Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

1 minute ago, Deang said:

Now that they have everyone somewhat trained, they will slowly lift restrictions and hope for the best. 

I see people all of the time who act like nothing is going on. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny. So yeah, if people don't stay with the SD, masks, and hygiene -- people will starting dropping like flies.

Im with you there Dean.  I find it showing respect of the unknowns and the lives of others by wearing a mask.  Some will be defiant and that is ok. The fringe is always on both sides of the table. But you have to admit, we have to put a cork in the leak at the other end of the damaged ship now.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Younger than The Declaration of Independence - you know, back when people kept quiet.

I can remember back in the 70's when it was somewhat rude to ask of others political affiliation or to even express yours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Younger than The Declaration of Independence - you know, back when people kept quiet.

No, never been muzzled or brow beat and never will be.

Well, except by moderator of course!

Edited by billybob
Incomplete
  • Like 1

Just now, Max2 said:

But you have to admit, we have to put a cork in the leak at the other end of the damaged ship now.

Why does he have to admit that?  Some people can handle the shut-down quite easily.  Some people can't.  Whose fault is that?  Just like many don't want to bail out states which spent lavishly and carried too much debt, the same applies to ordinary Americans.  Workers and employers who never saved now need to take health risks more than those who did.  

9 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Why does he have to admit that?  Some people can handle the shut-down quite easily.  Some people can't.  Whose fault is that?  Just like many don't want to bail out states which spent lavishly and carried too much debt, the same applies to ordinary Americans.  Workers and employers who never saved now need to take health risks more than those who did.  

I think he's also referring to reducing transmission to people that are old or immunocompromised regardless of their financial status.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's still that way in China.

Yes it is and its why you are able to add to your shutdown fund cushion reaping many years of buying extremely cheap goods from the hard working slaves that live there. 

5 minutes ago, BassMaykr said:
12 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I think he's also referring to reducing transmission to people that are old or immunocompromised regardless of their financial status.

And I thought he was making a counter-argument to the claim people need to get back to work right away so they can make a living.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

And I thought he was making a counter-argument to the claim people need to get back to work right away so they can make a living.

Personally, I just wonder how the economy & peoples' abilities to make a living will be impacted if people return to work too quickly, without testing, and there is a catastrophic national increase in case fatalities.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's still that way in China.

No, in China it is dangerous to  express other than a single acceptable political position...like it is here...except there only one position allowed and we are arrayed against each other in two colors that hate each other. Most civilized democracies are not this way. Most everyone supported FDR  in this country and Winston Churchill in Great Britain during the war regardless of their vote before and after. In Churchill's case, he was voted out of office but still honored as the hero of the war. That's fine and appropriate. There, folks are loyal to country first and to a party second, way second.

As Max2 says, discussing religion or politics in polite company was rude the first part of my life. Whole point of the secret ballot. Politics OR religion then COULD be discussed if a person expressed concern about such things to another...but only then. Not even the most determined opponent of a President would express disrespect except before an election or after. Most all were the "loyal opposition." It is about the office, not the person who occupies it. 

Dave

Some states need to move slower than others.

Just because you go back to work doesn't mean you shouldn't be staying at home as much as possible. Moving slow, like most states are doing is obviously a real good idea. We'll know by the beginning the June what we have.

People, we're still averaging 25,000 new cases a day.

• Like 1

People as individuals have the right to protect themselves from any threat be it real or imagined. 

However nowhere in the Constitution can I be compelled to protect you from your imagination. 

• Like 2

• dtel locked this topic