Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

2 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

Even if the stockpile was replenished the responsibility lies with the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree to a point. Different states face different potential natural disasters. Some face earthquakes, others hurricanes or blizzards. I believe each state should prepare for its own peculiar disaster needs and for any potential mass casualty events...... like pandemics.  But on the national level we should sustain an emergency responsive posture for general needs of the citizens also. Hunger touches all Americans as does diseases. If it can cross state lines then the feds need to be able to assist as well.

And yeah, absolutely Trump had 3 years to prepare. I do not know if he personally declined to prepare but the buck stops on his desk. And Fauci was part of the Obama administration and he had to know the reserves had been tapped out. I am not handing out free passes to any politician. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

Even if the stockpile was replenished the responsibility lies with the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you are then saying that Prestige Ameritech, a medical supply company in Fort Worth, Texas should have contacted the state of Texas and not HHS?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

So you are then saying that Prestige Ameritech, a medical supply company in Fort Worth, Texas should have contacted the state of Texas and not HHS?

No reason the state could not have bought them........ or anyone for that matter. Did anyone buy them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, sputnik said:

I’m guessing that you missed the context of the content that I posted.

Never seen it, I rarely ever read here so I have no idea.  

55 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

As with our current administration the buck stops on the leaders desk with all administrations. Obama served for 8 years and no doubt had far more than one budget opportunity to address this issue. And since Obama dealt with several sizable influenza outbreaks and experienced the Ebola crisis he should’ve understood this need intimately. 

Did you have a chance to read through the article that I linked?  It outlined each year that Congress shortchanged the annual budget request made for the stockpile by the Obama administration. 

From the article:

“A 2010 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-funded report by the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials urged the federal government to treat public health preparedness “on par with federal and state funding for other national security response capabilities,” and said that its store of N95 masks should be “replenished for future events.” 

But efforts to bulk up the stockpile fell apart in tense standoffs between the Obama White House and congressional Republicans, according to administration and congressional officials involved in the negotiations. Had Congress kept funding at the 2010 level through the end of the Obama administration, the stockpile would have benefited from $321 million more than it ended up getting, according to budget documents reviewed by ProPublica. During the Trump administration, Congress started giving the stockpile more than the White House requested....

......During the Trump administration, the White House has consistently proposed cutting the CDC and the HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, which took over stockpile management from the CDC. Congress approved more stockpile funding than Trump’s budget requested in every year of his administration, for a combined $1.93 billion instead of $1.77 billion, according to budget documents.

The White House budget request for 2021, delivered in February as officials were already warning about the dangerous new coronavirus, proposed holding the stockpile’s funding flat at $705 million and cutting resources for the office that oversees it.”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

This is not political? These three idiots standing on the state house steps with the weapons?

image.thumb.jpeg.dd56df231f85c5870f565b0ec555928d.jpeg

Yeah, this might be a surprise, but I agree with you, @jimjimbo, these guys are idiots.  🤜🤛

The two on the left are obviously printing, right hip, 3:00 position.  The 4:00 position would have been smarter. 

And the two guys on the right, what were they thinking?  Bringing a high power scope to an urban setting?  We aren't elk hunting in Montana, gentlemen, not smart.

You see Jim?  We can get along and agree on something.  😎

• Haha 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.dd56df231f85c5870f565b0ec555928d.jpeg

Yeah, this might be a surprise, but I agree with you, Jimbo, these guys are idiots.  🤜🤛

The two on the left are obviously printing, right hip, 3:00 position.  The 4:00 position would have been smarter.  And the two guys on the right, what were they thinking?  Bringing a high power scope to an urban setting?  We aren't hunting in Montana, gentlemen.  Not smart.

The one in the middle is wearing motorcycle gloves. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sputnik said:

The one in the middle is wearing motorcycle gloves. 

I like your expert visual skills and analysis.  Nicely done to get to the important part of the picture, not dissimilar to my analysis directly upstream.

Good catch.  👍  🤓

2 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

I read a nice piece about the CEO of Prestige, one of the largest US producers of medical masks. It’s been a while so to paraphrase - 

he was asked why production wasn’t running 24/7 with additional personnel. Said he has been through this before, ramps up production for a current emergency, digs people out of their hole. And as soon as the need is over his “loyal” customers leave for a Chinese production, making him lay-off newly hired workers. He now gets paid contracts for current And future production to protect the workers he’s hired. It was easy to see the guy was tired of getting burned by those preaching “made in America” only when it serves their purpose in the moment. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The two on the left are obviously printing, right hip, 3:00 position.

True but legal with paperwork or without if you live in the right state. 

55 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

And the two guys on the right, what were they thinking?  Bringing a high power scope to an urban setting? 

True but really beside the point if your dragging around that kind of gun, a little large for an average problem you might encounter. 

I was not thinking they were not idiots, I don't see the point except to look imitating, which is not a good reason to carry a gun to start with IMO. Just not illegal or something that needs moderation. I am not going to look up every story and picture to know what is going on behind a picture.

For that exact reason I do not carry where it is visible even if you are looking for it, I would rather no one know. It's for personal protection only and I pray I never need it. You can not tell even with my shirt tucked in my pants, and it's not in my pocket, shirt or pants leg. I do not have a concealed carry permit but do not need one in this state and a few others, but I do plan on getting one. None are needed in states that are Constitutional Carry states.

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

You can not tell even with my shirt tucked in my pants, and it's not in my pocket, shirt or pants leg.

My Dad was a cop and when he stopped being on the streets, he wore a suit to work. My friends would get scared when they were over at out house, he’d get out of the car, sling his jacket over his shoulder, and there under his arm was the gun in a shoulder harness. He was a cool guy; but looked mean, rarely smiled and even more rarely spoke so when i had people over they were intimidated. 

i used to have some rifles but gave them away in my early 20s.  I’m not a fan of guns. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richieb said:

I read a nice piece about the CEO of Prestige, one of the largest US producers of medical masks. It’s been a while so to paraphrase - 

he was asked why production wasn’t running 24/7 with additional personnel. Said he has been through this before, ramps up production for a current emergency, digs people out of their hole. And as soon as the need is over his “loyal” customers leave for a Chinese production, making him lay-off newly hired workers. He now gets paid contracts for current And future production to protect the workers he’s hired. It was easy to see the guy was tired of getting burned by those preaching “made in America” only when it serves their purpose in the moment. 

I read something last month, but it was from one of the disinfectant manufacturers and they were saying that there is a fear that (paraphrase) when the panic buying is over, they don’t want to be stuck with an abundance of product in their warehouse and no more buyers.  

I wonder how Lysol would charge me just to make me one bottle of spray?

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

My Dad was a cop and when he stopped being on the streets, he wore a suit to work. My friends would get scared when they were over at out house, he’d get out of the car, sling his jacket over his shoulder, and there under his arm was the gun in a shoulder harness. He was a cool guy; but looked mean, rarely smiled and even more rarely spoke so when i had people over they were intimidated. 

i used to have some rifles but gave them away in my early 20s.  I’m not a fan of guns. 

He probably was intimidating, that's a very tough job and you see alot of situations that are just plain sad. And I would think it is much worse today, they should get paid MUCH more than they do.

Been having a gun since I was about 10 for hunting my dad gave me, never had much else until later.  Not a big hobby for me but have a few and they rarely get used, definitely not a collector to me there just tools.

I had a holster like that once when I did insurance work, you could not see it when I had my jacket on, and they are comfortable.

• Like 2

• dtel locked this topic