Electoral College: Should it stay or go?

oldtimer

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Except for totally different lifestyles and beliefs, neither is more important so large populations/cities  who believe the rest of the country does not really count " fly over states" . This is  also similar to why redistricting is important, in many cases minority's were not or barely counting.

Elden,

I must respectfully disagree.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Elden,

I must respectfully disagree.

That's the way it should be, if we all agreed everything would be pretty boring and never advance. 

I tend to go to one side of the political side (mostly, not everything) but have always believed it was a little silly to be forced in one of two directions, when the smart answer is found somewhere in between.  But powers want to stay in power and a middle of the road vote is usually wasted, one day maby. It will take the right person. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

I tend to go to one side of the political side (mostly, not everything) but have always believed it was a little silly to be forced in one of two directions, when the smart answer is found somewhere in between. 

I've always been a centrist, but the world has shifted so much that people now tauntingly call me a liberal. Funny thing is that my views haven't actually changed.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I've always been a centrist, but the world has shifted so much that people now tauntingly call me a liberal. Funny thing is that my views haven't actually changed.

That has been said alot by democrats in the last year, many leaders in the party have moved so far to the left regular democrats are left behind. 

Plus overall we need term limits, instead of old dried up prune faced permanent do nothings, well except for building power and staying there as a goal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

That has been said alot by democrats in the last year, many leaders in the party have moved so far to the left regular democrats are left behind. 

I'm not a Democrat.

• Moderators

I didn't mean you, from what you said i thought of you as a real centrist. 

It just made me think that many old style democrats probably feel kind of abandoned closer to what now is considered the center. When there really just the democrat from 15 years ago.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:20 PM, willland said:

Is there a way to create a "hybrid" vote?:unsure:

Bill

Yes, the hybrid vote has been around for some time, it's also called the "Dead Mans' Vote", hence the push for Voter ID cards.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So is it going to stay?

What would/does your Mom think about it.

Mine said it should stay.

Happy Mother's Day!

Not even sure if it would matter anymore. Reminds me of the Clash song.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Happy Mother's Day!

Not even sure if it would matter anymore. Reminds me of the Clash song.

I think it would matter, the strategy would shift, but I think in a bad way. Wouldn't it promote strategies to dissuade and discourage the "popular vote" from turning out?

Just now, dwilawyer said:

I think it would matter, the strategy would shift, but I think in a bad way. Wouldn't it promote strategies to dissuade and discourage the "popular vote" from turning out?

Would actually have preferred popular vote as the deciding factor in elections. Of course, all respect for a mothers point of view. Yes, 

there would be a restrategy. People of this country like to know their vote makes a difference, in which there can be no doubt which, all things being equal, would prefer other countries not assisting in that vote... thanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

the rules work exactly the same for everybody , sometimes it favors one , and other times the other ,  that's fair , winner takes all -  and Canada across the border works the same way -----

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

So is it going to stay?

What would/does your Mom think about it.

Mine said it should stay.

Yes , it's gonna stay , because , it's worked for so long -it's the American Way -

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 5:08 PM, JJkizak said:

The Electoral College was installed n the Constitution to eliminate dumb a-- people from electing a dumb a-- President.

JJK

In simplest form, you are correct, .....   or, at least I agree.  Imagine the horror if Los Angeles and NYC dictated the law for everything in between.  Makes me sick just thinking about it.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...