Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

38 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

In my opinion, we are not far from the realities of the pictures shown here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2255693/Last-pictures-life-iron-curtain-collapse-USSR.html

Add face masks, and 6 foot spacing, and you will get the idea.

Maynard

I think it could get worse than that here.  I worked in Russia in the mid-1990s in the arctic oil fields and also in two large cities.  In that era (post communist and pre mafia), Russian general society was more cohesive than what we have here now.  It was a sort of shared victimhood after a long period of suppression by a truly evil empire.  The political divisions here are so deep (just look at this thread) and driven by special interests that it will only get worse no matter who wins in November.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I think it could get worse than that here.  I worked in Russia in the mid-1990s in the arctic oil fields and also in two large cities.  In that era (post communist and pre mafia), Russian general society was more cohesive than what we have here now.  It was a sort of shared victimhood after a long period of suppression by a truly evil empire.  The political divisions here are so deep (just look at this thread) and driven by special interests that it will only get worse no matter who wins in November.

That’s because some people are just sore losers and refuse to unite for the betterment of this country.

I didn’t particularly care for some our of previous Presidents, but I respect the position enough to not be disrespectful. Disrespecting the highest office in the country just doesn’t go hand in hand with my beliefs.

Disrespecting anyone isn’t acceptable to me. We are all individuals. No one is perfect. To blatantly disrespect another human being in any form is just evil, in my opinion. Again, the hatred by some folks makes me completely rethink my opinion of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Since your wife works in hospitals, what precautions does she take when coming home?  My buddy's wife is a nurse and (for YEARS) will not come into the house wearing her work shoes. She said the hospital floors are so dirty and her kids were crawling on their living room floors, so she didn't want to wear her work shoes at home. She takes them off in the garage. Now in the time of the Corona Virus, he said she makes him remove his shoes and spray then with Lysol before he enters the house. 

I just read this morning an article telling us not to wear our shoes in the house, change clothes and immediately wash them after we've been out in public. Wash your food, wear gloves ... it's all rather exhausting and frustrating when one says one thing and another says the opposite. And these days, anyone that has ever driven by a hospital is suddenly a virologist. 

Exactly what I do every time I go out and come back home. Been doing that for the past 6 weeks. I do have professional training though, so I do understand the risks and the controls necessary to protect others and myself from contamination from exposure whether it be an infectious disease, or an harmful material. Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRA) Best Practices in Health Care Construction. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sputnik said:

It was a sort of shared victimhood after a long period of suppression by a truly evil empire.

I agree with your entire statement. This sentence that I quoted is also true and presents its own set of problems that likely couldn't be discussed here with any civility. 

And how right you are ... the downward political spiral will only spin faster as time goes on. 

7 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Disrespecting anyone isn’t acceptable to me. We are all individuals. No one is perfect. To blatantly disrespect another human being in any form is just evil, in my opinion. Again, the hatred by some folks makes me completely rethink my opinion of them.

I agree.  As the saying goes, being bitter is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

What many people that I've dealt with don't accept is that I believe the response to an evil can be just as evil as the actual evil that they're condemning.  I guess a more simplistic way to say it is what we were taught as children ... two wrongs don't make a right (but three lefts do). 

some demand that I reject someone for their hate, yet want me to accept their hate.  Pretzel logic. 

10 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

Exactly what I do every time I go out and come back home. Been doing that for the past 6 weeks. I do have professional training though, so I do understand the risks and the controls necessary to protect others. Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRA) Best Practices in Health Care Construction. 

as I stated earlier, it must be exhausting. But, I hope your efforts keep you well.  I'm exceedingly happy that my children are grown, I'd hate to have to go out to work and worry about bringing the virus home to them (which is the reality for so many) and my hat is off to them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

as I stated earlier, it must be exhausting. But, I hope your efforts keep you well.  I'm exceedingly happy that my children are grown, I'd hate to have to go out to work and worry about bringing the virus home to them (which is the reality for so many) and my hat is off to them. 

Exhausting, no. Small sacrifices to protect others VS knowing I could have potentially caused the suffering or death of another. That is the decision we all have to make. That is how simple it is. How selfish are we?

• Like 1

In life there are 2 rules that apply to any individuals inappropriate behavior. 

1) The rule of I did not know

2) The rule of I did not care

every other answer explaining said behavior is an excuse that leads to one of the 2 rules being the underlying root cause. Even the excuse of "I can't" applies, because at that point, a choice has still been made.

• Like 1

Shoes from the outside world in the house? Um no--never. And long before COVID-19. And clothes only in their designated place. To be worn again or the laundry. And wash hands/arms thoroughly, that's what the 'mudroom' is for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

Individual states and medical institutions should be responsible for “stockpiling/providing” PPE and not depend on the federal government. Individuals should take responsibility and have their own masks, provisions, etc in the event of an emergency. You know, kind of like seasoned veterans of hurricanes make sure they have adequate supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being prepared is one thing. Analogising a new (4 mos? 5 mos?) killer virus to "You know, ... Seasoned veterans of hurricanes.."  is,  imo, false equivalency. If we had many decades and generations to learn to prepare as veterens of hurricanes do, then the individual states or in fact individual citizens can make sure. Most people are only asking for a bit of consistent, sustained guidance through a completely unknown time.  We aren't getting it so slowly some states are acquiring it themselves. It should never have been a pissing contest from either side. But these don't appear to be United States of America, lately.

• Like 2

• dtel locked this topic