Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators
Would love to know more about this. There's a gazillion youtube videos on this. What is she using for a pattern?

There are free patterns available on the internet. Just Google “free face mask patterns”.

Christy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Hi Roger ... what am i missing here ... i can understand how a mask wouldn’t be fail-safe; but how would it increase your odds of contracting it. Seems to me that ANY barrier between me and the virus would be better than nothing. 

The general public has not been trained and is ignorant to sterile technique procedures. If that mask gets soiled almost all lay persons will touch it an invariably touch near their eyes. Plus, most masks are not face shields and leave the eyes and their membranes exposed to coughed particles. Nurses may have to assist with sterile procedures so we have all been taught and tested at proper sterile techniques.

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would love to know more about this. There's a gazillion youtube videos on this. What is she using for a pattern?
She is basically making 2 rectangles and attaching them together on 3 sides. The open end is where you insert the coffee filters. She uses pipe cleaner sticks cut down for the nose area and thes are sewn in before attaching the 2 rectangles together. She also sees in material to wrap around your ears. She has several fabric stores she goes to locally to buy material, and then sells them with all the profits going to locals in need. A local family was about to get evicted after 2 months of not paying their rent. The profits went to paying any months back for rent , house mods, a refrigerator, and a new car battery.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Plus, most masks are not face shields and leave the eyes and their membranes exposed to coughed particles.

So, it’s probably a wash ... infection via mishandling of the mask, or no mask and get the coughed particles directly on you.

• Like 1

There are free patterns available on the internet. Just Google “free face mask patterns”.

Christy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, just make sure you put filters into the design to get reusable protection beyond a single cotton layer.[emoji6]

• Thanks 1

Just now, Deang said:

?

Why are you crossing out parts of my statements? It all verifiable. 

I quoted it all in fairness to show what you said. You're welcome.

What was not crossed out is what I based my response on. A lot of people bring forth something that supports the position that was taken. Very seldom do we bring both sides to the table and let facts lead us to truth.

The general public has not been trained and is ignorant to sterile technique procedures. If that mask gets soiled almost all lay persons will touch it an invariably touch near their eyes. Plus, most masks are not face shields and leave the eyes and their membranes exposed to coughed particles. Nurses may have to assist with sterile procedures so we have all been taught and tested at proper sterile techniques.

Roger

I agree with your comments on use, but I do not see how it is possible that a person wearing a mask of any kind can have more of a chance of getting infected. The person who had the virus on their mask would have had it directly on their face if they did not have a mask. A person who takes it off properly and washes their hands is much better off IMO, then someone who did not even wear a mask at all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

So, it’s probably a wash ... infection via mishandling of the mask, or no mask and get the coughed particles directly on you.

Couldn't stop thinking about this and sleep, so I got back out of bed to give you and Negatron a science lesson here.

Hundreds of thousands of bacteria can fit on the head of a single straight pin.

We can see a single bacteria with a high power glass lens microscope.

We can NOT see a single virus with a normal microscope.

We need an Electron Microscope to see a single virus.

The size difference is so great, it is impossible to see a bacteria in an electron microscope and still be able to see a single virus.

If a single virus was sitting on a single bacteria, it would look like a BB rolling down a 12 lane highway.

I don't know what you have been smoking, but it aint good !!

Your Coffee filter lets coffee particles through it and that is what colors your coffee.

As nurses, we use both rubber and Latex gloves.

Old people sometimes get an infection that can be fatal referred to as C-Diff.

C-Diff causes a ton of Diarrhea which makes you physically Gag when you smell it.

Now it does not matter which kind of glove you wear, your fingers still stink like shit after taking the gloves off.

These gloves are only limiting how much shit you are getting on your hands.

Standard issue Hospital masks will only prevent you from breathing in the large goobers that are coughed out but those large or miniature to microscopic mist goobers can sit around for hours on that mask with literally millions of viruses and the mask is doing absolutely nothing to prevent virus sized particles from being inhaled.

