Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

So, I do not wear a mask outside here, only in stores. Know it helps to protect others but, getting some protection surely. Not completely

but some protection. Some percentage, 40,60, more...

And folks coming out now with

business reopening, guess I will be doing so indefinitely. Just so many differing information and opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I suppose, but only if your stated premise is true.  Why do medical professionals wear masks around sick patients?

That absolutely depends specifically upon each individual patient and health care worker. Ever heard of reverse isolation? ever heard of a sick health care worker having to protect the clientele. Did you know that if you refuse to take a flu shot, hospitals force you to wear masks through flu season. 

Your knowledge on this is extremely limited but you think you have a clue.

You question my statements without any facts of your own.

Start reading dude and come back with facts, not ignorance...

Roger

3 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

In my particular case it’s a very bad thing since I’m in one of the vulnerable groups. It’s very frustrating that when I positively must go out that I’m expected to wear a mask that increases my odds of becoming infected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... if it's really true.  I remember when people argued against seatbelt laws because they wanted to be thrown from the car to safety.  

I see a lot of conjecture on this topic.  Maybe a proper clinical trial is in order.

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

So, I do not wear a mask outside here, only in stores. Know it helps to protect others but, getting some protection surely. Not completely

but some protection. Some percentage, 40,60, more...

And folks coming out now with

business reopening, guess I will be doing so indefinitely. Just so many differing information and opinion.

NOPE !!

Think of a mask as a filter here.

Are you getting ANY protection at all with filling up a bucket if there are so many holes that the bucket drains faster than you can fill it.

The ONLY one getting any kind of protection at all from you wearing a normal hospital mask or home made cloth mask is OTHER people, and that ONLY applies if you are infected.

Yes, your paper or cloth mask will stop big chunks of stuff coughed directly in your face, but unless you change that mask immediately, you are continually breathing in the evaporation of those chunks.

'

Not only are you getting absolutely limited protection from large chunks, but you are increasing your odds of infection by keeping those chunks in front of your face for hours.

Roger

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Thay absolutely depends specifically upon each individual patient and health care worker. Ever heard of reverse isolation? ever heard of a sick health care worker having to protect the clientel. Did you know that if you refuse to take a flu shot, hospitals force you to wear masks through flu season. 

Your knowlege on this is exxtremely limited but you think you have a clue.

You question my statements without any facts of your own.

Start reading dude and come back with facts, not ignorance...

Roger

Dude!  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

29 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

NOPE !!

Unless you have a N-95 mask with an air tight seal a mask only protects others from you if you are sick. Unless you have an N-95 mask with an air tight seal, you are actually increasing your own odds of getting sick PERIOD ...

Roger

Correct but if you don't know you are sick and you are in the hallway outside of your apartment, perhaps you would like to not infect someone else if someone is in the hallway.  You are not outside.  You are inside with others around in particular.

29 minutes ago, billybob said:

Don't go, use the phone or Internet.

Yes, going in my office chair 😉 

I don't even go into the Dr's office unless I am really sick since I usually have something new 3 days later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

No please enlighten us all and dumb it down for the masses. 

I am more than ready to debate.

Roger

I was in the middle of editing my post because I began to think I misunderstood you. I thought you were inferring that only a live version of the pathogen would work, which isn't true.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Deang said:

It was a German study. In aerosolized form, you have to be pretty close - hence the six feet. Some of the conclusions from the study came under heavy fire.  

pretty soon ,  they will tell us to wear a shield

1 minute ago, Deang said:

I was in the middle of editing my post because I began to think I misunderstood you. I thought you were inferring that only a live version of the pathogen would work, which isn't true.

Dean,

No, only meant that a live virus is the absolute best source of natural immunity and if getting Covid-19 wont protect you, a Vaccine never will.

Roger

Just now, twistedcrankcammer said:

No, only meant that a live virus is the absolute best source of natural immunity and if getting Covid-19 wont protect you, a Vaccine never will.

Yup. I try not to think about that one. What if it's like the common cold?

Just now, twistedcrankcammer said:

You mean like not explaining the difference between an N-95 mask and regular mask and when both should be used and why to the lay person ??

Roger

Yes, pretty much so... thanks

• Thanks 1

I wish they would stop calling the DIY stuff "masks" -- they are face coverings. A "mask" makes it sound like you are getting some measure of protection that you are just not getting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Deang said:

I wish they would stop calling the DIY stuff "masks" -- they are face coverings. A "mask" makes it sound like you are getting some measure of protection that you are just not getting.

Dean,

Hense my statement about the home made Coffee filter mask.

I don't believe for one minute that a Coffee filter that passes microscopic coffee pieces is going to not let Covid-19 virus pass, plus there is no way those are an air tight seal.

Roger

• dtel locked this topic