Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

6 hours ago, Deang said:

Yeah, he is right about the mask thing. I have found they make my face itch, and I'm constantly resisting the temptation to scratch and adjust the damned thing. I've tried several. This is going to be a difficult transition for me -- because I normally don't touch my face very much at all.

Ya Ya. And you can hear 20,000khz.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

The opinion is fairly short and to the point.  I didn't see much discussion of what is or is not "social media."  I did see the contradictions and inconsistencies I was talking about.  You can read its short analysis of the First Amendment by downloading the opinion.  https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2020/02/26/18-15712.pdf

Here is a link mentioning how the US SCt held social media is subject to First Amendment concerns.  https://qz.com/1507443/a-california-court-finds-social-media-posts-arent-a-first-amendment-right/

Just keep in mind that the 9th Circuit is not the ultimate authority and that the Supreme Court is.  Also, keep in mind the Supreme Court is not consistent, either.  It's a problematic area of law.

Thanks, that is interesting. I agree with parts and disagree with parts of the decision. I was surprised to learn that You Tube is considered a private forum. 

So, a private forum can place restrictions on speech (isn't that what they did to PragerU by making some videos available only in restricted mode?). I guess this forum did the same with limiting some topics to the private section. So, can a restaurant tell me that if I'm going to talk politics or religion, I have to sit in the back room? 

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Thanks, that is interesting. I agree with parts and disagree with parts of the decision. I was surprised to learn that You Tube is considered a private forum. 

So, a private forum can place restrictions on speech (isn't that what they did to PragerU by making some videos available only in restricted mode?). I guess this forum did the same with limiting some topics to the private section. So, can a restaurant tell me that if I'm going to talk politics or religion, I have to sit in the back room? 

They have issued opinions about "speech" in shopping malls, in front of grocery stores, etc.  You might be able to find the law applicable to restaurants.  

Nothing is private in our current world. All has been digitized and put out there in one form or another. This forum for instance.

What we do to make private in this digital world just gets broken because of money/or folks trying to figure out what other folks are doing

Just now, 314carpenter said:

You mean the largest ever ozone hole just days ago?

No the one back in the 70's?

The one that just closed recently over the arctic? Saw that, it is interesting!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/world/global-warming-climate-niche-temperatures-intl-hnk/index.html

Billions of people could live in areas too hot for humans by 2070

Most of the world's population live in areas with a mean annual temperature of between 51.8 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit. A smaller band of between 68 to 77°F encompasses areas in South Asia that are affected by the Indian monsoon -- the annual rains that irrigates large swathes of cropland vital for food production.

Humans have favored living in these conditions for the past 6,000 years -- that's despite recent technological advances such as air conditioning that have allowed us to push this boundary.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

oh yeah, back when scientists were warning of the coming of another ice age. 

I remember when they said ice age and we were going to freeze to death, now heat up and oceans will rise, not sure which panic profit maker would be worse. Like as if we could stop any of it, both has happened in the past anyway. We just have not been around long enough to see it.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Then Show me the facts that are both proven and repeatable... You can't.

That's the definition of a "theory" in the scientific realm.

Here is a common definition which includes why some get confused on terminology. 

Theory of Special Relativity, Theory of Gravity, Theory of Plate Tectonics,  Quantum Theory, etc.

"A scientific theory is a well-tested, broad explanation of a natural phenomenon. In everyday life, we often use the word theory to mean a hypothesis or educated guess, but a theory in the context of science is not simply a guess—it is an explanation based on extensive and repeated experimentation,"

• dtel locked this topic