Electoral College: Should it stay or go?

oldtimer

the  People  should  have the Right to Elect the President , and  the Electoral College should have  the Final say in any Election ,as they are the  Protectors the Founders wanted  against any foreign Intervention in the Electoral process   --

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

And there isn't.

-  in a sense there is , as any  Election still represents the  Will of all the People who voted for a majority of  Candidates   -

On 4/25/2020 at 2:15 PM, MyOwn said:

I think a good read...I'm for get rid of it.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Electoral_Vote_vs_Popular_Vote

No way on the Popular Vote.  Hitler and the gestapo would disagree I'm sure, and so would the majority enjoying life in the s-hole metropolises. Simply put, these congested s-hole metropolises don't offer balanced representation. Popular vote.... No Way Jose.

Guess you can tell I'm not a big fan of the Big City's...... not even in my home state, not even my home city.  

Guess it's time to re-visit the US History book and re-learn the "benefits??" of the Electorate, but I do believe the recent example screamed out why such a system is in place......  what If the upper echelons of our law enforcement and the IRS were corrupt? McCabe, Comey, Strzok, Page, Lerner

• Like 2

During my many years when my candidate lost the electoral vote and won the popular vote I was in favor of doing away with it. The opposite when my candidate won. Funny how who wins determines how one thinks. All I can really say is be very careful changing anything our founding fathers decided was best for this country. It has made our Country the best in the world for a reason. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 8:29 PM, sputnik said:

The problem is that dumb a~~ people are more organized now than they were in 1788.  They are emotionally roused by a talk-radio noise machine that shouts nonsense into their limbic system and, in turn, they have an entire inter-webs to puke out dumb a~~ blogs.  A “visceral” cycle that successfully manipulates low-information Kool-Aid drinkers to sincerely believe a spectrum of outrageous BS such as “mainstream” media having an agenda to destroy the very Constitution that guarantees a free press.  The noise machine pounds away about a mysterious “Deep State” that is so well organized that no one really knows anything about it - the idea is to sow seeds of fear into the Kool-Aid drinkers in order to target honorable career public servants that place service to the Nation over the whims of an egomaniac.  The whole “Deep State” fallacy provides the distraction from the fact that rather than draining the swamp, he is polluting it.

Perfect explanation! The past few years has been embarrassing.

I would like to think that the American public is smarter now, or at least more informed, than when the Electoral College process was devised, but I think I would be wrong...

In the last election, HC won the popular vote with over 2.8 million votes. She still lost the election... We also have some of the lowest voter turnouts for modern democracies in the world. I am neither Republican nor Democrat.

9 minutes ago, Marvel said:

In the last election, HC won the popular vote with over 2.8 million votes. She still lost the election...

Thank god!

We are a collection of states that get equal representation under the law "popular" vote just means 3 or 4 out of 50 states determine all elections. Why should CA or NY be deciding who runs this country when they cannot even manage their own states? Even if they were shining examples on how to run government it would not be fair to other states. 

Pure democracy is simply mob rule, two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner, we're a constitutional republic not a democracy.

• Like 1