Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

Well since the covid19 thread got whacked we need a new one to cover covid19. 

Came across this Hemolung device today and it is new to me. Thought I’d share. So when the lungs simply cannot function or need to be bypassed medicine has cardiopulmonary bypass machines. For short term needs there’s the standard version. These are used during surgeries usually for heart reconstruction procedures. For longer term applications there’s ECMO. ECMO replaces lung function entirely providing CO2 removal and oxygenation and can be used for weeks if needed. ECMO has been used often on covid19 patients whose lungs are too compromised to function even on mechanical ventilation. They still ventilate the lungs for patients on ECMO so they can be treated and hopefully healed so that ECMO can be removed.

Now we have Hemolung and it is an odd duck. Like ECMO it requires vascular access via catheters. But ECMO manages both oxygenation and CO2 removal whilst Hemolung manages only CO2 removal. It does not add oxygen to the blood. It fits neatly into a bridge niche for patients headed into respiratory failure but who are not hypoxic. Hemolung is not as hard on the body as ECMO and if you can get it in play at just the right time you can keep patients from being intubated and placed on mechanical ventilation. Hemolung is a ventilation stop-gap intervention.

Physiologically it is bit of a head scratcher because CO2 is easily diffused (way more so than O2) and the body has lots of buffer storage to deal with excess CO2. But (and here’s the $ shot) you can supplement a lot of oxygen but cannot easily devise any negative gas gradients for CO2. All you can do is breathe deeper/faster to clear more CO2.........   until now. Now we have Hemolung. So if you get in between a rock and a hard spot with just ventilation and have more oxygenation ‘head room’ Hemolung will give you accommodation. It will augment your ventilation while you manage your own oxygenation (well you and umpteen clinical personnel).

Pretty neat stuff huh?

• Sad 1

A little surprised to open the Klipsch Forum News and see the virus collapsed on itself. Vaccinated right before my eyes. Seemed nearly half the 244 pages were of a political nature, and many my moderators. Last few comments weren’t much different than 5, 10, 20 pages prior. Oh well, Rona moves with or without the Forum. 

Now on another virus related development - even here in the Midwest, meat and grain capital of the country, seems meat shortages are slowly beginning. Costco today no fresh ground beef, no pork of any kind, no whole chicken, limits of one on several fish type products but had whole briskets, bought 2x twenty pounders and pieced them out. 
And another shortage - freezers. We have a smaller one that will soon be full so I thought another might be in order. Went to Lowe’s and HD. Lowe’s has been out for weeks and none in sight until late June. Ordered one from Menards for mid May. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richieb said:

Now on another virus related development - even here in the Midwest, meat and grain capital of the country, seems meat shortages are slowly beginning. Costco today no fresh ground beef, no pork of any kind, no whole chicken, limits of one on several fish type products but had whole briskets, bought 2x twenty pounders and pieced them out. 
And another shortage - freezers. We have a smaller one that will soon be full so I thought another might be in order. Went to Lowe’s and HD. Lowe’s has been out for weeks and none in sight until late June. Ordered one from Menards for mid May. 

I have mentioned that several times in the other thread. I bought a tiller for the tractor and have used it a few times. I think Lowes said they can get freezers by mid summer. Wonder how many freezers are coming from China. 

10 hours ago, richieb said:

A little surprised to open the Klipsch Forum News and see the virus collapsed on itself. Vaccinated right before my eyes. Seemed nearly half the 244 pages were of a political nature, and many my moderators. Last few comments weren’t much different than 5, 10, 20 pages prior. Oh well, Rona moves with or without the Forum. 

I tried to buy a new freezer also because mine is 24 years old.  The appliance dealer I’ve known for 40 years, who belongs to an east coast buyers group, said that freezers are totally nonexistent and that some may start trickling in by summer.  

As to the food shortage, I ask that everyone read this paper and draw your own conclusions (it will take 10 minutes).

https://academic.oup.com/jicj/article/17/4/699/5721410

Please, make any comments general and stay away from politics.  What I want to know is what is being done with the millions of chickens, pigs and cows which are being “depopulated”?  It is beyond my comprehension that food is being thrown away at a time when there isn’t enough to go around.  

Maynard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A very interesting article in Scientific American. An emergency room doc was considering the death rates for covid19 as compared to the annual influenza deaths. He started wondering where ‘all’ these flu deaths were? Obviously we see covid19 deaths galore. They are documented, seen and unfortunately very real. But he had never experienced flu deaths in numbers anywhere near the volume reported by the CDC. So he investigated. It turns out that annual flu statistics reported by the CDC are estimates, not real hard numbers. In actuality the true number of flu deaths on death certificates is much, much lower ranging from 3,500 to 15,500 per year. The CDC extrapolates their statistics based on formulas. So when we attempt to compare covid19 data to flu data we are comparing apples to oranges. Covid19 cases and deaths are actual hard numbers while the flu cases and deaths are derived values.

The other side of this coin is that science is working to find the same statistical formulas for covid19. We know the hard patient data for covid19 but do not yet know how that translates into the unseen data. We have seen reports of some of this research.........   those trying to learn the numbers of infected as opposed to the numbers tested positive. But as yet we do not have that information clear.

So - for the time being when attempts are made to compare covid19 to the flu use the flu data that compares........   it is not a 65,000 influenza death rate. That is a derived value. The actual top end reported death rate for the flu is 15,500 for one season. For covid19 this number is 55,000 in 7 weeks. That is pretty stark and sobering.

