2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Have never had a flu shot.

May not in future. 

Got a pneumonia shot 

a couple of years ago.

Caused pain and stiffness

in arm and shoulder for

a month.

I have had to get a flu shot every year as a health care worker and have gotten aches and chills multiple years and still got full blown flu one year.

Around hear, the Doctors never take a flu shot, so why should nursing have too ??

Roger

• Like 1

• Moderators

NOPE !!

Unless you have a N-95 mask with an air tight seal a mask only protects others from you if you are sick. Unless you have an N-95 mask with an air tight seal, you are actually increasing your own odds of getting sick PERIOD ...

Roger

He’s right you know!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Deang said:

It was a German study. In aerosolized form, you have to be pretty close - hence the six feet. Some of the conclusions from the study came under heavy fire.  

Aerosols can travel way more than 6 feet, that is common knowledge and basic aseptic technique which has nothing to do with that study.

Roger

37 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

A few studies have shown droplets can travel 12 feet or further from a cough or sneeze. I did not personally read those particular reports. Dtel read them and passed the info along. He made the statement that according to one report he read we could be sitting on our front porch and someone passing in their car could pass on the road and if the wind was blowing the droplets could reach the porch. Our porch is approximately 100 feet from the road. Not sure how true that is....but he read it.

Six feet should keep you out of trouble if they turn their head and sneeze or cough into their elbow (or have a mask on). You need a certain amount of particulate to infect (I have no idea what that amount is anymore, but I did back in March). I think the days of someone coughing or sneezing into open space are done. Anyone who does that now is probably going to get the shit beat out them.

So, if someone sneezed straight up into the air, yeah, it could probably cross and isle or two, but I don't think there would be enough of it to infect someone.

It's not like the flu, but it is like the flu -- in the way it transmits. 

10 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

NOPE !!

Unless you have a N-95 mask with an air tight seal a mask only protects others from you if you are sick. Unless you have an N-95 mask with an air tight seal, you are actually increasing your own odds of getting sick PERIOD ...

Roger

If all those other people are protecting me by wearing masks, that's a good thing, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Aerosols can travel way more than 6 feet, that is common knowledge and basic aseptic technique which has nothing to do with that study.

Roger

Yes, like I said above, or with certain medical procedures.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deang said:

?

That is a myth. 

A vaccine works by presenting your system with something to attack, and it creates the necessary antibodies. This is why some people get a little ill after a flu shot.

A vaccine teaches your body what to attack. If your body cannot effectively attack and defend itself after actually having the disease. How in the hell do you think the body can learn to attack the pathogen from a vaccine if it can't learn from the actual pathogen ??

Tis is FACT, not conjecture here.

Roger

Yeah, he is right about the mask thing. I have found they make my face itch, and I'm constantly resisting the temptation to scratch and adjust the damned thing. I've tried several. This is going to be a difficult transition for me -- because I normally don't touch my face very much at all.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

If all those other people are protecting me by wearing masks, that's a good thing, right?

But unless they already have it, they are increasing their own odds of contracting it and creating a larger  source of infection Jeff, soo that is a bad thing right ??

Roger

5 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

A vaccine teaches your body what to attack. If your body cannot effectively attack and defend itself after actually having the disease. How in the hell do you think the body can learn to attack the pathogen from a vaccine if it can't learn from the actual pathogen ??

Tis is FACT, not conjecture here.

Roger

If you are inferring it needs the live virus, you're wrong.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-understand-color-office.pdf

1 minute ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

But unless they already have it, they are increasing their own odds of contracting it and creating a larger  source of infection Jeff, soo that is a bad thing right ??

Roger

I suppose, but only if your stated premise is true.  Why do medical professionals wear masks around sick patients?

• Moderators

Roger

In my particular case it’s a very bad thing since I’m in one of the vulnerable groups. It’s very frustrating that when I positively must go out that I’m expected to wear a mask that increases my odds of becoming infected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
I suppose, but only if your stated premise is true.  Why do medical professionals wear masks around sick patients?

This is why they wear N95 masks along with other PPE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• dtel locked this topic