speaker cables stranded vs solid

dnanstad

6 minutes ago, Coytee said:

DAMMIT....  so the 5 rolls of 12-2 w/g Romex that I've stripped and have been weaving the individual wires into a "stranded" wire might not work the best...

Back to the drawing board.

Hey, 12 gauge is fine, in my opinion.  That’s the minimum size I use in my home.

55 minutes ago, Islander said:

Hey, 12 gauge is fine, in my opinion.  That’s the minimum size I use in my home.

Larger diameter won't hurt anything, except for being a pain in the posterior to work with, and potentially an eyesore. But for tweeters, larger than about 16 ga. it doesn't help, either.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:01 PM, Edgar said:

Larger diameter won't hurt anything, except for being a pain in the posterior to work with, and potentially an eyesore. But for tweeters, larger than about 16 ga. it doesn't help, either.

Okay, you’re not mocking me, so that’s good.  These particular tweeters are each driven by 500 watts, so maybe big cable makes sense in this particular application.  The damping factor is a real thing, too, especially for woofers.

Karma Kables are surprisingly easy to work with.  They’re very flexible, and you can cut right through them with a small knife, working gently.  The Smoke & Silver colour scheme is not hard on my eyes, at least.

A tip:  automotive split wire loom comes in many sizes and colours.  You’ll see some of the loom tubing in the engine bay of your car, holding groups of wires together and keeping them out of trouble.  It even protects the top radiator hose in my van.  In my case, white 1/2” was perfect to let me run the cables to the surround speakers along the baseboard very inconspicuously.  It’s split, so it’s easy to put it over the wires at any point.  I also use it behind the system, where cables or interconnects run between sections and aren’t long enough to run along the floor.  The thin white tubing is less noticeable against the off-white wall than black wires.

7 minutes ago, Islander said:

Okay, you’re not mocking me, so that’s good.

No, I'm definitely not knocking you. This is a hobby of excess, or at least it will be if you let it. Some of the excess is amusing, some is superstitious, some is even contrary to the laws of physics. But it's all about the enjoyment. If it makes you happy, then I'm not going to stop you or anybody else. There is not enough joy in the world as it is, especially now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Edgar said:

No, I'm definitely not knocking you. This is a hobby of excess, or at least it will be if you let it. Some of the excess is amusing, some is superstitious, some is even contrary to the laws of physics. But it's all about the enjoyment. If it makes you happy, then I'm not going to stop you or anybody else. There is not enough joy in the world as it is, especially now.

Agreed.  The hobby can run to excess, especially with the horde of enablers on this forum.  Before I joined, I’d never heard of Bob Crites, or of Jubilees, and so on.  I know my LS IIs look a bit ridiculous with the big 402 horns sitting on top, but they sound great to me, and that’s all that matters.

Also, I’ve learned by hard experience to respect the laws of physics.  Plus, I enjoy learning more about them.

Thanks for the good sentiments.  We need all we can get, today and always.

15 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Those look nice.

I manufacture these cables myself, in  many different variations as Single > Single Wire, Single > Bi-Wire or also as Bi > Bi Wire versions.

17 hours ago, Edgar said:

No, I'm definitely not knocking you.

I'm not knocking or mocking anybody either. And I am certainly not going to tell anyone what they can or cannot hear. At 65 years young and over 40 years enjoying Klipsch speakers I am going to say I can't hear the difference between 14 ga. and 12 ga wire:) Now the difference between KHorns and Jubes, yea I can hear that.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Who has got McIntosh should also invest money for the speaker cables. Made in Germany. If you are interested in these extraordinary Single > BI Wire  loudspeaker cables, please send me a message via this portal. If not, then you have seen them at least on

unreal ,  that's not a cable , it's a work of art --------

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

I manufacture these cables myself, in  many different variations as Single > Single Wire, Single > Bi-Wire or also as Bi > Bi Wire versions.

exceptional quality product   -

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Yada,yada,yada  Impedance mismatch is most audible...HeeHaw WTF you talking about?

Yes LOL

I don't have 11:44 to spend watching the video, but if he's talking about impedance mismatch in cables that are less than 1/10000th of a wavelength long [*], then I'm glad that I didn't. 

[*] Wavelength of 20 kHz in free space is 15 kilometers. In a cable it's a little shorter than that. Characteristic impedance isn't even a consideration until the cable is at least 1/4 wavelength long.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He was talking about impedance matching in general as in components to cables and components to components. Unfortunately in line level signals for audio we are trying deliver maximum voltage to the load not power therefore impedance matching would be counterproductive. Same with amplifiers and speakers, we want maximum power at the load. If we matched the impedance half the power would be left in the amp. But you know all this:)

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 7:43 PM, 000 said:

unreal ,  that's not a cable , it's a work of art --------

Don't you want to be the first American who connects such a speaker cable to his $ 20.000 speakers ? No matter which manufacturer you have speaker cables from, no matter how much they cost. I'll settle for that anytime. I would like to make you a set and only need some information about length, configuration as Single > Single , or Single > Bi , or Bi > Bi Wiring . 

On 5/4/2020 at 5:00 PM, Islander said:

Do any of us have minimum speakers or amplifiers, you, know, the cheapest available?  I didn’t think so.  So why couple them together with the cheapest available cable?

Because that is all that is necessary?

If one looked inside an electronic device, one would find numerous parts that cost 0nly 10-25 cents each. Because that's all that is necessary to do the job. 

• Like 3