HK 430 Toledo OH $100

Woofers and Tweeters

Other than demonstrating an inability to spell “Harman” correctly, the seller tells us nothing about the unit.  As to the merits of the 430, they are excellent.  Some prefer it to its x30 siblings.  I’ve had each of them at one time or another, and each is excellent with plenty of power for efficient Klipsch speakers.  At “$100 obo” it seems to be a bargain, even if you spent twice that to have it professionally restored.  

What do you say Andy @HDBRbuilder and Bruce @Marvel?

64FC2402-CFB5-469B-B1BB-5171CAEF482E.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Other than demonstrating an inability to spell “Harman” correctly, the seller tells us nothing about the unit.  As to the merits of the 430, they are excellent.  Some prefer it to its x30 siblings.  I’ve had each of them at one time or another, and each is excellent with plenty of power for efficient Klipsch speakers.  At “$100 obo” it seems to be a bargain, even if you spent twice that to have it professionally restored.  

I wasn't looking for a Harman Kardon when that one popped up. As we know, misspelling Klipsch on a search can have good results. I have the 730 and have had a 330. The $100 obo is a great buy, if it works, and that's why I posted it. If it were closer, I would own it. One does need to look at where it's living. 

hk430.jpg.1feb94f83b376e9c8f9a4ef54784fec0.jpg

• Thanks 1

People from “Toleto” are known to be less tidy than their counterparts from Toledo.  You know, just like the slobs from Lecksington who besmirch the image of Lexington.

Just imagine if the seller weren’t trying to show the receiver in its best possible light.

• Haha 1

W & T,

I’m surprised Otto korekt didn’t prevent your “Toleto” typo in the subject line.  It kept trying to correct my deliberate misspelling.  

The seller appears to be a fan of the Detroit Lions and the Detroit Tigers, we know he/she is delusional.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

People from “Toleto” are known to be less tidy than their counterparts from Toledo.  You know, just like the slobs from Lecksington who besmirch the image of Lexington.

Just imagine if the seller weren’t trying to show the receiver in its best possible light.

Yeah, it's similar to someone asking a question and ending it with a period. Ex: "Is that a MENSA shirt." Then there are the cool kids who don't hold a magnifying glass on it.  

Good morning Mr. Kettle. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I must have some capacitors that need replaced.

Is “need replaced” a regional construction?    Apparently, “to be” is understood.  North of the Mason-Dixon Line it would be phrased, “ . . . that need [to be] replaced.”

When I lived and worked in Terre Haute, IN for a decade one summer, I noticed that everywhere, in speech, in the newspapers, on radio, and in TV ads.  “Does your muffler need replaced?  Get on over to MIDAS.”

That’s the beauty of language, it evolves. Sometimes on accident, I mean by accident.  Don’t want to be mistaken for a Millennial.

13 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

regional construction?

I am happy to see that you have found the question mark key. I have often wondered about colloquialisms and how regions play a part with them. It's similar to some regions have more people who show their a$$es more than other areas. Proper etiquette doesn't have a lot of value in some areas, such as forums. Songs are loaded with grammar mistakes. I wonder how many people looked down their noses at "You've got mail"? There are monstrosities everywhere and we all have them.  I am not sure were it starts or ends. When I heard a calculus professor say 'heighth' and to hear others say 'warsh', rather than wash, it does stand out. 

Ending a sentence with a preposition.

A snobbish English teacher was sitting in an Atlanta airport coffee shop waiting for her flight back to Birmingham MI, when a friendly Southern Belle sat down next to him.

"Where are you goin' to?" asked the Southern Belle.

Turning his nose in the air, the snob replied "I don't answer people who end their sentences with prepositions."

The Southern Belle thought a moment, and tried again.

"Where are you goin' to, *****?"

Now, are you going to buy the HK? 

Might need replacing....

The H/K430 is a very nice receiver for the money, and even better for the $100 obo. The larger cousin you sent me is even better, although the tuner section plays in mono. The line inputs and everything else about it is wonderful. Certainly works well playing the old JBL 4311s, as they are from that same place in time.

Any of the series are great units.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Over the years I have owned examples of each of the Harman Kardon Twin Power 930, 730, 630 and 430 receivers. I found out about this series here, thanks to HDBR's extensive posts on the topic. The 430 (like the other three models) is a great match for Klipsch because that first watt is just as clean as the ones that follow when you crank up the volume. Part of the design is a really robust power supply, as all four models have a separate power supply for each channel.

All you have to do is lift one of these receivers to know it is a serious piece of equipment. As has been pointed out, the differences in wattage between the models is not that dramatic at moderate volume levels. The thing you would probably notice most is that the tuners improve as you go up the line.

What is worth clarifying is that although the Harman Kardon 330 is cosmetically similar, it does not have a twin power supply, so it is not really part of this series. The 330 is still a nice entry-level receiver, but not worth tracking down like the twin power units. HK also made some solid-state integrated amps with twin power supplies around this time, but they must have sold in much smaller quantities because they don't seem to come up for sale as often. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, triceratops said:

What is worth clarifying is that although the Harman Kardon 330 is cosmetically similar, it does not have a twin power supply, so it is not really part of this series. The 330 is still a nice entry-level receiver, but not worth tracking down like the twin power units.

I agree with what you're saying, but a lot of people really like the 330. I had the 330b. It seems that the 330c has something that sounds better than the 330 a, b, or i models. 

Harmon Kardon 330C WOW!!!

Harman Kardon 330c - what vintage?

9 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I wasn't looking for a Harman Kardon when that one popped up. As we know, misspelling Klipsch on a search can have good results. I have the 730 and have had a 330. The $100 obo is a great buy, if it works, and that's why I posted it. If it were closer, I would own it. One does need to look at where it's living. 

hk430.jpg.1feb94f83b376e9c8f9a4ef54784fec0.jpg

Most underrated comment there. I can deal with a little dirt for a deal. That looks like a pack of cigarettes and ashes. I bought an amp like that from a guy that smoked heavily inside the house. (Didn’t know when I bought it). Opened it up, cleaned it all up, nothing helped. For weeks my whole place wreaked like old cigarettes. I left it in the laundry room until I found a buyer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W27 said:

Most underrated comment there. I can deal with a little dirt for a deal. That looks like a pack of cigarettes and ashes. I bought an amp like that from a guy that smoked heavily inside the house. (Didn’t know when I bought it). Opened it up, cleaned it all up, nothing helped. For weeks my whole place wreaked like old cigarettes. I left it in the laundry room until I found a buyer. 

My Yamaha CR2040 smelled like smoke when I first got it. 

On 4/27/2020 at 12:35 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I agree with what you're saying, but a lot of people really like the 330. I had the 330b. It seems that the 330c has something that sounds better than the 330 a, b, or i models. 

Harmon Kardon 330C WOW!!!

Harman Kardon 330c - what vintage?

Well stated, W&T. I will revisit the 330C when I get a chance.

Going back to W&T's photo highlight above, it looks like the left positive terminal for speaker 1 is toast. I've seen those red terminals break down more than the black ones, maybe more vulnerable to sun damage?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 5:24 PM, Rivernuggets said:

The 730 and 930 also feature more analog inputs. I have the 430 and 730, love the sound of them!

Very true! I don't even use the FM section of receivers (I prefer Sonos for radio), but it sure is cool having extra inputs, like hook-ups for two turntables.

• Like 1