Phono stage minimum input voltage - Marantz 7 Preamp

bharat

I'm having a tough time determining what would be an ideal minimum input voltage into the phono stage of the Marantz 7 preamp. I have heard from others that modern cartridges don't produce enough voltage (<5mV typically) to sound great with the phono stage of this preamp. Others have said to me one needs to use cartridges with output voltages around 9.5mV or greater. Next week I'm going to test the system out with an Ortofon 2M Blue cart (5mV) and I guess I will go from there. Trying to find some actual specifications or data that may provide some more clear direction to me regarding the ideal input requirements for phono stage of the Marantz 7. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bharat 

As these are RIA Standards with more than 3 mV High Output Level and 47 KOhm it should not be a problem to use your Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge with 5 mV. Soundsmith produces Cardridges with 3,3 mV , but I think they are over budget ....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Thank you MicroMara for the details! While I do not know German, I can piece together the info based on the numbers! Yes, I have the 7 - vacuum tube version. What about Shure V15VxMR cartridge? Seems like it wouldn't be expensive like Soundsmith. From what I can gather this is 3.3mV also. 

As these are RIA Standards with more than 3 mV High Output Level and 47 KOhm it should not be a problem to use your Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge with 5 mV. Soundsmith produces Cardridges with 3,3 mV , but I think they are over budget ....

• 2 weeks later...