Couple of Old Shorthorns

greg928gts

Hi Jim,

Years ago I bought two old Klipsch Shorthorn speakers.  I can't remember if I got them both from one source or two.  Serial number 1030 and 1090.

One of them has the EV 15Wk and the other has a Stephens.  I bought another EV15Wk so they would both have the same woofers.  I was going to re-cap the crossovers and clean up the wiring connections and basically keep them mostly original, but cleaned up and working properly.   I also intended to fix up the issues with the woodwork and cloth and make them into a matched pair. 

I just haven't had time to get to them and it doesn't look like I ever will.  So they need to go to a good home.  It pains me to sell them, but it is time.  I simply cannot put any time into them, and I don't have a place to set them up to listen to them anyway.  

Before I look into finding another home for these, I thought I would check in with you first to get a sense of the historic value of these (not looking for a monetary value).  How rare are these?  What can you tell me about them?  I'm assuming you have other examples already in the museum?  

My sense is that they should be restored and kept as original.  I am going to do my best to make sure that I put them in the hands of someone who will care for them, and not cannibalize them and sell the parts on ebay.  

Thanks for your input.

Greg Roberts

20200426_101356.jpg

20200426_101409.jpg

20200426_101418.jpg

20200426_101449.jpg

20200426_101503.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Greg,

The standard Shorthorn (Model S) started with serial # 501 on Jan. 25, 1956.  No idea why that starting point.  Last one was 1E166 shipped Dec. 13, 1968.  That looks like 666 in total, and a number PWK would have found amusing!

The Shorthorn Model T (for television monitor) was much rarer.  Two "experimental" units in 1955 and 1956, with 46 "regular" units between Nov. 8, 1956 and Aug. 7, 1962.  Total of 48.  

I would agree that cannibalization would be unfortunate!

Jim

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the interesting information.  

They must have been sold as mono speakers to start and then stereo eventually.  It must have been something to be around during the time of that transition.  

I'll do my best to find a good home for them.

Greg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...