In fact, that mask could be providing a shelf for those viruses to hang out on for hours, right in front of your nose and mouth.

It is kind of the same as if you had a cup full of virus and continually breathed directly over it unprotected for hours.

Negatron; I have an experiment for you. Take one of those Coffee Filter masks and find yourself a fresh steaming pile of Dog Shit and put on the mask and get that Dog Shit right in front of that mask. If you can still smell that Dog Shit, I guarantee that mask wont stop you from getting Covid-19.

Roger

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Couldn't stop thinking about this and sleep, so I got back out of bed to give you and Negatron a science lesson here.

Hundreds of thousands of bacteria can fit on the head of a single straight pin.

We can see a single bacteria with a high power glass lens microscope.

We can NOT see a single virus with a normal microscope.

We need an Electron Microscope to see a single virus.

The size difference is so great, it is impossible to see a bacteria in an electron microscope and still be able to see a single virus.

If a single virus was sitting on a single bacteria, it would look like a BB rolling down a 12 lane highway.

I don't know what you have been smoking, but it aint good !!

Your Coffee filter lets coffee particles through it and that is what colors your coffee.

As nurses, we use both rubber and Latex gloves.

Old people sometimes get an infection that can be fatal referred to as C-Diff.

C-Diff causes a ton of Diarrhea which makes you physically Gag when you smell it.

Now it does not matter which kind of glove you wear, your fingers still stink like shit after taking the gloves off.

These gloves are only limiting how much shit you are getting on your hands.

Standard issue Hospital masks will only prevent you from breathing in the large goobers that are coughed out but those large or miniature to microscopic mist goobers can sit around for hours on that mask with literally millions of viruses and the mask is doing absolutely nothing to prevent virus sized particles from being inhaled.

It is kind of the same as if you had a cup full of virus and continually breathed directly over it unprotected for hours.

Negatron; I have an experiment for you. Take one of those Coffee Filter masks and find yourself a fresh steaming pile of Dog Shit and put on the mask and get that Dog Shit right in front of that mask. If you can still smell that Dog Shit, I guarantee that mask wont stop you from getting Covid-19.

Roger

How do you feel about nitrile gloves?

16 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

W+T

Are you referring to the doctor or the man who thinks we should all be shooting up with disinfectant?

The nation's foremost infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci, said in an interview with CNN on Monday that the decision to reopen states across the country amounted to balancing “how many deaths and how much suffering are you willing to accept to get back to what you want to be, some form of normality, sooner rather than later."'

I think the doctor might be a little more qualified but that would depend on who you ask

Mark

Most Doctors who work for the Government aren't that good, because the Government doesn't pay that well !!

Secondly, Fauci's position is NOT an elected one. He got that position as a political favor...

A Doctor for the Government isn't going to get rich unless they are unethical just like most Politicians and are in charge of awarding hundreds of millions of Dollars in Grants and are awarding them for kick backs !!

Roger

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mungkiman said:

How do you feel about nitrile gloves?

I can honestly say I have been a nurse for over 20 years and I have been travel nursing for over 10 years and I have NEVER worked anywhere where they used nitrile gloves for C-Diff. It has always pissed me off that we used gloves that I could smell crap on my hands after removing them. I have attended dozens of meetings at deozens of hospitals and I have even attended meetings on C-Diff and I have NEVER heard anything pushed on any specific type of gloves. Rest assured that tomorow I will be seeing what I can google on this and passing it on to a lot of medical professionals.

Roger

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

1,000 miles away.

It's not splicing is it? Gain of.Function research has been under debate for.some time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4996883/

"Gain-of-function (GOF) research involves experimentation that aims or is expected to (and/or, perhaps, actually does) increase the transmissibility and/or virulence of pathogens. Such research, when conducted by responsible scientists, usually aims to improve understanding of disease causing agents, their interaction with human hosts, and/or their potential to cause pandemics. The ultimate objective of such research is to better inform public health and preparedness efforts and/or development of medical countermeasures. Despite these important potential benefits, GOF research (GOFR) can pose risks regarding biosecurity and biosafety."

