Electoral College: Should it stay or go?

oldtimer

1 minute ago, dtel's wife said:

It has served us well. Could you imagine the voter fraud if we went to “popular vote”. It would make the “hanging chads” debacle minuscule in comparison. Or better yet, let’s open up mail in votes. That ought to work out really well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not arguing against it, but let's not get romantic about revisionist lies regarding our structure.

I'm torn. On the one hand, go strictly by popular vote and it becomes a TV game show. On the other hand, winner-take-all within each state clearly doesn't work (IMHO). Perhaps electoral votes apportioned by popular vote, as nearly as possible, would be a reasonable compromise?

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The Electoral College was installed n the Constitution to eliminate dumb a-- people from electing a dumb a-- President.

JJK

The problem is that dumb a~~ people are more organized now than they were in 1788.  They are emotionally roused by a talk-radio noise machine that shouts nonsense into their limbic system and, in turn, they have an entire inter-webs to puke out dumb a~~ blogs.  A “visceral” cycle that successfully manipulates low-information Kool-Aid drinkers to sincerely believe a spectrum of outrageous BS such as “mainstream” media having an agenda to destroy the very Constitution that guarantees a free press.  The noise machine pounds away about a mysterious “Deep State” that is so well organized that no one really knows anything about it - the idea is to sow seeds of fear into the Kool-Aid drinkers in order to target honorable career public servants that place service to the Nation over the whims of an egomaniac.  The whole “Deep State” fallacy provides the distraction from the fact that rather than draining the swamp, he is polluting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

On the other hand, winner-take-all within each state clearly doesn't work (IMHO). Perhaps electoral votes apportioned by popular vote, as nearly as possible, would be a reasonable compromise?

i'm in favor of that ... winner take all is the stupidest concept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOOK.  This is not my thread.  So quoting me in the discussion is only serving to remind of that fact, and piss me off even further.  But as a point of information, no amendments are needed.  Winner take all state by state is NOT in the constitution.  Now, figure out why most states are that way.  Could it be that the two major parties have made the laws for that?  Now let me the **** alone, I made myself clear at the beginning of this thread who is responsible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

If it goes by popular vote only large cities/populations will be electing presidents and whole states with lower populations would not really count.

Either way decide before elections, not during or after.

• Like 1