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Lowes here has plenty in stock.

I read about shortages and crowds of frenzied shoppers but have seen nothing like that around here. There are a few odd empty spots but very few. Hamburger is somewhat scarce. Bottled water never ran out and has gone from 1 case limit to 5 case limit. Ha Ha and Costco has a sign up now stating no returns on TP, rice or water.

• Moderators
A very interesting article in Scientific American. An emergency room doc was considering the death rates for covid19 as compared to the annual influenza deaths. He started wondering where ‘all’ these flu deaths were? Obviously we see covid19 deaths galore. They are documented, seen and unfortunately very real. But he had never experienced flu deaths in numbers anywhere near the volume reported by the CDC. So he investigated. It turns out that annual flu statistics reported by the CDC are estimates, not real hard numbers. In actuality the true number of flu deaths on death certificates is much, much lower ranging from 3,500 to 15,500 per year. The CDC extrapolates their statistics based on formulas. So when we attempt to compare covid19 data to flu data we are comparing apples to oranges. Covid19 cases and deaths are actual hard numbers while the flu cases and deaths are derived values.

The other side of this coin is that science is working to find the same statistical formulas for covid19. We know the hard patient data for covid19 but do not yet know how that translates into the unseen data. We have seen reports of some of this research.........   those trying to learn the numbers of infected as opposed to the numbers tested positive. But as yet we do not have that information clear.

So - for the time being when attempts are made to compare covid19 to the flu use the flu data that compares........   it is not a 65,000 influenza death rate. That is a derived value. The actual top end reported death rate for the flu is 15,500 for one season. For covid19 this number is 55,000 in 7 weeks. That is pretty stark and sobering.

While I appreciate your continued posts and contributions in the CV19 issues I respectfully submit the following. Almost all deaths are being classified as CV19 at this time.

I am in the “vulnerable group”. Our family has undertaken extreme measures to keep me safe during this time.

That being said if I fall victim to CV19 it is highly possible my death would be categorized “CV19”. Rightfully so.

I’m not going to die any time soon from COPD (brought on by exposure to mold and mildew post Katrina). However, the probability that if I contract CV19 I will die is pretty high. In my opinion, my cause of death (if that happens) is CV19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I tried to buy a new freezer also because mine is 24 years old.  The appliance dealer I’ve known for 40 years, who belongs to an east coast buyers group, said that freezers are totally nonexistent and that some may start trickling in by summer.  

As to the food shortage, I ask that everyone read this paper and draw your own conclusions (it will take 10 minutes).

https://academic.oup.com/jicj/article/17/4/699/5721410

Please, make any comments general and stay away from politics.  What I want to know is what is being done with the millions of chickens, pigs and cows which are being “depopulated”?  It is beyond my comprehension that food is being thrown away at a time when there isn’t enough to go around.  

Maynard

Stark reality? Starvation has long been used as a weapon against humanity.

As some of you know I’m very good friends with a chicken grower in AR. He has six chicken houses and a contract with Tyson to grow. I spoke to him yesterday. He said the normal turnaround after chickens leave his farm is 17-22 days. During that time they clean and disinfect the chicken houses to prepare for the next delivery of chicks. He was advised a couple of days ago that his next delivery would be 22-25 days. Interestingly enough he also said that under the terms of his contract with Tyson he will get paid whether or not he “grows” the chickens. Meaning, if they don’t deliver the chicks to him, he still gets paid.

One other note of interest is that Tyson supplies all the chicks, as well as all the feed for the chickens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

While I appreciate your continued posts and contributions in the CV19 issues I respectfully submit the following. Almost all deaths are being classified as CV19 at this time.

I am in the “vulnerable group”. Our family has undertaken extreme measures to keep me safe during this time.

That being said if I fall victim to CV19 it is highly possible my death would be categorized “CV19”. Rightfully so.

I’m not going to die any time soon from COPD (brought on by exposure to mold and mildew post Katrina). However, the probability that if I contract CV19 I will die is pretty high. In my opinion, my cause of death (if that happens) is CV19.

Tried to verify your statement that ‘almost all deaths are being classified as covid19 at this time’ and can’t. From what I can determine the actual number of deaths from covid19 may be getting under reported. They are doing their best to get uniform reporting of covid19 fatalities so that they can gauge the effectiveness of the preventive measures and the status of the pandemic. 

At any rate I am unsure of your problem with my post as it was referring to deaths reported to be from the flu not so much from covid19. I’ll restate that here. The CDC statistics most people use for the influenza are calculated and not confirmed. The actual number of flu deaths is far less than those calculated values. So if we’re to compare covid19 deaths to flu deaths we should compare actual deaths to actual deaths from each disease. I guess you’re inferring that covid19 deaths are inflated (?). I can’t find this. 

We agree (I think) that the death of someone who tested positive for covid19 should be listed as a covid19 fatality regardless of their underlying health status. We agree (I think) that there are many chronic health conditions that may be serious but are stable, well managed with medications, etc. And while these pre-existing conditions do make people more vulnerable to catching and/or surviving a covid19 infection they’d still be alive if not for covid19. Do we agree on these things?

If you have a source for more accurate information please share it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

We agree (I think) that the death of someone who tested positive for covid19 should be listed as a covid19 fatality regardless of their underlying health status

Not trying to speak for her but this may be the crux of her issue.

• dtel locked this topic