So it is just bunk to have all the people come on and say this wasn't man made.  They are just splitting hairs and being untruthful at best since GOF research is what it is all about.  Creating a super virus.  It may not be for intentional war though you can look at the actions here and decide what you want, maybe a little too convenient, but this was not 100% what you would find in nature either.

7 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Thar be no correlation to either the lab or the market and therein lies the rub. Interestingly they know the covid19 strain originated in a bat and that the novel viruses stored in the lab came directly from bats. But I read that if the virus started in the wet market that it had to come from an intermediate source. It could not have come directly from infected bats. I think they’ve inferred civet cats as a possible link from bat to humans via the marketplace. My point is that they should be able to sleuth out the source of the virus in the market by seeking out vendors who dealt in such critters. But none of that has been done. China simply does not want this issue drilled into. If it were me - I’d want that lab exonerated if at all possible but China’s not working too hard toward that goal.

Yes, should we shouldn't be skeptical of all the claims nor intentions.  The less you can call someone on, the higher their likelihood of explaining it away with thoughts of plausible deniability. Seems best for everyone involved to keep it that way.

6 hours ago, mungkiman said:

It's interesting that our president is praising the very people who are protesting his own reopening guidelines.

Masks are for nerds.

I guess you don't understand what they are protesting.   

Problem is some areas want to stay home and collect $$ for the unknown future and others want to get to work.  Many have lost or will lose their livelihoods.

People need to figure out there is no economy, nor any money, if you don't work and produce something.  Bottom line.  I agree with doing it safely and protect the vulnerable but someone needs to work.  You can't just print money so that leaves the people out that just want to sit home and collect $$.

With the amount of money this govt burns per month and considering we are now 25T in the hole and we also have to pay that interest, this almost 2 month closure along with the slow restart (IMO) is going to make the Great Depression look meek.  We shall see.

On 5/4/2020 at 10:16 PM, Deang said:

So some of you think a BSL-4 facility is like Jurassic Park. A little misdirection, grab your specimens, and head off to the market. Lol. Yes, it’s as ridiculous as it sounds. 

Well back from being out of power for a couple of days.  The rating of anything from China is as valid as the agency doing it. Reminds me of the last piece of equipment I bought from China which was supposed to be an "aircraft" quality ISO 9001 lathe. The splined shaft the gear cluster rode on twisted twice under heavy load and had ti be replaced. Bits and pieces falling off all the time and no loctite anywhere. ISO 9001 parts are all interchangeable from one machine to the next except from China. Everything that had a keeper pin in it was hand drilled and fitted and each time one of those items broke you got a part with no hole and you had to try and mate to the other parts non spec hole. It was not cheap to buy and it was the last made in Chine thing I bought for my business.

The ISO rating was meaningless and I still can't figure out how the USA let them do this. The Chinese gave themselves the rating and no one contested it.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2020 at 10:16 PM, Deang said:

So some of you think a BSL-4 facility is like Jurassic Park. A little misdirection, grab your specimens, and head off to the market. Lol. Yes, it’s as ridiculous as it sounds. 

Well back from being out of power for a couple of days.  The rating of anything from China is as valid as the agency doing it. Reminds me of the last piece of equipment I bought from China which was supposed to be an "aircraft" quality ISO 9001 lathe. The splined shaft the gear cluster rode on twisted twice under heavy load and had to be replaced. Bits and pieces falling off all the time and no loctite anywhere. ISO 9001 parts are all interchangeable from one machine to the next except from China. Everything that had a keeper pin in it was hand drilled and fitted and each time one of those items broke you got a part with no hole and you had to try and mate to the other parts non spec hole. It was not cheap to buy and it was the last made in China thing I bought for my business.

The ISO rating was meaningless and I still can't figure out how the USA let them do this. The Chinese gave themselves the rating and no one contested it.

• dtel locked this topic