Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

20 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I never thought of it in this way, and you've made a very good point.

"Sufferers simply reduce their level of exercise to accommodate this loss..."  This is all the reason to exercise, especially at whatever level of intensity it takes to breathe hard within your practical limits.  I watched my mom go through the process you describe, and it is slow and increasingly agonizing.  Toward the end of her life, her pulse would be about 115 while laying at rest in a hospital bed!  That's like jogging 24/7.  What a toll that took on her!

Something to take away for breathing:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

But those are counties where there are more cows than people probably. Have a better chance of being struck by lightning or bit by rattle snake then getting Covid-19.

And most areas in the U.S. that fit that description do not have the medical infrastructure to deal with even a small outbreak. Pandemic? Forget about it. They probably have like 1 or 2 ventilators. A relatively short supply of ppe. No supply of specialty drugs. Training? Not the best of the best in most of those places. Sure a few stay behind, but most bright young talent is sucked away by the lure of money and city life. So what happens to places like this when a pandemic hits hard and deep. Do the non-believers then run to their bunkers when their neighbors get it? What happens to the neighbors? Can you guarantee your neighbor does not go to the "big city" during the "grand reopening" and bring a present back with them to "hometown".

We will see how it goes either way. We still have 18-24 months to go where we all get our chance at "immunity". Wait... actually that is when the cities will have immunity, and is when "small town" gets their turn. At least you have time to build a better bunker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

Me too. Got a nice side last week.

Friend just bought 40 acres in Taylor with a few cows on it.  Guaranty he's thinking of hiding out there vs. in town if we start seeing a second wave.

The cows are like rabbits.  I know where to go if meat starts to get more scarce due to the COVID squeeze.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

"Sufferers simply reduce their level of exercise to accommodate this loss..."  This is all the reason to exercise, especially at whatever level of intensity it takes to breathe hard within your practical limits.  I watched my mom go through the process you describe, and it is slow and increasingly agonizing.  Toward the end of her life, her pulse would be about 115 while laying at rest in a hospital bed!  That's like jogging 24/7.  What a toll that took on her!

Jeff,

You said a mouthful here, but just to clarify for the Lay Person, Exercise and staying in shape is extremely important BUT someone over doing, especially trying to get in shape fast can over do and weaken their own bodies immune response and leave one more vulnerable. The key here is moderation within ones present fitness level.

Roger

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

But those are counties where there are more cows than people probably. Have a better chance of being struck by lightning or bit by rattle snake then getting Covid-19.

Travis, 

Exactly why it should be left up to local Authorities Travis. Just like me using or owning an AR-15 shouldn't be ruled by the the masses that are terrified in the cities !!

Roger 

34 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

And most areas in the U.S. that fit that description do not have the medical infrastructure to deal with even a small outbreak. Pandemic? Forget about it. They probably have like 1 or 2 ventilators. A relatively short supply of ppe. No supply of specialty drugs. Training? Not the best of the best in most of those places. Sure a few stay behind, but most bright young talent is sucked away by the lure of money and city life. So what happens to places like this when a pandemic hits hard and deep. Do the non-believers then run to their bunkers when their neighbors get it? What happens to the neighbors? Can you guarantee your neighbor does not go to the "big city" during the "grand reopening" and bring a present back with them to "hometown".

We will see how it goes either way. We still have 18-24 months to go where we all get our chance at "immunity". Wait... actually that is when the cities will have immunity, and is when "small town" gets their turn. At least you have time to build a better bunker. 

Try to stay current. 

Around here, most Hospitals are way over stocked on ventilators.

Roger

3 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Got three extremely nice, well marbled, very thick Ribeye's in the fridge for tonight...  :D

Roger

Oh well, there goes my waistline again. Between this forum and TV commercials, there she blows...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

The CDC developed a publication/guide for how businesses and restaurants can plan for safe reopening. It was written by scientists/doctors, put AP is reporting that they pulled it "under pressure." (Leaving out all politics) So instead of the guide coming from CDC, people are having to get if from media.

Who has the plan? Where can I purchase a copy of it?

This one? https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6883734-CDC-Business-Plans.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

There are many good reasons to stay fit and if you do, and take common sense care of your body it will serve you fairly well. I do not want folks to become preoccupied with their lung function, just respectful of their lungs. The silly things work so well that they get taken for granted. They are quite durable so people feel they are indestructible. Loss of lung function is not simple to grasp and if covid19 has silver linings highlighting pulmonary function just might be one.

1 minute ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

There are many good reasons to stay fit and if you do, and take common sense care of your body it will serve you fairly well. I do not want folks to become preoccupied with their lung function, just respectful of their lungs. The silly things work so well that they get taken for granted. They are quite durable so people feel they are indestructible. Loss of lung function is not simple to grasp and if covid19 has silver linings highlighting pulmonary function just might be one.

Don't want to cause a national shortage but Pulse Oximeters are still plentiful here and cheap. Pulmonary function and Fever are easy to watch out for.

Roger

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

News from 6 weeks ago that has been beat to death in this thread.

Also largely debunked by the CDC, as evidenced by the radical change in policy.

Notice we don't hear from this guy anymore.

Now that it's in the West Wing, let's see if they grow a brain cell or two.

Fox and Friends and Friends and Friends of Friends. Good grief. Fox does have a news division, and those folks aren't part of it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Don't want to cause a national shortage but Pulse Oximeters are still plentiful here and cheap. Pulmonary function and Fever are easy to watch out for.

Roger

Pulse oximeters are the sloppiest measure of oxygen status. Proper interpretation of the saturation % requires a good understanding of oxygen transport. I call them the ‘idiot light’ for oxygen status. You can rely on them too much and get bit or you can become insane watching the values fluctuate with daily activities. Did you know that some of the wrist ‘fit bit’ devices actually have pulse oximeter functions built it? These are functions not yet activated due to regulations but the hardware is already installed and ready to use.

They are useful for covid19 only because of what I mentioned earlier. People are becoming hypoxic without the typical symptoms for pneumonia. Most of the time people are well aware that their lungs are ‘sick’ long before they desaturate that much and they seek care. Not so with covid19. 

• dtel locked this topic