Anyone else have vacation plans ?

sunburnwilly

2 hours ago, dtel said:

For the workers out there, just think how many times you wished you could just take off a few weeks and got a break.           Your welcome ---the virus. 

Going to be a lot more than a few weeks in my line of work . At 54 it might be time to shift gears/careers .

wish I could barefoot.  things are crunchy dry. Even the grass will poke... and the surface temp are climbing. Not gummy asphalt... yet

well....

my "vacation" started early. Wife being home is my vacation. I had planned on going to the lake once a week. With  everyone off work, it looked like a holiday weekend out there. Pass on that.

I do have some toys. R/C things, slot cars. They have been getting some thought. Particularly the R/C helicopters. There are a few experiments i have put off for years. I have the parts and now, the time. One that is a working prototype.  just needs the finishing touches.

and a little airplane that wants improved avionics. That will prolly end with me building a bigger plane.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

and the surface temp are climbing.

i spent some years living in the desert. the ground gets VERY hot.  I remember being on a roof at work and the asphalt shingles melting. used to soak my shirt and hat, work till it dried, then soak it some more. couldn’t handle working in that extreme heat at my age, but when you’re young, the body is more forgiving. 

• Like 2

Plans were to spend a month at my fathers new Florida home he just moved into. He basically bought a 6 acre orchard with a lanai. Gas is cheap. 22 Hours drive. Problem is I have zero faith in this present Covid-19 world. Now I am hearing about how the majority of people with Corona don't even know it, and show no symptoms at all. Just carriers. I might do OK, but my wife would likely not make it through an infection. She is compromised. So I am locked down in order to protect her. This is exactly the opposite of a vacation. Seems like all I do is hoard food now. Probably $2K worth just this month. I wear a mask and gloves every time I go out. If I were under the age of 30 I am sure I would be on a nationwide tour right now.  We will see how it goes. There is always next winter.

Speaking of yarn...  here's a story that will steal 3 minutes of your life that you will never get back.

Years ago, like 1984, I spent a month in Europe going to various locations.  Asked a (ahem) female friend if she'd like to go with me....  (was a no-go if you want to pick at any of my old scabs)

Anyway, her mother seemed to adore me and asked me to try to get some Scottish (??) yarn for her as she loved to knit...  Asked what color, she said anything that I thought looked nice.

Well, I never got there however, ANOTHER female friend of mine spent a week with me (lips are sealed)  and after we split apart for her to return, she later DID go there.  So, after I got home, I got a skane (whatever a bundle is called) of yarn or two....  That was nice of her to send.  I took it to the mother of the prior gal....

Well, it seems what she was trying to do was get enough yarn to knit ME a sweater (I always scored high with parents, siblings and their pets....coming in last, the female of my target but, that's another story)

So, she admitted she was going to knit me a sweater but, there wasn't enough material there but to maybe do a couple socks.

Bummed out a bit, I gave it to her anyway (never got a pair of socks I might add) and she passed away early just 1-3 years (forget) later with a stroke.

Her daughter and I are still very good/close friends....  go back to knowing each other since 1977.

• Like 1