Electoral College: Should it stay or go?

oldtimer

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

That statement has a lot of truth in it. The fight each other and call each other names in front of the camera and then have martini's together when the day is over. 

it became obvious to me too, but it took an uncensored loud mouth to get elected to ring it home loud and clear. Just wish we had a roman colosseum where we could throw some career politicians into the lion pit and cheer on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

... which is a piece, however small, of the government ***.  

These days, a government job is, at least for many around here, quite a boon.  Here, we see court coordinators, with typically a high school diploma, earning salaries of $10-20k more than the typical attorneys, plus they get health insurance and retirement.  I run into people who've worked for the City of Houston for 25-30 years; they are in their mid-late 50's and fully vested to where they could hang it up, kick back, and pull in $60k the rest of their lives.  All I can say is, "Wow!"

And you wonder why politics has become bitter?

Google the salary of the last two City Managers for Laredo, Texas.   Their annual salaries are closing-in on the 7 figure mark, it made Forbes news.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, MyOwn said:
7 hours ago, Marvel said:

the deep state is very real

No it isn't. What is real, folks are fighting among each other for what is believed to be a better life...

I was not the one who said that. I know it isn't real.

36 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Google the salary of the last two City Managers for Laredo, Texas.   Their annual salaries are closing-in on the 7 figure mark, it made Forbes news.

I know nothing about the salaries or demands of city managers, but there must be some market forces at work to cause this, such as unusual talents in finding good people, keeping things cool and making things work right politically, etc.  Some would be surprised that, with a certain amount of high-priced talent in the uppermost reaches of an excellent symphony orchestra, the highest paid musician is often the conductor, although many would assume he or she only has to wave their arms just so.  But that's what a community sometimes has to do to get someone they like in that job.  Same sort of thing?

Funny thing is, good conductors are frequently very well liked, and aren't begrudged the money, if so.

-- Larry

1 hour ago, garyrc said:

Yes.  Didn't Tomas Jefferson say something like, "If I had to choose between newspapers with no government and government without newspapers, I'd choose newspapers without government."

Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

$880,486!  Dayum!!!

Chump change that is. 
Find the salaries/contracts of head football coaches at each states biggest universities. Almost always the highest paid state employees.

All to coach today’s “student athletes” and tomorrow’s normal citizen, less the .1% that turn pro. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richieb said:

Chump change that is. 
Find the salaries/contracts of head football coaches at each states biggest universities. Almost always the highest paid state employees.

All to coach today’s “student athletes” and tomorrow’s normal citizen, less the .1% that turn pro. 

All because football brings huge money to the schools.  Which reinforces Larry's point that a good city manager can bring lots of money to the city.  

On 8/28/2020 at 8:38 AM, richieb said:

Chump change that is. 

Apples to Bananas comparison....

Top coaches who contribute to improving Univ. Sports, also help generate $$$.

Laredo's revolving door policy and city manager payoffs.... Eeeeeh! not so much.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:59 PM, sputnik said:

Proving the point.

Most indubitably, absolutely, YES; but unfortunately in a "Pot Calling The Kettle Black" kinda way.

Not to worry though, there is plenty of koolaid to go around; your team has multiple free flowing faucets, the wacko conservatives only have one.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:14 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

Which reinforces Larry's point that a good city manager can bring lots of money to the city.

How?  By waving their arms around?

Laredo went from a strong corrupt mayor system to a weak corrupt mayor system with a corrupt city manager.

• Haha 1