Cornwall IV vs. CornScala Type D

Anyone have the opportunity to A/B a Cornwall IV vs. a CornScala?  My interest lies in the 2 way D model, but any version would be appreciated.  The CornScala would be a great quarantine project and quite a savings if  similar attributes.  I know to a certain degree I am comparing apples to oranges with the Type D being a 2 way design.

Regards,

John

It's a question of wanting to build and finish (especially important) cabinets or buy nicely finished cabinets that you can enjoy right away. I had Cornwall III for several years and enjoyed them but I didn't like the smaller Heresy horn so I went to the CornScala D and enjoyed the horn much more but they were a little too large for my room. I now have the Forte III with two SVS subs and they fit my room much better. I understand that the Cornwall IV has received good reviews but I haven't heard them. The new Forte may be an option to consider also. Hope this helps a little?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am still interested in the question from the OP!  I have a pair of Cornscala Ds...but want them nicely veneered/etc - and am thinking about placing them differently in the room - and I wonder if just stepping up to the Cornwall IVs would be better...

Anybody who’s heard and/or lived with both?

I had the "C" version with ALK xovers a few years ago and they were a lot of fun. Ultimately though it was the cabinets that were their undoing for me. They could sometimes sound boxy and at other times the cabinet would resonate with strong midbass material. I sold them and moved on, many different speakers since then, so I won't go into detail there. 

But now I have the Cornwall IV and they are a much different animal. Zero cabinet resonance and much better detail and refinement over the cornscala. I say if you can, go with the IV.

Shakey

• Like 5

You're making too big of deal out of this, I no longer have my Cornscalas, but resonance issues were easily fixed with 4 lengths of 1 3/8" dowel rod to better couple the front and rear panel together. I used glue and clamps to attach them to the front panel and flush mounted bolts to attach to the rear. 

42 minutes ago, dmckean44 said:

You're making too big of deal out of this, I no longer have my Cornscalas, but resonance issues were easily fixed with 4 lengths of 1 3/8" dowel rod to better couple the front and rear panel together. I used glue and clamps to attach them to the front panel and flush mounted bolts to attach to the rear. 

A big deal?

Seriously..........?

Neither you or your now departed speakers are a blip on my radar.........

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

On 9/13/2020 at 3:24 PM, dmckean44 said:

Any reason you got rid of them? Andif you don't mind  I'm just curious what you replaced them with. Looking to upgrade my KG4s. 30 wpc EL34 Tube Amp. About 8 foot listening distance max. Thanks 

Edited by Kg4Vtg

I can feel resonance in the cabinet sides, tops and horn of my Cornscalas.  I am not much of a DIY guy.  I have heard everything from bracing to wrapping the mid horn with dynamat, sticking a pillow in the cabinet, filling the cabinet with fiber, to not messing with the design.  Therefore, I have remained chicken to change them.  I think they sound pretty darn good but haven't had a lot to compare to.

Edited by DALEDEEE

7 hours ago, DALEDEEE said:

I can feel resonance in the cabinet sides, tops and horn of my Cornscalas.  I am not much of a DIY guy.  I have heard everything from bracing to wrapping the mid horn with dynamat, sticking a pillow in the cabinet, filling the cabinet with fiber, to not messing with the design.  Therefore, I have remained chicken to change them.  I think they sound pretty darn good but haven't had a lot to compare to.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about what you can feel on the cabinet. If you don’t hear any issues with music I’d say you are fine.

Shakey

• Like 3

I agree. Are you sure you are not just feeling vibrations rather than resonances? I have not seen any powerful bass speaker that one cannot feel vibrations on the cabinets no matter how they are braced. I am sure there are some concrete cabinets that have no vibrations. I built my sub, and believe me it is heavily braced, with a powerful speaker and 1,000 watt amplifier and the way I tell it is on and working  is to touch the cabinet to see if I can fell any vibrations. If I have it too loud I can just touch the walls to feel for vibrations. Unless you can hear it, resonances, I say forget about it. 

On 12/17/2020 at 8:00 AM, Kg4Vtg said:

Any reason you got rid of them? Andif you don't mind  I'm just curious what you replaced them with. Looking to upgrade my KG4s. 30 wpc EL34 Tube Amp. About 8 foot listening distance max. Thanks 

I got rid of them because I heard a pair of KI-396 and was really impressed, even though they lacked a little on the low end compared to the Cornscalas. I eventually replaced the KI-396s with KPT-904s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

I feel very, very little vibration from the MWM cabiets when I have some vreat bass tunes playing. Claude used to have MWM singles (IIRC). Perhaps he remembers... @ClaudeJ1

I sold my prized Khorns to get 4 of those. After talking to Gary Gillum, I realized after measuring I only needed 2. Best friend/speaker builder says it's the best I ever had in that basement setup. I had subs with those since they ran out of gas at 45 Hz. I was good to 17 H. with twin Large VMPS BR Subs until my daughters cat used them to pee on. The destruction on, plastic glues,  steel and copper from cat urine is not to be believed. I let the cat live since it was my youngest daughter's cat.............long story. Had to throw out the subs, boxes and all, let's just say it was a few kilobucks worth when new, but lucky I didn't pay that when bought used.