Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

1 minute ago, sputnik said:

This is the link that I posted and referenced:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/what-are-we-doing-doctors-are-fed-conspiracies-ravaging-ers-n1201446

I think you’re referring to an article that was posted by another member that I quoted.  I was only commenting on the photo from that article.

You are very right. I clicked on the like that was posted in one of your responses. 

My apologies 

• Thanks 1

Opening “phase one” around the five county KC area. What I don’t understand is restaurants are included in this opening, bars are not. Most restaurants have bars within them, most bars serve food - walking a fine line I’d say —. So glad all the brainiacs nationwide are in governmental positions of responsibility/decision making — 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, richieb said:

Opening “phase one” around the five county KC area. What I don’t understand is restaurants are included in this opening, bars are not. Most restaurants have bars within them, most bars serve food - walking a fine line I’d say —. So glad all the brainiacs nationwide are in governmental positions of responsibility/decision making — 

Same here.  Restaurants at 25% occupancy and bars still closed.

3 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

While we can’t get enough food,  exports continue.  What a surprise:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-meat-workers-fall-sick-052127838.html

Maynard

dont forget CANADA -------

These are the meat plants in Canada affected by the coronavirus outbreak

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/these-are-the-meat-plants-in-canada-affected-by-the-coronavirus-outbreak-1.4916957

56 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

As of this morning, the percentage of people who have died from the Wuhan virus in the United States is .000242% of the total population.  Just thought that was interesting.

USA  81000 deaths sounds about right for covid 19 -------that's about the population of TROY CITY MICHIGAN -------gone

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Same here.  Restaurants at 25% occupancy and bars still closed.

You’ve got us beat - 10/10 rule. Ten people or ten % of building occupancy rating. Don’t understand that if a small restaurant has an occupancy of 200 that only 20 people can be served. The business is probably better off being closed and serving drive through only. 
I saw an interview with a major NY restauranteur and founder of Shake Shack about % of occupancy to make opening viable. He said he has yet to figure out how an occupancy of  anything less than 75-80% makes a restaurant profitable. 

What is worse. 

A. Covid 19

B. Collapse of the economy (no food = murder en masse)

Forget the massive amount of doctors coming out left and right telling us that the effects of covid 19 are FAR FAR less than predicted. The death toll FAR less than predicted. Forget that the death numbers have been padded. Forget that the "virus" seems to encapsulate the symptoms of just about every illness known to man and this varies from person to person. If none of that makes you skeptical, or question what is going on, then I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arkansas for pennies on the dollar. 

But even that being said. None of that matters if we stay inside thinking we are making a difference while the economy around us collapses. I can tell you for certain, 100% that when people are being kicked out of their homes from no money, have no food due to a lack of money that poo will hit the fan. If that continues and we lose power and or water....games over. 

If Covid mortality rate was 25%, we would STILL be better off working and keeping the economy afloat. Study the Holodomor, people die FAST in the 10's of millions when food and water are not readily available. 

Edited by Raygun

Reported figures put infections/deaths in the US at about 25% of infections/deaths in the world.  We only have 5% of the world's population.  

I wonder how many deaths were reported in the US from ALL causes during the same period of time for this year and the previous 5 years.  Is there a Covid uptick, or not?

1 hour ago, 000 said:

USA  81000 deaths sounds about right for covid 19 -------that's about the population of TROY CITY MICHIGAN -------gone

23 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Reported figures put infections/deaths in the US at about 25% of infections/deaths in the world.  We only have 5% of the world's population.  

I wonder how many deaths were reported in the US from ALL causes during the same period of time for this year and the previous 5 years.  Is there a Covid uptick, or not?

The link below has a very good interactive map that will show cases or fatalities.

As of May 7 in the US: 1,332,411 confirmed cases, 79,606 deaths, and 216,169 recovered.

I’m guessing that means 295,775 “resolved” cases leaving 1,036,636 active confirmed cases.

