Not Klipsch but interesting homemade?

ErnsterO

I found these at a yard sale a few years ago and they've been sitting on my shelf ever since. Everyone on this forum seems so knowledgeable, way more than myself, I was just curious if anybody had any ideas what I should do with them, what I'm actually looking at, and thoughts about the crossover Network? After I brought them home and connected them it was absolutely zero Bass tweeter and mids only. I'm assuming they're part of a larger system that may have had separate base cabinets? Any case I actually used one of the mids to replace a mid that had gone out on a vintage VanDerSteen II. They looked identical and actually sounded really good after being replaced. I later sourced another Vandersteen Mid but subsequently sold the set with the replacement mid still inside so I'm missing one of the mids to these cabinets. I was thinking of possibly swapping out the mids and putting actual midbass drivers and having some nice monitor speakers? Any ideas on a simple crossover to replace what's inside or what I would need to do possibly to accomplish this? Thanks for any and all response.

Unknown Speakers, Any Ideas https://imgur.com/gallery/mOVTakp

• Like 1

Both Peerless drivers. The tweeter is a classic used in many speakers in the late 70s early 80s like the Polk 10 and many european speakers. The 2" mid dome. There are 2 are 2 way speakers using that tweeter, the problem  is then sourcing bass/mid drivers rougly 40 years old to go with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of unmarked speakers that have very similar looking cabinets but they have a Brazilian soft dome tweeter and a 5.25” woofer with a passive radiator on the back. I had the laying around for years before I finally tools closer look at them and made new grills and made a new radiator.

They have a crossover that looks like it could be either a simple factory or a home made that was well done as far as how it looks, covered with glue. They are decent sounding but are not good with any real power, maybe 25w, with minimal bass expectations.

They are nothing compared to a set of Infinity RS125 that I paid $10 and refoamed in 10 minutes with $1 foam pieces I had laying around. I bought a ton of foam last year from Amazon before the seller's all jacked up their prices.

I also have a set of obviously home made small sized speakers with Peerless drivers and huge crossovers Iike these, 2 ways but have Peerless k 4 inch woofers and paper tweeters.

I would take a look for a set of good speakers that have bad tweeters and make new cabinet based on the woofers needs and see how they sound when the woofer is allowed to run up till natural roll off, you can always limit it if needed, you could try any woofer that's 8” or larger since you have a mid driver, I would consider a decent paper 10”. I have a few that came out of organs that are surprisingly well made, even an old zenith allegro 10” driver might work out nicely. They made a good woofer but not much else, can be found for cheap.

Most people who are trying to sell organs will simply give them away if you come and pick them up. I had 4 lined up to pick up for free within 5 miles of my home, took 1 day to locate and set up pick up times. Retrieving the drivers is easy, getting the rest of the organ in the dumpster usually takes some time to tear into smaller pieces. They tend to use the same speakers in a bunch of different manufacturers organs, CTS were popular (alnico magnets) you'll find (paper cones) 12” drivers or 2x12” in many organs with an 8 or 10 on the spinner, all are excellent quality drivers. Although many tend to think that those drivers are more for guitar amps, there are more that are designed closer to home speakers than not. Example is the old Omega brand speakers (I believe they were made by DLK) that used CTS 12” woofers, exact same as used in many organs in the late 60s and throughouth the 70s.

You might even get lucky and find some high $ speakers that were part of some of the best organ systems that have separate speaker boxes using 4x 12 or even 15'” or 18” woofers. Plus there  will always be drivers inside the organs as well. You'll find the top brands like Hammond are harder to find for free, but they're out there, just have to keep an eye on ads and after 6 months to a year without any sales is a good time to offer free disposal.

Another source I have found is console stereos, some used higher quality wave guide horn tweeters and 12” or 15” woofers, finding broken units with frozen turntables and wont turn on can result in free pick up as well. Not everything needs to be bought new when there's so much all around you that's being tossed in the garbage out of convenience. 

Edited by ZINDA89