Electoral College: Should it stay or go?

oldtimer

On 4/25/2020 at 5:08 PM, JJkizak said:

The Electoral College was installed n the Constitution to eliminate dumb a-- people from electing a dumb a-- President.

JJK

Well, that certainly hasn't worked - on more than one occasion.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with the electoral college per se'.

However, it should also be required by law that the electors vote the same way as those they represent. At the moment, they do not have to vote as their constituent. And if they are found not to vote that way, there should also be substantial punishment and fines levied against them.

Unfortunately, none of this is in place, so what's the point?

6 hours ago, Marvel said:
On 4/25/2020 at 7:29 PM, sputnik said:

he problem is that dumb a~~ people are more organized now than they were in 1788.  They are emotionally roused by a talk-radio noise machine that shouts nonsense into their limbic system and, in turn, they have an entire inter-webs to puke out dumb a~~ blogs.  A “visceral” cycle that successfully manipulates low-information Kool-Aid drinkers to sincerely believe a spectrum of outrageous BS such as “mainstream” media having an agenda to destroy the very Constitution that guarantees a free press.  The noise machine pounds away about a mysterious “Deep State” that is so well organized that no one really knows anything about it - the idea is to sow seeds of fear into the Kool-Aid drinkers in order to target honorable career public servants that place service to the Nation over the whims of an egomaniac.  The whole “Deep State” fallacy provides the distraction from the fact that rather than draining the swamp, he is polluting it.

Perfect explanation! The past few years has been embarrassing.

Facebook??? LOL

57 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

That statement has a lot of truth in it. The fight each other and call each other names in front of the camera and then have martini's together when the day is over. 

Like in the Simpsons, when the two candidates, John Jackson and Jack Johnson, were both basically interchangeable?

^^^Money Man...It's all about the money....on both sides...

Thought for all here...Lets get rid of sides...

Money power will go away...

Edit to add this... Just my thoughts, getting rid of sides I think is attainable...Money is *****...???

48 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

No it isn't. What is real, folks are fighting among each other for what is believed to be a better life...

... which is a piece, however small, of the government ***.  

These days, a government job is, at least for many around here, quite a boon.  Here, we see court coordinators, with typically a high school diploma, earning salaries of $10-20k more than the typical attorneys, plus they get health insurance and retirement.  I run into people who've worked for the City of Houston for 25-30 years; they are in their mid-late 50's and fully vested to where they could hang it up, kick back, and pull in $60k the rest of their lives.  All I can say is, "Wow!"

And you wonder why politics has become bitter?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

And you wonder why politics has become bitter?

I too have lived the city government life,  Past 20 years here.

Being part of a City government for this long, I have watched "and it is happening", Pensions are going away...

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

We are all bozos on this bus.

No I'm not. I'm no bozo.

I'm with Insane Clown Posse, on the other bus!!!

Image result for insane clown posse   over there

4 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

My issue is with how prevalent misleading "news" is.  But... We have to accept this as part of a free press, so caveat emptor.

Yes.  Didn't Tomas Jefferson say something like, "If I had to choose between newspapers with no government and government without newspapers, I'd choose newspapers without government."

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 7:29 PM, sputnik said:

The problem is that dumb a~~ people are more organized now than they were in 1788.  They are emotionally roused by a talk-radio noise machine that shouts nonsense into their limbic system and, in turn, they have an entire inter-webs to puke out dumb a~~ blogs.  A “visceral” cycle that successfully manipulates low-information Kool-Aid drinkers to sincerely believe a spectrum of outrageous BS such as “mainstream” media having an agenda to destroy the very Constitution that guarantees a free press.  The noise machine pounds away about a mysterious “Deep State” that is so well organized that no one really knows anything about it - the idea is to sow seeds of fear into the Kool-Aid drinkers in order to target honorable career public servants that place service to the Nation over the whims of an egomaniac.  The whole “Deep State” fallacy provides the distraction from the fact that rather than draining the swamp, he is polluting it.

Sounds a lot like going to church to me.

The swamp is getting BIGGER