Just under 27% patient mortality for the “resolved” cases so far.  No idea if the trend in that percentage is going down or up.  I suspect (hope) it’s going down but if it held steady at 27%, that would mean nearly 280,000 more deaths if applied to the current active confirmed case number.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2020/03/10/us-coronavirus-map-tracking-united-states-outbreak/4945223002/

31 minutes ago, Raygun said:

What is worse. 

A. Covid 19

B. Collapse of the economy (no food = murder en masse)

Forget the massive amount of doctors coming out left and right telling us that the effects of covid 19 are FAR FAR less than predicted. The death toll FAR less than predicted. Forget that the death numbers have been padded. Forget that the "virus" seems to encapsulate the symptoms of just about every illness known to man and this varies from person to person. If none of that makes you skeptical, or question what is going on, then I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arkansas for pennies on the dollar. 

But even that being said. None of that matters if we stay inside thinking we are making a difference while the economy around us collapses. I can tell you for certain, 100% that when people are being kicked out of their homes from no money, have no food due to a lack of money that poo will hit the fan. If that continues and we lose power and or water....games over. 

If Covid mortality rate was 25%, we would STILL be better off working and keeping the economy afloat. Study the Holodomor, people die FAST in the 10's of millions when food and water are not readily available. 

Despite our divisions, I think we’re a better society than that.  How much land in Arkansas are you talking about there?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sputnik said:

The link below has a very good interactive map that will show cases or fatalities.

As of today in the US: 1,332,411 confirmed cases, 79,606 deaths, and 216,169 recovered.

I’m guessing that means 295,775 “resolved” cases leaving 1,036,636 active confirmed cases.

Just under 27% patient mortality for the “resolved” cases so far.  No idea if the trend in that percentage is going down or up.  I suspect (hope) it’s going down but if it held steady at 27%, that would mean nearly 280,000 more deaths if applied to the current active confirmed case number.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2020/03/10/us-coronavirus-map-tracking-united-states-outbreak/4945223002/

It would be gracious if we could put names to these numbers and whether they were men-women or children , and where they lived in the USA ---and so far , I have no yet seen any moment of silence or moment of National Sorrow  ,  will we ever ,  be , the same , again

44 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Maybe if hospitals in other countries received $13,000 for each diagnosed case their numbers would be higher also.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Maybe if hospitals in other countries received $13,000 for each diagnosed case their numbers would be higher also.

the 13k$ represents the risk that is payed per patient and the inherent risk  , I would not take that risk , even for 13k$ -----

1 minute ago, 000 said:

the 13k$ represents the risk that is payed per patient and the inherent risk  , I would not take that risk , even for 13k$ -----

Don't think he was going down the risk path.  More like fuzzy math on cases introduced by the enticement of $$. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 000 said:

You're missing my point.  It's not beyond the realm of possibility that hospitals are being generous with the diagnosis of covid to receive government monies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

There are questions about America’s covid19 statistics and I think we at least attempt to be accurate. But elsewhere you can be certain that covid19 statistics are way off base. So it is pointless to try and make any inferences based on the available data.

Keep in mind also that we’re still on the covid19 learning curve. We still do not understand the full impact of these infections especially in the long term. We know that other infections damage heart valves resulting in cardiac disease. We know that serious lung infections leave scar tissue in their wake. For the time being we’re just trying to survive the initial presentation of covid19 and not allow it to go rogue. We are learning. We know who is more susceptible in the acute phase. But we most certainly do not know it all.

It appears that our communities must get back to work at some covid19 cost. The elderly, the infirm, the diabetics and others whom are covid19 targets will need to stay low. Guess we should be happy it’s not children (as far as we know). We can all hope that medical science brings us a workable management scheme for covid19 quickly. In the interim if I were young and not in the known high risk population I’d still not be smug about contracting covid19. All of those occult covid19 infections may have far more dire consequences later in life. So everyone really must remain vigilant and work to not get or spread this virus. We still do not know everything about this bug and what we do know is pretty scary stuff. The situation merits everyone’s respect and highest possible concern.

• dtel locked this topic