn't work in a mono-amping application trying to drive loudspeakers using passive crossovers.

To the OP, Born2RockU, my F3 is a clone and I no longer need it, since I don't have Jubes anymore. PM me if interested in a bargain amplifier with an excellent pedigree. Basically it's a perfect match for a TAD or other high end driver on K-402's!!

11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

To the OP, Born2RockU, my F3 is a clone and I no longer need it, since I don't have Jubes anymore. PM me if interested in a bargain amplifier with an excellent pedigree. Basically it's a perfect match for a TAD or other high end driver on K-402's!!

ClaudeJ1 -  I just sent you a PM

MY email address :

Born2Rock@Comcast.net ... if you wanna email direct.