Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

All he is saying is that the same strain originated in nature and that it was kept in the lab. He does not address which source initiated this pandemic one way or the other...... to him as a medical doctor it does matter. It could’ve started from the lab as far as he cares........ or not.

Not started from the lab, but started in nature, brought to a lab and possibly a market [insert utter speculation] then first case, 2, 4, 8 16 into a sigmoid curve.

Yeah their funny that way, doctors and scientists, insisting on empirical daya and evidence.  

Phrases like "correlation is not causation" spring to mind.

• Like 2

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

I thought I heard the lab worked to increase the efficacy of the virus strains so they could figure out effective treatments (supposedly).  I also thought I heard similar strains, not sure if I heard exact strain, was in the bats many miles away.  Do you have to do gene splicing or can you force a more virulent version of the virus by working within the confines of mother nature?  Serious question.

1,000 miles away.

It's not splicing is it? Gain of.Function research has been under debate for.some time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4996883/

"Gain-of-function (GOF) research involves experimentation that aims or is expected to (and/or, perhaps, actually does) increase the transmissibility and/or virulence of pathogens. Such research, when conducted by responsible scientists, usually aims to improve understanding of disease causing agents, their interaction with human hosts, and/or their potential to cause pandemics. The ultimate objective of such research is to better inform public health and preparedness efforts and/or development of medical countermeasures. Despite these important potential benefits, GOF research (GOFR) can pose risks regarding biosecurity and biosafety."

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 9:16 PM, ZEUS121996 said:

W+T

Are you referring to the doctor or the man who thinks we should all be shooting up with disinfectant?

Mar 8, 2020

It was Faluci, on March 8, 2020, who was telling the nation that masks were not needed and maybe should be avoided. 

[Removed, political]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Not started from the lab, but started in nature, brought to a lab and possibly a market [insert utter speculation] then first case, 2, 4, 8 16 into a sigmoid curve.

Yeah their funny that way, doctors and scientists, insisting on empirical daya and evidence.  

We will know more in a year. What's being said answers a few of my questions (was it man made, or..) but we still don't really know if they are telling the truth, saying what we want to hear or saying what China wants us to hear.

47 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Thar be no correlation to either the lab or the market and therein lies the rub. Interestingly they know the covid19 strain originated in a bat and that the novel viruses stored in the lab came directly from bats. But I read that if the virus started in the wet market that it had to come from an intermediate source. It could not have come directly from infected bats. I think they’ve inferred civet cats as a possible link from bat to humans via the marketplace. My point is that they should be able to sleuth out the source of the virus in the market by seeking out vendors who dealt in such critters. But none of that has been done. China simply does not want this issue drilled into. If it were me - I’d want that lab exonerated if at all possible but China’s not working too hard toward that goal.

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

I thought I heard the lab worked to increase the efficacy of the virus strains so they could figure out effective treatments (supposedly).  I also thought I heard similar strains, not sure if I heard exact strain, was in the bats many miles away.  Do you have to do gene splicing or can you force a more virulent version of the virus by working within the confines of mother nature?  Serious question.

They did not need a more virulent strain of this particular virus. We have had prior experiences with this virus crossing into human elements (SARS) and know just how lethal it can be. Yes, this lab was analyzing the virus and could use that information to develop treatments and drugs and strategies. Yes these strains originated in bats. The viruses kept in the lab came directly from bats. But I hear that infected bats could not have directly contaminated humans at the marketplace. The bat would’ve infected some other animal that was raised or captured which would’ve been brought to market for sale and slaughter. I recall hearing about civet cats as a possible source.

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The same guy who said no masks were needed. 

He said that on 2/17. We sure know more about it now than we did then, right?

They were also trying to prevent a run on masks, since they knew they didn't have many, and needed them for nurses and doctors.

• Like 1

Unless it is an N-95 mask, the only thing a standard hospital mask or home made cloth mask does is keep you from spraying large ammounts of particles to others when you cough. It doesn't do practically anything to protect you from getting it and may even increase your odds of contracting it.

Roger
Not necessarily true. My wife is making cotton masks with coffee filters and according to South Korea these work as well as the n95 masks.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Negatron said:

Not necessarily true. My wife is making cotton masks with coffee filters and according to South Korea these work as well as the n95 masks.

Would love to know more about this. There's a gazillion youtube videos on this. What is she using for a pattern?

• Like 2

That's good enough for me: People should keep their nasties to themselves. We have to open the country, the sooner the better (I need a hair cut lol).  If EVERYONE would wear the masks and be able to get out and start living again without an increase in death and infections, it proves we can stop all this stay at home bs. 
Our problem is that people have proven in general they do not want to be bothered by wearing a mask or social distances.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Appears someone needs to protect people from other ignorant people.  Who else but the government?
If stores were smart, there are a lot of people that don't want to be around people without masks.  That will cut their clientele.  I believe stores will enact their own controls if smart otherwise they will have less customers (unless critical).  Then you are stuck possibly getting infected by dummies.

Now if they can't be carriers or be infected, maybe they should have a sticker on their forehead so you don't have to be skeptical of them not wearing a mask.
I like this idea, but the same people who refuse to wear a mask will protest against the business for refusing entry...even though a business has the right to refuse customers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Unless it is an N-95 mask, the only thing a standard hospital mask or home made cloth mask does is keep you from spraying large ammounts of particles to others when you cough. It doesn't do practically anything to protect you from getting it and may even increase your odds of contracting it.

Roger

Hi Roger ... what am i missing here ... i can understand how a mask wouldn’t be fail-safe; but how would it increase your odds of contracting it. Seems to me that ANY barrier between me and the virus would be better than nothing. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Deang said:

He said that on 2/17. We sure know more about it now than we did then, right?

They were also trying to prevent a run on masks, since they knew they didn't have many, and needed them for nurses and doctors.

When one person says something, fact or fiction, that person gets a pass. When someone else says something, he gets flamed. We can keep searching for something that supports out POV... I want facts, regardless if it supports what I want. 

6 minutes ago, Negatron said:

Our problem is that people have proven in general they do not want to be bothered by wearing a mask or social distances.

i agree and my fear is that those that have made it through the first wave unscathed will be less cautious IF there is a second wave. If i make it through this first wave, i will consider myself more lucky than anything else ... although i do take precautions pretty serious because of my age and lung disease, plus live with a person that is also in a vulnerable group. Last thing i’d want to do is to pass it on to my brother ... don’t want that on my conscience, so this inconvenience is just that ... an inconvenience. Those that claim their rights are being taken -- can stick it. If they don’t care about my health, i don’t care about their rights. Life is a two-way street.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

When one person says something, fact or fiction, that person gets a pass. When someone else says something, he gets flamed. We can keep searching for something that supports out POV... I want facts, regardless if it supports what I want. 

?

Why are you crossing out parts of my statements? It all verifiable.

Article dated 2/17.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/

Early concern on run on masks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

• dtel locked this topic