Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

12 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Exactly!  What you are describing occurred the minute Fauci didn't express the same kind of excitement Trump expressed when chlor was first mentioned.  Everyone politicized this event until we are where we are now...  chlor was indeed studied and found ineffective, and Fauci is in the back pocket of Chinese billionaires and the WHO.

I assume that you’re being sarcastic re Fauci there but it’s hard to tell for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Too many to discount other than the one that was botched by the VA.

I believe there have been other studies as well that said it wasn't effective..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's strange how things work out as they do sometimes.  I've seen many claims of people being cured by all sorts of things.  As I recall, though, chlor was put to a clinical trial.  Trials measure averages and standard deviations in a defined population.  Anecdotes are what we rely on when we're out of luck, grasping for straws or trying to beat the odds.

Believe it or not, many trials prove placebos actually work in some patients!  If a placebo can cure an illness in some people, I am not surprised chlor cured COV in some, too.

Too many to discount.  I didn't like the way it was played down for other's gain.  Makes me think of a motive.  It is not a cure but a therapeutic that reduces the response to the virus in the lungs.  A lot of Drs are using it.  I guess then we would say they are all quacks. 

29 minutes ago, sputnik said:

Could we be weakening our virus resistance with our social distancing?  

Yes!  While out walking I encountered the retired internist I have known for years.  Previously, he was putting stock in a vaccine.  Now, in view of the virus mutations being documented, he feels that the only way to get some degree of control is to be exposed.  I totally agree with this.  

Earlier, someone said that beans and corn are a good substitute for meat.  Around here, beans are very scarce.  In addition, I know many who can not tolerate beans even with supplemental digestive enzymes.  

It is difficult to imagine that the ramping up of the food shortage is not being done with intent.  There are many who believe that what Kissinger suggested back in ‘74 is one of the best ways to control the population.  When you are out of work, relying on government financial assistance, and standing on a food line for hours for your daily allotment,  you will do whatever you are told to do.

Maynard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I believe there have been other studies as well that said it wasn't effective..

Please point them out because I'd like to know what to rely on if I get this.  Everything I have read it is a possibility, just as remdesivir.  I'd love to not croak.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

In fairness, though, not a lot of people gave much thought to the idea of a serious pandemic.  It's kind of like all those scientists writing reports about how we're way past due for the San Andreas fault to give Californians an epochal shaking.  Meanwhile, people are going about their routines, and real estate prices there are as high as ever.  Just imagine what our state of the Union would be if the California coast was devastated.

And when it happens, whoever the governor and the president are -- the people that suffer loss will blame them for not preventing or minimizing it. 

some people have unreasonable expectations. Don't raise my taxes, but be prepared to protect me from any possible harm that may come my way. 

Darn it Mr. President, you knew that it was possible for an asteroid to collide with the Earth and yet you did nothing about it, if my party were in charge, we'd have built a force field by now and the world would be a safe place. flowers growing everywhere, no crime, no disease, and the clouds would be cotton candy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Please point them out because I'd like to know what to rely on if I get this.  Everything I have read it is a possibility, just as remdesivir.  I'd love to not croak.

I'm looking for something more current, but work calls...

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/hydroxychloroquine-for-covid-19-what-do-the-clinical-trials-tell-us/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dtel's wife said:

The hatred that some folks have towards another’s value or opinion is quite frankly disgusting.

Ad Hominem attacks are all some have. To me, that generally indicates that (1) their position is defenseless (if they've even stated their position, usually it is just attacking another position without stating what their's is); (2) they're just a jerk as a human being. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I was getting ready to make the same comment about self-preparedness, but it occurred to me that governments exist for the purpose of serving the unprepared.  No matter how right you are to claim people should be prepared, the fact is that 80% won''t be.

Very true, and there have been discussions covering myriad topics regarding how far should the government go to protect a people from themselves (health wise and financially). Not sure of the accuracy; but read this morning that before this virus, 60% of the population did not wash their hands regularly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, dtel's wife said:

Individual states and medical institutions should be responsible for “stockpiling/providing” PPE and not depend on the federal government.

How utterly ridiculous.  I pay both state AND Federal taxes, and I'm getting tired of funding golfing trips and parties for the rich and well connected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Nor I.

It's hard for me to fathom most everything going on as I have been so minimally impacted by all this in my day to day life.  I've only really noticed it in my paycheck as I'm mostly commission and things are slow.  I know no one personally who has been directly impacted this either other than financially of course.

Since your wife works in hospitals, what precautions does she take when coming home?  My buddy's wife is a nurse and (for YEARS) will not come into the house wearing her work shoes. She said the hospital floors are so dirty and her kids were crawling on their living room floors, so she didn't want to wear her work shoes at home. She takes them off in the garage. Now in the time of the Corona Virus, he said she makes him remove his shoes and spray then with Lysol before he enters the house. 

I just read this morning an article telling us not to wear our shoes in the house, change clothes and immediately wash them after we've been out in public. Wash your food, wear gloves ... it's all rather exhausting and frustrating when one says one thing and another says the opposite. And these days, anyone that has ever driven by a hospital is suddenly a virologist. 

16 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Ad Hominem attacks are all some have. To me, that generally indicates that (1) their position is defenseless (if they've even stated their position, usually it is just attacking another position without stating what their's is); (2) they're just a jerk as a human being. 

28 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I'm looking for something more current, but work calls...

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/hydroxychloroquine-for-covid-19-what-do-the-clinical-trials-tell-us/

I'd like to see a roll together because based on that, it sounds like inconclusive.  Quite messed up to be able to say the drug is no good.  Case in point " From the data given we cannot reliably identify which patients they were."

• Moderators
How utterly ridiculous.  I pay both state AND Federal taxes, and I'm getting tired of funding golfing trips and parties for the rich and well connected.

Of course you consider the concept ridiculous. It’s also ridiculous that federal funds have to bail states and local government out.

Federal taxes should be reserved for federal programs and projects. State and local government should be responsible for funding their programs and projects.

What a novel concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• dtel locked this topic