Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

On 5/3/2020 at 7:40 PM, Dave A said:

I have heard stories of Christians hiding even their shoes from the front step so officials would not see evidence of gatherings. People would trickle in so they would not be spotted. Today they are tearing down churches again or telling them what flavor they can believe in. They are an oppressed society.

Uyghur people are enslaved in an estimated 1.0 million.

Slavery in China is direct and indirect.

2 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

380,000 China Communist Party students attend USA universities.

same thing in Canada and all over the world ------- kids of poor families can't get an education in their own countries -

Just now, 000 said:

same thing in Canada and all over the world ------- kids of poor families can't get an education in their own countries -

Exactly. In Michigan the students I have observed in the past 5 to 7 years drive Mercedes, Audi, Mustang GT, Camaro and Tesla.

I drove a 72 Plymouth Scamp.

50 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

There is something on the horizon.  Something is happening, I fear.

I thought we had gotten past the TP shortage, a few weeks ago there was plenty at Sams Club, a sure sign the country is about to re-open.  I show up there tonight for a rotisserie chicken and the TP is ALL gone, along with facial tissues and paper towels.  😨

Next is Walmart.  Plenty of fruit and veggies but there is practically no meats.  Canned fruit, all gone.  My beloved Jif (low fat) hasn't been there for weeks.

Is this the harbinger of Phase II? 

I am not surprised , we're all staying home in isolation , so TP usage is UP

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

Exactly. In Michigan the students I have observed in the past 5 to 7 years drive Mercedes, Audi, Mustang GT, Camaro and Tesla.

I drove a 72 Plymouth Scamp.

the cars are only the tip of the iceberg , add private condos , vacations ----tons of spending money , they are not studying , they are partying

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Deang said:

The idea that some low level worker stumbled down to the market with a bat doesn't work. No one is getting out with anything at a BSL-4 lab. 

Just throwing in some levity... there's so much BS being tossed out, we really could use some more.

But you bring up a good point. You don't get a BSL-4 lab in any country by being sloppy. People are acting like these labs are backwoods operations, but they aren't

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

My beloved Jif (low fat) hasn't been there for weeks.

Dave ... you want to me look around these parts for your beloved Jif?

Have you tried various websites to see if you can have it shipped to you?  My brother did that with some protein drinks when the store was out and got some delivered. 

On 5/3/2020 at 1:24 AM, dwilawyer said:

Nice pivot. You did mention the previous administration by name. Even a blind pig knows the party affiliation of the prior administration as they do the current one.

To answer you question, we were not funding research there, we were funding research in the US relying on data collection in China. A portion of the grant was sent to a scientist in China to continue collecting data in China from bats, from people near the bat caves (for antibodies), and in that lab. 

More funding for another study involving that facility happened in 2017 on a different project. I can't find the status on that grant yet. The 2014 bat study was in fact extended in 2019, thanks for clarifying. 

I'm trying to understand the link you are suggesting between the Did either study, funded by NIH to a nonprofit in New York which has been receiving grants to study virus outbreaks from.animals.to.jumans for over twenty years. Did tjhis cause the outbreak?

If people are interested in the scientific implications of pulling that grant for dealing with with the current pandemic,  AND.to be prepared for future potential outbreaks, here is a pretty good overview of what virologists in US think:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/nih-s-axing-bat-coronavirus-grant-horrible-precedent-and-might-break-rules-critics-say#

“The reason our grant was renewed for 5 years is because our work is so important in helping prevent pandemics,” Daszak says. In its first 5 years, the grant produced a score of papers and advances, including genetic sequences of two bat coronaviruses that have now been used as lab tools to test the antiviral drug remdesivir, which has shown some promise as a treatment for COVID-19.

“I am shocked by this,” says Mark Denison, a Vanderbilt University virologist who launched the lab studies that led to remdesivir’s deployment in the current pandemic. “There is no more important research than what EcoHealth Alliance is doing. Our work on Remdesivir absolutely would not have moved forward without it.”

Here is the grant funding information:

https://taggs.hhs.gov/Detail/AwardDetail?arg_AwardNum=R01AI110964&arg_ProgOfficeCode=104

Gain of function studies and creeping around in bat caves and other remote environments as a virus hunter I find to be ethically bizarre. Playing god with DNA I infer creates catastrophic unintended consequences. Humans doing stupid stuff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 000 said:

terrible article ---but , I figured it was worthy to add as a database -----of facts -

It is not unhelpful at all. Builds a folder of data to arrive at their

Conclusion is the part I read

from this paper. Worth it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Deang said:

No one is getting out with anything at a BSL-4 lab. 

And you know this how? China has refused any access to this facility and it employees since before covid19 went global. You have China’s ‘word’ on it and nothing else. Okay, we all understand that covid19 was not manufactured and released. That can be proved. But that is all that can be proven. Covid19 goes into the drains just as easily in China as it does here. But in China they use the drains for ‘food’ preparation. There are many countries looking hard at this lab and believe some accident lead to this mess. Everyone knows China allowed this to become a pandemic through inaction and deceit. But you’d rather believe China over Pompeo. Sleep well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

But you bring up a good point. You don't get a BSL-4 lab in any country by being sloppy.

Then what are the chances that a worker somehow got infected on the job and didn’t report it or nobody said anything until it was too late?  I don’t know protocols at these labs, but i know that everywhere that i’ve worked, people have screwed up and remained silent (or as long as they could have).

When i worked at a County government agency, having a chat with out executive director and she mentioned that she gets upset when she isn’t notified of a problem when it first happens, they wait until it’s out of control before anyone tells her about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Then what are the chances that a worker somehow got infected on the job and didn’t report it or nobody said anything until it was too late?  I don’t know protocols at these labs, but i know that everywhere that i’ve worked, people have screwed up and remained silent (or as long as they could have).

When i worked at a County government agency, having a chat with out executive director and she mentioned that she gets upset when she isn’t notified of a problem when it first happens, they wait until it’s out of control before anyone tells her about it. 

there was an article in February about 1  WUHAN lab staff selling lab animals at the wet market -------and the theory back then was that the infected animal was purchased and then caused patient 0  -----which then caused the outbreak --------fact or reality , we will never know

23 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Dave ... you want to me look around these parts for your beloved Jif?

Thanks for the kind offer, but although it's true I can't find the Low Fat version, I just use the regular Jif.  It has higher fat, lower salt, the Low Fat  has lower fat, higher salt.

They get you coming and going. 

• Like 1

I don’t believe any of them. I think they’re all liars. I’ve already agreed that China has lied, but I think it was just CYA. 

Pompeo has been publicly contradicting the ODNI report. He’s been inferring they did it deliberately. 

It’s starting to smell like the same type of BS that was spun to get us into Iraq. Just pure bullshit to advance an agenda. 

What is known 100% for certain is that some people eat strange things, and under the right circumstances, this exact kind of thing can happen. You don’t need the Lab. 

I’ll sleep better when this group of pathological liars get voted out in November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 000 said:

there was an article in February about 1  WUHAN lab staff selling lab animals at the wet market -------and the theory back then was that the infected animal was purchased and then caused patient 0  -----which then caused the outbreak --------fact or reality , we will never know

So some of you think a BSL-4 facility is like Jurassic Park. A little misdirection, grab your specimens, and head off to the market. Lol. Yes, it’s as ridiculous as it sounds. 

33 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

China has refused any access to this facility and it employees since before covid19 went global.

Covid19 goes into the drains just as easily in China as it does here. But in China they use the drains for ‘food’ preparation.

A source for the first statement would be great. I don’t really understand the second statement.

• dtel locked this topic